UnderGround Forums

Canada UnderGround >> Training in Kelowna

11/2/09 2:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Isweepayou
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Guys,

I have lurked on here for a while but never needed an account till now.

I have just moved to Kelowna and I am wondering what my options are for training. I am interested in mostly Jiu-Jitsu and sub wrestling.

i know about Toshido run by Dave Lea

There is also RDC run by Sterling? who is a Marc Laimon brown belt.

I have heard there is also a gracie barra school now??

Also I have heard that there is a BJJ black belt named Tony teaching out of Kelowna. Can anybody tell me anything about him or his club.

Thanks guys
11/2/09 4:05 PM
UGHH

I'd say RDC Jiu Jitsu is your best bet, they are by far the most established Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school in Kelowna, and have one the top competition teams in B.C. They also offer Judo on Mondays and Wrestling on Fridays.
11/2/09 4:33 PM
David Lea
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Team Toshido MMA, Owner
If you're looking for No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu geared towards MMA, then you have to checkout our school, Toshido MMA. I'm a No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt awarded by MMA Legend Chris Brennan. We've produced 5 National Champions, a World Champion, and our fighter Rory MacDonald has just been signed to the UFC.

For Sport BJJ, I would checkout Sterling at RDC. He's produced some great Sport Jiu-jitsu competitors, and has been part of the Kelowna Jiu-Jitsu scene for a long time now. He's a BJJ Brown Belt under Marc Laimon.

I also believe that Mario from Schushwap BJJ (GB) has an affiliate school out of the Bissett Jiu-Jitsu academy. I don't know who's running classes, but Mario comes on here and would be able to give you the details.

Tony is a Marcus Soares Purple Belt, and hasn't run a BJJ class in a while now. That being said, he's a great guy and would be an assett to train with if you get the chance.
11/2/09 4:46 PM
UGHH

There's also Iron Dragon MMA, that just recently opened up, ran by Norm Millross, don't know too much about them but I'm sure they're worth checking out as well.
11/2/09 5:29 PM
Gracie Barra Vernon

Isweepayou - Hey Guys,

I have lurked on here for a while but never needed an account till now.

I have just moved to Kelowna and I am wondering what my options are for training. I am interested in mostly Jiu-Jitsu and sub wrestling.

There are a lot of good choices for you to choose from and I'd say shop around and talk to the owners and decide what place fits your training needs.

As far as GB Kelowna is concerned: It's is run by a purple belt Jordan Reichenbach who is a friend of mine and Dave Rothwell. Jordan grew up in Kelowna and has always wanted to open up a school there, he's trying to make his goals a reality and both Dave and I are trying to help him along the way. 

Jorden has lots of competition experience and has won at the PanAms, American Nationals, Europeans and will be in a Superfight against a Brown belt at the up coming Rev tourny etc...
With that said....Jorden is very capable of teaching Brazilian Ji-Jitsu and very loyal to his students.

Yes he runs his club at the old Bissett club, but Jorden will be moving locations in the next few weeks to a newer and bigger facility with new mats and more parking (he's working hard at preping it).

If you have any questions for him you can reach him at 250-826-4251

Good luck!

Mario
11/2/09 6:24 PM
D.Rothwell
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mario,

You said it nicely,

I have travelled to LA and competed alongside Jorden many times now and all I can say he is becoming more of a force everytime I see him compete and when I train with him. He will be one to watch on his road to black belt and I highly recommend trying out his club.

Gracie Barra Kelowna will be seeing alot of Mario and myself over the next couple of years, not to mention some guys you might call legends aswell, Few names, well lets start with Rodrigo Carvallho in late January, Marcio Feitosa and at some point Carlos Gracie Jr. Aswell to keep our mma students happy we will bring Renato Sobral(Babalu)

GB Vernon will be starting a mma program soon, and I know mma will be in the works at GB Kelowna aswell.

Dave
11/3/09 3:03 AM
D.Rothwell
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and RDC does offer more that gi bjj, these guys did tear it up at the last couple of tournies gi and no gi, they have a good group check them out for sure.

Their head instructor Laimon is good at both and had some big no gi wins a few years back.

Dave
11/3/09 3:05 AM
D.Rothwell

But of course you got to check out GB Kelowna because I will be teaching there soon,:)

(Mario already is once every two weeks

Dave
11/3/09 3:22 AM
Gracie Barra Vernon

D.Rothwell - and RDC does offer more that gi bjj, these guys did tear it up at the last couple of tournies gi and no gi, they have a good group check them out for sure.

Their head instructor Laimon is good at both and had some big no gi wins a few years back.

Dave
Obviously....
www.grappling-core.com/videos/_Chris_Westside_Strangler_Brennan_vs_Marc_Laimon

11/3/09 8:48 PM
superB
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hey sweep

I train at RDC with sterling redlack. Awesome club. great atmosphere. slickest jiu-jitsu in town. we run gi and no-gi programs with full judo and wrestling classes as well as an mma class for more experienced guys. come check it out, you wont be dissapointed. lots of purples on the mat every night and a slew of blue belts now. the judo coach is a jerk tho, id watch out for him ;-)

ive only met jordan from the barra club once but he seems like a good guy and if super and mario vouch for him then thats good by me.

dave lea has already given you the run down on his club.

i had heard tony was teaching somewhere. where did you here that he was a black belt? as far as i know i think tony is a purple belt.

any other questions feel free to ask

coop
11/4/09 2:45 AM
Isweepayou

Yhanks guys! great responses.

I am definitely looking to train with the gi as well as without.

RDC looks promising as I would love to learn some wrestling and Judo as well.

David Lea- does toshido offer any gi classes or is it strictly mma nogi?

SuperB- I have a friend of a friend who took the mma class at one of the high schools in kelowna and he was telling us about Tony. They said he had his black belt. I am sorry if that is inaccurate but thats what a couple of the guys told me.

Thanks
11/4/09 1:38 PM
David Lea
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Team Toshido MMA, Owner
Isweepayou - 

David Lea- does toshido offer any gi classes or is it strictly mma nogi?

Thanks

Isweepayou,

We only do no-gi focused towards MMA. If you're looking for traning in the gi, I would highly recommend checking out one of the other places mentioned above. You can't go wrong.
11/4/09 5:30 PM
Foos
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/04/09 5:31 PM
I train at Toshido and love it. It has a great atmosphere, great teaching, and great training partners.

What I would do is try a class at all the schools mentioned then make a decision.

Good Luck!
11/9/09 4:25 PM
purple piranha
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recommend training with Mario and Supa Dave because they are dreamy!
11/9/09 4:28 PM
guardbr8kr

purple piranha is on the Canadian UG !! Awesomeness!!
11/10/09 2:49 AM
Gracie Barra Vernon

Edited: 11/10/09 2:50 AM

Congrats to Jorden Reichenbach on his Super fight win against a tough and game brown belt Ahmad Rakan!
Good hard fight by both guys, props to both of you!

Thanks piranah....i think.  ;)

7/16/10 2:24 PM
falcons

Tony Williamson is a black belt in Japanese Ju jitsu, maybe that we the confusion comes from. He has run the Okanagan Grappling club on Hunter Court in Kelowna since the fall of 2009. They have a group on facebook for more info. They share the facility with the community wrestling club.

Seems to be a serious official by what is on the web page and I know he just finished officiating at the recent UFC in Vancouver.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.