UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Dead Bodies on Mount Everest

11/4/09 1:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mark1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't one of the sherpas go out into a blizzard to find a climber (Beck Weathers?) and bring him back to camp?

Anyone know the story?

Mark
11/4/09 1:13 PM
None So Blind
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quoting Joe Rogan:

"Why do guys climb Everest? LITTLE DICKS!!!!"

11/4/09 1:15 PM
Saltyballs
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome thread!
11/4/09 1:41 PM
johnsonbarr
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Many mountaineers die, even the best of the best.  Anatoli Boukreev is a prime example.

11/4/09 1:42 PM
Atecexa

what do any of those deaths accomplish...seriously it is the most self serving thing anyone can do. there is no purprose to doing it other than the selfish satisfaction of saying you did it. there are no miracle cure plants or herbs up there to harvest to save humanity or anything we can learn to make life better...just dumbasses that waste their lives and makes widows and orphans in the process...i almost hope life insurance doesnt pay out if you die like a douchebag on everest
11/4/09 1:50 PM
Stronghold
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What do any of our lives accomplish?
11/4/09 2:12 PM
sacredhate
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YouAreNex - some of our lives accomplish cures and some give back to people who are less fortunate or just need a helping hand. nobody on the OG has done that but

some people would say that climbing everest, landing on the moon, etc. these are the types of things that remind us of what we are capable of and inspire others to do what they feel they cannot. Live your life, let others live (and die) how they choose.
11/4/09 2:13 PM
Wahlau
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funny thing is, if some eccentric billionaire were to build a climate controlled shopping mall that led all the way to the top, escalators all the way up and Starbucks every 100 metres, these climbers will be complaining that its not challenging anymore, that it spoiled their fun and adventure. Wouldn't they?

I mean they could take the stairs if they want, for an extra challenge.
11/4/09 2:14 PM
Fightin_Chance
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/04/09 2:16 PM
Mark1 -  Didn't one of the sherpas go out into a blizzard to find a climber (Beck Weathers?) and bring him back to camp?Anyone know the story?

After chipping blocks of ice off of their faces, the Sherpas found both of them to be breathing, but severely frostbitten and "as close to death as a human being can be".

Beck dragged HIMSELF back to camp after being left for dead....twice...

check this link

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/weathers.html
11/4/09 2:22 PM
DeepFriedJinx
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crazy dudes who attempt this.

I don't see these guys as bad. They are putting themselves through the ultimate test.
11/4/09 2:24 PM
Mark1

Fightin_Chance - Mark1 -  Didn't one of the sherpas go out into a blizzard to find a climber (Beck Weathers?) and bring him back to camp?Anyone know the story?

After chipping blocks of ice off of their faces, the Sherpas found both of them to be breathing, but severely frostbitten and "as close to death as a human being can be".

check this link

I think that is it.  I think that they were gonna leave him, but the sherpa went back out to find him when no one else would.

Mark

11/4/09 3:02 PM
Fightin_Chance
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark1 - 
Fightin_Chance - Mark1 -  Didn't one of the sherpas go out into a blizzard to find a climber (Beck Weathers?) and bring him back to camp?Anyone know the story?

check this link

I think that is it.  I think that they were gonna leave him, but the sherpa went back out to find him when no one else would. Mark

Mark, they left him...and then the sherpas decided he was too far gone and left him too.

He walked back to camp himself

Oh yeah, thats after the sherpas chipped the fucking ice off of his face and saw he was still barely alive
11/4/09 3:07 PM
Roundhead

TTT
11/4/09 4:32 PM
New2MMA
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

True badasses
11/4/09 4:42 PM
jason hornbuckle

i cannot believe how many "intelligent" OGers think the tallest mountain in the world is basically a steep cone and to get something from the top to the bottom all you have to do is "throw it over the side" or "slide it down on a sled"
11/4/09 4:45 PM
Emetic

I am surprised how decomposed the bodies are. I would have thought in a ton of snow it would be like they were in a freezer and preserved the bodies better.
11/4/09 4:47 PM
jason hornbuckle

they're not decomposed because they're rotting, they're eroded from wind and other things like that
11/4/09 5:25 PM
mpthief
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crazy thread.

i guy in the discovery documentary actually died. they decided to leave him in the documentary i believe.
11/4/09 5:41 PM
Emetic

jason hornbuckle - they're not decomposed because they're rotting, they're eroded from wind and other things like that

ah that makes sense. They eroded more than they have decomposed.
11/4/09 5:47 PM
Fightin_Chance

Emetic - 
jason hornbuckle - they're not decomposed because they're rotting, they're eroded from wind and other things like that

ah that makes sense. They eroded more than they have decomposed.

freezer burnt
11/4/09 5:52 PM
JimmersonzGlove
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
11/4/09 5:53 PM
Gonzo45

Atecexa -i almost hope life insurance doesnt pay out if you die like a douchebag on everest

die like a douchebag? really?

and lol at all these people saying "i've seen plenty of documentaries on climbing everest. i'm a subject matter expert"

11/4/09 5:53 PM
angryinch

ends - I just watched darkside of everest, which prompted me to download storm of everest HD which was on PBS Frontline the imagery already is pretty breathtaking.

btw great thread!
where did you DL those from?

11/4/09 6:02 PM
Fightin_Chance

toodlenotcher - Holy hell. I didn't know they did this.

Can it really be that hard to just put em in a sled? I don't think it's any more disrespectful than just leaving them up there to rot.

yeah, actually it is that much harder....its a huge effort to haul your own ass and gear much less a sled with a dead body on it

they did get Beck Weatherford and the Japanese guy down off the mountain once they saw that they were going to live

Sherpas often go back for people...in the book Krakauer describes a Sherpa short roping somebody pretty much the whole way to the summit
11/4/09 6:11 PM
mige
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very interesting thread! The pics are creepy as hell though.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.