UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Dead Bodies on Mount Everest

4/21/10 3:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PR
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crazy shit, keep this updated please
4/21/10 3:50 AM
jcblass
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/21/10 3:55 AM
I had the privilege to watch Jamie Clarke speak at a business summit. He is an adventurer who climbed everest before going on the speaking tour. His presentation is amazing and motivational.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvr7DNP3Ph4

If anyone can find any of his full speeches. they are very worthwhile.

With that said, I absolutely could not sleep at night knowing me and 20 of my friends walked by another climber alive but about to die. What selfish assholes, perhaps mountaineering is not for me, but I can't imagine living with myself, then having the audacity to tell people about it on a documentary meant to make me look cool.
4/21/10 4:58 AM
PR
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jcblass - With that said, I absolutely could not sleep at night knowing me and 20 of my friends walked by another climber alive but about to die. What selfish assholes, perhaps mountaineering is not for me, but I can't imagine living with myself, then having the audacity to tell people about it on a documentary meant to make me look cool.

The reason why you can't imagine it, is because you haven't been there. And you haven't felt the true its-him-or-me knock on Death's Door.
4/21/10 10:32 AM
hey mes
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

those climbers aren't anything compared to the guides that take them up there.
4/21/10 12:49 PM
crazydave
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roastbeef - 
var so = new SWFObject("http://www.youtube.com/v/5zkC9IMQmYA&hl=en&fs=1&", "postVideo-27982164-Flash", "425", "355", "9.0.28", "##000"); so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "samedomain"); so.addParam("allowNetworking", "internal"); so.addParam("wmode", "transparent"); so.write("postVideo-27982164"); Ratio of death to summit for Everest compared to K2 is :

Everest, 4000 summits 210 deaths
K2 253 summits 77 deaths , 1 in 7 summiters die on way down.

From the video above. Talks about the difficulty of climbing Everest vs K2, losing 30lbs climbing k2, pissing blood, watching a guy fall 5000 ft down a mountain and other stuff.

that was amazing
4/21/10 1:01 PM
crazydave
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

[quote]Gonzo45 - [quote]springfield -  Göran Kropp:  He didn't die on Everest but biked from Sweden to Everest and then climbed it without extra oxygen. For his famous 1996 ascent, Kropp left Jönköping on October 16, 1995, on a specially-designed bicycle with 108 kg (240 lb) of gear and food. He traveled 8,000 miles on the bicycle and arrived at Everest Base Camp in April 1996. Following a meeting of all of the Everest expeditions currently on the mountain, it was agreed that Kropp would attempt to summit first. On May 3, Kropp blazed a trail through thigh-deep snow and reached a point 300 feet from the summit. However, Kropp decided to turn around, believing that he would be too tired to descend safely if he went up further. While Kropp recovered from the ordeal at base camp, the 1996 Everest Disaster unfolded. Kropp helped bring medicine up the mountain. Three weeks later, on May 23, Kropp again tackled the mountain, this time successfully summitting (without extra oxygen support). He then cycled home.[1] He returned to Everest in 1999 with girlfriend Renata Chlumska to undertake a cleanup, during which they removed 25 discarded canisters from the mountain. They also made a successful summit attempt together. [/quote]  this dude may be the epitome of badass[/quote] 

4/21/10 1:39 PM
truthisalive
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Amazing thread, and if you have checked out this thread you owe it to your self to read Into Thin Air. It was an amazing read and you feel as if your climbing with that fateful group of individuals. The asian lady that died always bothered me for some reason...excellent book to a tragic story.
6/21/10 8:15 PM
32Hunter

ttt and there"s a show about some expedition on Nation Geographic right now The Climb. mon 8et.
6/21/10 11:57 PM
east
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crazydave - [quote]Gonzo45 - [quote]springfield -  Göran Kropp:  He didn't die on Everest but biked from Sweden to Everest and then climbed it without extra oxygen. For his famous 1996 ascent, Kropp left Jönköping on October 16, 1995, on a specially-designed bicycle with 108 kg (240 lb) of gear and food. He traveled 8,000 miles on the bicycle and arrived at Everest Base Camp in April 1996. Following a meeting of all of the Everest expeditions currently on the mountain, it was agreed that Kropp would attempt to summit first. On May 3, Kropp blazed a trail through thigh-deep snow and reached a point 300 feet from the summit. However, Kropp decided to turn around, believing that he would be too tired to descend safely if he went up further. While Kropp recovered from the ordeal at base camp, the 1996 Everest Disaster unfolded. Kropp helped bring medicine up the mountain. Three weeks later, on May 23, Kropp again tackled the mountain, this time successfully summitting (without extra oxygen support). He then cycled home.[1] He returned to Everest in 1999 with girlfriend Renata Chlumska to undertake a cleanup, during which they removed 25 discarded canisters from the mountain. They also made a successful summit attempt together. [/quote]  this dude may be the epitome of badass[/quote] 

Dood summitted Everest twice and dies in a climbing accident in Washington.

6/21/10 11:58 PM
Missing Glove Tape

Crazy shit, mang!
6/22/10 9:47 AM
MichaelVronsky
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for more everest stories!
6/22/10 10:12 AM
StephenL

jcblass 

With that said, I absolutely could not sleep at night knowing me and 20 of my friends walked by another climber alive but about to die. What selfish assholes, perhaps mountaineering is not for me, but I can't imagine living with myself, then having the audacity to tell people about it on a documentary meant to make me look cool.

so you give money to every homeless person who is holding a sign?

i don't.

stephen
6/23/10 12:58 AM
lawrenceofidaho
747 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/23/10 1:01 AM
east - 
crazydave - 
Gonzo45 - 
springfield -  Göran Kropp:  He didn't die on Everest but biked from Sweden to Everest and then climbed it without extra oxygen. For his famous 1996 ascent, Kropp left Jönköping on October 16, 1995, on a specially-designed bicycle with 108 kg (240 lb) of gear and food. He traveled 8,000 miles on the bicycle and arrived at Everest Base Camp in April 1996. Following a meeting of all of the Everest expeditions currently on the mountain, it was agreed that Kropp would attempt to summit first. On May 3, Kropp blazed a trail through thigh-deep snow and reached a point 300 feet from the summit. However, Kropp decided to turn around, believing that he would be too tired to descend safely if he went up further. While Kropp recovered from the ordeal at base camp, the 1996 Everest Disaster unfolded. Kropp helped bring medicine up the mountain. Three weeks later, on May 23, Kropp again tackled the mountain, this time successfully summitting (without extra oxygen support). He then cycled home.[1] He returned to Everest in 1999 with girlfriend Renata Chlumska to undertake a cleanup, during which they removed 25 discarded canisters from the mountain. They also made a successful summit attempt together.
  this dude may be the epitome of badass

Dood summitted Everest twice and dies in a climbing accident in Washington.

Failure of safety equipment resulted in a 75' fall. 

Here is the route he was climbing (Frenchman Coulee - "Air Guitar": 5-10a)

6/23/10 6:00 AM
newbyfan

sadic1 - Bunch of dumbasses. Climbing Everest has become a rich guy's adventure tourist trap. They fucking wait in line like they're at the DMV to climb each stage and do it just so they can say they did it.

6/23/10 6:48 AM
iclimb513
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ It's sort of true, and IIRC the crowdedness of the mountain was a direct cause of the 1996 disaster, in that everyone was backed up all over the place waiting on a bottleneck at the Hillary Step. That would have had to been the most maddening thing ever. I can't even imagine...
9/26/10 10:55 PM
adrenochrome
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/26/10 10:55 PM
They are about to show "Dying on Everest" on the Documentary Channel.
2/12/11 1:01 AM
5 for fighting
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
2/12/11 1:25 AM
MikeD

One of my fav threads ever.
6/24/11 12:37 AM
HereWeAre

ttt
6/24/11 1:01 AM
Ligeia420

ttt
6/24/11 9:26 PM
cottonzway
497 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
6/25/11 6:51 PM
RONINXOM
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subd
7/6/11 11:52 AM
The Kangaroo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
3/8/13 11:55 PM
Jo'donnell-Davies
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

scaling mountains scares the shit out of me

3/9/13 2:35 AM
PR

wow 55,555 views... of course I had to view the thread to post this so...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.