UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Dead Bodies on Mount Everest

3/9/13 2:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PR
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PR - 
jcblass - With that said, I absolutely could not sleep at night knowing me and 20 of my friends walked by another climber alive but about to die. What selfish assholes, perhaps mountaineering is not for me, but I can't imagine living with myself, then having the audacity to tell people about it on a documentary meant to make me look cool.

The reason why you can't imagine it, is because you haven't been there. And you haven't felt the true its-him-or-me knock on Death's Door.

wow I posted that 3 years ago and am now amazed at my awesomeness.
3/12/13 2:01 PM
RefriedJinx
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PR - 
PR - 
jcblass - With that said, I absolutely could not sleep at night knowing me and 20 of my friends walked by another climber alive but about to die. What selfish assholes, perhaps mountaineering is not for me, but I can't imagine living with myself, then having the audacity to tell people about it on a documentary meant to make me look cool.

The reason why you can't imagine it, is because you haven't been there. And you haven't felt the true its-him-or-me knock on Death's Door.

Good point PR
3/12/13 5:08 PM
splinter
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey, Jinx is back!

Dan Simmons wrote a cool little short story about a group of climbers (and an alien) climbing K2.
3/26/13 9:07 AM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool thread. While I have never been to the Himalaya or anything over 14,000', the White Mountains in the winter are no picnic. Until you've been there, you don't know how thin of a line you are walking between life and death. Trying to extricate a human body down 45 degree snow slopes and glaciers strewn with crevasses while teetering on the brink of death yourself is impossibly hard. The best mountaineers in the world have friends die high on the mountains, and even they can't recover the bodies. That should tell you something about the conditions there.

People say climbing Everest is easy. It's essentially a long hike with the exception of the Hillary Step. That said, it's a hike where a single misstep could end your life. Shit is crazy. I absolutely love the mountains. I climb, and I enjoy testing myself in dangerous environments. I don't think I'd ever tackle Everest though. Odds are you'll be fine if you don't do anything stupid, but there is just so much there that kill you that you have no control over what-so-ever. It's crazy risky. I don't think people respect it enough.
3/26/13 6:14 PM
BadRed
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adventure Runner - Cool thread. While I have never been to the Himalaya or anything over 14,000', the White Mountains in the winter are no picnic. Until you've been there, you don't know how thin of a line you are walking between life and death. Trying to extricate a human body down 45 degree snow slopes and glaciers strewn with crevasses while teetering on the brink of death yourself is impossibly hard. The best mountaineers in the world have friends die high on the mountains, and even they can't recover the bodies. That should tell you something about the conditions there.

People say climbing Everest is easy. It's essentially a long hike with the exception of the Hillary Step. That said, it's a hike where a single misstep could end your life. Shit is crazy. I absolutely love the mountains. I climb, and I enjoy testing myself in dangerous environments. I don't think I'd ever tackle Everest though. Odds are you'll be fine if you don't do anything stupid, but there is just so much there that kill you that you have no control over what-so-ever. It's crazy risky. I don't think people respect it enough.

So true. Anyone who says Everest is a cakewalk is a fool.

Even if you do EVERYTHING RIGHT you stand a chance of dying on Everest...

- Necessary Experience...CHECK!

- Followed Proven Acclimatization Process...CHECK!

- Plenty of Bottled Gas...CHECK!

- Uber Guides w/You Every Step of the Way...CHECK!

- Personal Momento To Place On Summit...CHECK!

- Reach Summit w/Plenty of Time To Spare...CHECK!

- On The Way Back Dow....Onset of H.A.C.E....Die long before reaching base camp...CHECK!
5/6/13 1:22 AM
Jambo888
408 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shitty traffic jam last may.

5/6/13 2:52 AM
iclimb513
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As if simply climbing the mountain wasn't hard enough, now you have to worry about disgruntled sherpas throwing down in the death zone:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/29/world/asia/nepal-mount-everest-fight
5/6/13 11:54 AM
MichaelVronsky
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^holy shit!

seems pretty hard to believe.
5/6/13 11:59 AM
angryinch

I don't see the appeal.  If it was desolate and you were alone up there it would be cool but now it's like the NYC subway during morning rush hour.  Fuck that.  

5/6/13 12:30 PM
Jambo888
408 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

angryinch - 

I don't see the appeal.  If it was desolate and you were alone up there it would be cool but now it's like the NYC subway during morning rush hour.  Fuck that.  

yeah but its still an amazing feat and view from the top... nowhere near the remote and unknown challenge it once was but if you're not as hard core a climber can't do the more challenging and dangerous stuff wouldn't it be awesome? even with 300 other people?

5/6/13 1:40 PM
lawrenceofidaho
858 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/6/13 4:33 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

iclimb513 - As if simply climbing the mountain wasn't hard enough, now you have to worry about disgruntled sherpas throwing down in the death zone:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/29/world/asia/nepal-mount-everest-fight

I heard from direct sources that this was pretty crazy. 

Ueli Steck got worked over hard.

1/22/14 11:09 PM
Rough Bearing
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't climb Everest. I can't even begin to imagine how arrogant that base camp would be. A lot of those mountaineers have a very "holier thou" attitude. I do admire people who seek out their dream though. Everest does have that notion that because its the highest its the hardest...but I think the medal for the most difficult summit goes to K2.
2/26/14 10:45 PM
croaker
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I remember right part of K2's reputation as the widowmaker comes at the summit. Apparently it's a pain to get there. Then, unlike Everest, it's a technical climb at the end to get to the top

Then you've got to get down. I think that I read that a bunch of people get to the top, but something like one in four don't come all the way down
2/27/14 12:17 AM
RONINXOM
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

croaker - If I remember right part of K2's reputation as the widowmaker comes at the summit. Apparently it's a pain to get there. Then, unlike Everest, it's a technical climb at the end to get to the top

Then you've got to get down. I think that I read that a bunch of people get to the top, but something like one in four don't come all the way down
Wow Phone Post 3.0
3/18/14 7:16 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub

3/18/14 7:28 PM
BadDog

RONINXOM -
croaker - If I remember right part of K2's reputation as the widowmaker comes at the summit. Apparently it's a pain to get there. Then, unlike Everest, it's a technical climb at the end to get to the top

Wow Phone Post 3.0
Absolutely true.

Last time I summited K2 was without bottled gas and I was operating with a compound fracture of my left tibia as a result of my successful summit of Mt. Baldy the previous day. It was difficult, but I'm proud that I was able to accomplish the solo ascent with no Sherpa support and just my team back at base camp cheering me on. Phone Post 3.0
3/18/14 11:29 PM
BadDog

Rough Bearing - I wouldn't climb Everest. I can't even begin to imagine how arrogant that base camp would be. A lot of those mountaineers have a very "holier thou" attitude. I do admire people who seek out their dream though. Everest does have that notion that because its the highest its the hardest...but I think the medal for the most difficult summit goes to K2.
This is definitely true. Phone Post 3.0
3/19/14 8:37 AM
RJJH
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PR - 
PR - 

LOL.

3/24/14 3:27 PM
Rough Bearing
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BadDog - 
RONINXOM -

Wow Phone Post 3.0
Absolutely true.

Last time I summited K2 was without bottled gas and I was operating with a compound fracture of my left tibia as a result of my successful summit of Mt. Baldy the previous day. It was difficult, but I'm proud that I was able to accomplish the solo ascent with no Sherpa support and just my team back at base camp cheering me on. Phone Post 3.0

Pardon me? The last time you summited K2?!? You summited K2? That is an amazing amazing feat, my friend. You have my most instant and profound respect. K2 is for the warriors amongst the warriors. I would love to hear more about this man. You've got balls to tackle something that has a 1 in 4 mortality rate.

How much did it cost? How did you establish your crew? How were the sherpas? How were the fellow climbers? I want to hear about this!

3/24/14 3:28 PM
Rough Bearing

Documentary looking at how 11 climbers were killed during a descent of K2 in August 2008. The series of events is retold through re-creations, home-movie foo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MpiM-5w5MA

This documentary is AMAZING....
3/24/14 7:38 PM
iclimb513
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rough Bearing - 
BadDog - 
RONINXOM -

Wow Phone Post 3.0
Absolutely true.

Pardon me? The last time you summited K2?!? You summited K2? That is an amazing amazing feat, my friend. You have my most instant and profound respect. K2 is for the warriors amongst the warriors. I would love to hear more about this man. You've got balls to tackle something that has a 1 in 4 mortality rate.

How much did it cost? How did you establish your crew? How were the sherpas? How were the fellow climbers? I want to hear about this!

Not to mention doing it without supplemental O2, without any sherpas, totally solo, AND a *compound* fracture (that's where the bone is sticking out of the skin) of the tibia, sustained on an ascent (and decent) of another peak the day before.

Bad Dog = Reinhold Messner + Uli Steck's love child.

Or possibly fucking with us. I'm 50/50.
3/24/14 10:33 PM
BadDog

iclimb513 -
Rough Bearing - 
BadDog - 
RONINXOM -

Wow Phone Post 3.0
Absolutely true.

Not to mention doing it without supplemental O2, without any sherpas, totally solo, AND a *compound* fracture (that's where the bone is sticking out of the skin) of the tibia, sustained on an ascent (and decent) of another peak the day before.

"OR fucking with us."

I can't imagine doing that.....

...or can I? Phone Post 3.0
3/25/14 12:52 AM
al neri
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BadDog -
RONINXOM -

Wow Phone Post 3.0
Absolutely true.

Lulz. Phone Post 3.0
3/27/14 1:26 PM
Rough Bearing

iclimb513 - 
Rough Bearing - 
BadDog - 
RONINXOM -

Wow Phone Post 3.0
Absolutely true.

No shit, eh. I can't see how it would be possible to summit any mountain above 8000m with a sprained ankle - yet alone your tibia shooting out your leg. He seems to speak with confidence though! I would think if someone actually did summit K2 with a compound fracture and no bottled oxygen your face would grace the cover of a few alpinist magazines until your inevitable movie came out.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.