UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Dead Bodies on Mount Everest

11/4/09 9:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bry Bry
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jesus quintana-no, terrible comparison...look at the people that have died climbing mt everest as compared to the people that have successfuly climbed it..then, look at the stats of people that have competed in mma compared to the people that have died in mma....the stats dont even compare, completely different worlds...

climbing mt everest is tempting fate, bottom line...
11/4/09 9:35 AM
Stronghold
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, does this qualify as 'burning out' or 'fading away'?
11/4/09 9:35 AM
Hired Gun
356 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Couldn't they just put them in a big snowball and let them roll down the mountain?
11/4/09 9:41 AM
cluster
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When you climb the mountain (or any mountain really), I'm guessing there's only one or a few routes you can take? If so, do you pass these bodies as you go up? And if so, are they "landmarks?" 'Cause that would be fucked up.
11/4/09 9:51 AM
Justafriend

whats very sad is the selfishness of some climbers. Most just continued and ignored calls for help. Do i continue to the summit or do i rescue my fellow climber..
I remember the heroism of one russian and a sherpa who rescued a couple of people, i think they were with the same party as the famous American(forgot the name)who perished and can now be seen frozen in one of the pics.. Strange how the body releases the warm blood back to the limbs just prior to death, making it warm and some start to unzip..
11/4/09 10:04 AM
disbeliever
261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
11/4/09 10:19 AM
sadic1

People pay $200k to climb Everest, so they don't want to be inconvenienced and risk the attainment of their status symbol by helping someone who is going to die.
11/4/09 10:21 AM
Big Pun
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's impossible for them to help.
11/4/09 10:22 AM
CDarwin
461 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^WHy not just wrap it in a plastic and give it a shove, passing by?
11/4/09 10:29 AM
Bry Bry

titus pullo-it isnt really, its more of a challenge to see how tough/brave you are...mankind has always gotten something out of looking death in the eye...thats why many people basejump, thats why evil knievel did what he did...some people find it boring to play it safe...living dangerously i guess....oh and yeah its very stupid imo...
11/4/09 10:29 AM
disbeliever
261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sadic1 - People pay $200k to climb Everest, so they don't want to be inconvenienced and risk the attainment of their status symbol by helping someone who is going to die.

They cannot help or save people. Have you watched any documentary on climbing this mountain? People have tried to save others, and either end up dead themselves or have to give up. Your talking about being 20,000 + feet up, where oxygen is very low, its obviously very cold, and weather changes hour to hour. People just dont have the energy or mental capacity to effect a rescue operation. People know that if you get into trouble up there, your odds of surviving are not good.
11/4/09 10:51 AM
sadic1

I have watched documentaries on climbing Everest. It's a bunch of people waiting in line, bitching about other groups who are trying to do the same thing they are and that ny now, tons of people have done. I understand and appreciate that people like to push their bodies to the limit, but all things considered, it's still a rich boy's game, done with a lot of help and equipment. It's simply not an environment where the human body can live unaided, so you might as well be going to the moon with a space suit and a rocket. To me, if you want to prove something, you should go into an environment that humamns were made to live in and where you don't need a lot of money and equipment, but is just really difficult and dangerous, like deep in the Amazon, or Africa, or Newark.
11/4/09 10:54 AM
splinter
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crazy fucking pics.
11/4/09 11:27 AM
CoreNobody
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most interesting thread jinx has ever done.
11/4/09 11:48 AM
thePetester

LOL @ people on this thread mocking people who die climbing this mountain then turn around and give grabblers credit for 'laying it on the line!'

*This does NOT mean I did not IC at some of the posts made
11/4/09 12:12 PM
Big Pun
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You cannot honestly believe people would not return those bodies if they could.  It is physically impossible.  Even teams dedicated to corpse retrieval cannot do it.  The air is too thin and you cannot take enough oxygen to sustain yourself with just your supplies.  Add having to carry anything else and it is just over.  Even the Sherpas (sp?) don't attempt it.
11/4/09 12:19 PM
lawrenceofidaho
757 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread is intense as hell, and very informative.

Thanks, guys.
11/4/09 12:25 PM
GaryG
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cluster - When you climb the mountain (or any mountain really), I'm guessing there's only one or a few routes you can take? If so, do you pass these bodies as you go up? And if so, are they "landmarks?" 'Cause that would be fucked up.

I think there was a dead climber tangled in the fixed ropes at the Hillary Step for a while. Climbers had to literally climb up and over the body to summit.

I was climbing with a group in S. America on a pretty easy route. We started climbing about midnight, so the first six hours were done climbing in the dark. There was a rumor that there was a dead body further up closer to the summit.
I remember thinking I'd really prefer not to see a dead body in the dark. Luckily it wasn't where it was reputed to be. It had been removed a few days previously.

This was on fairly pedestrian nontechnical climb, but the summit was above 20,000ft, so altitude was an issue
11/4/09 12:29 PM
grafzep
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol newark
11/4/09 12:34 PM
cluster

GaryG - 
I think there was a dead climber tangled in the fixed ropes at the Hillary Step for a while. Climbers had to literally climb up and over the body to summit.

Damn. As rough as it is to climb the thing, then you look over next to you and you're like, "oh, shit."
11/4/09 12:48 PM
canuck34

I love to do some exciting things. I'd done some very "extreem" out of bounds skiing. I've downhill mountainbiked. I've done some very cool rock climbing.

But climbing everest is something that I have never had any interest in doing at all.
11/4/09 1:00 PM
shen
502 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/04/09 1:02 PM
I'm a pretty big Extreme Sports guy myself (I Rollerblade, play Beach Soccer and unicycle) but even I don't have the urge to climb Everest.
11/4/09 1:10 PM
American Icon

Would it be okay if I were to take one of thier skulls on a climb?
11/4/09 1:11 PM
TOM666
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D1M3B4G -  http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/237731/I-left-a-woman-to-die-on-Everest.html

Crazy story.
11/4/09 1:12 PM
Saltyballs
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

True mountaineering is one of the hardest, most physically taxing things you could try.

The pressure on your lungs from the thin oxygen and cold air is crushing. The lack of oxygen and cold locks up your muscles and makes every step a mental battle. Factor in fatigue and technical routes that you have to account for weight distribution, angle and body movement and it can be a complete mind fuck.

Many people have turned away just meters before the summit because they physically cannot navigate any higher.

You have to have mental balls of steel to fight through hypothermia, frostbite, trying to keep your mind from wandering off due to low oxygen, and cold, etc.

Nothing but respect for true mountaineers who love pushing their limits. And they don't want your sympathy because they wouldn't have wanted to go out any other way.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.