UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Dead Bodies on Mount Everest

11/5/09 3:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mako_
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tap21 - 
A good book on ice/general climbing is "kiss or kill" Mark twight.

Sorry if someone has already pointed this out, but Twight is the Jim Jones founder, right?

Yep, that's the dude. Was a world class climber before doing the Gym Jones stuff.
11/5/09 4:32 PM
Stronghold
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bcolflesh - 
Stronghold - Standard procedure when finding a dead body is to loot it for more ammo, energy packs, and health kits. It they have a weapon upgrade, take it.

Winner.

Why is that the winner?

That joke is like 5 or 6 years old now. Was funny at first I agree, but kind of old now.

Shit, DOOM references date back like 16 years!! Give an old man some credit yo
11/5/09 6:59 PM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Question: Anybody spot anything at all with google earth? I couldn't find anything but rock & snow beyond base camp. Only spent a few minutes, to be fair.
11/5/09 7:31 PM
Eddy Payeur
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
11/5/09 8:06 PM
OnCall
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In addition to the books already mentioned I highly recommend "No Shortcuts to the Top: Climbing the Worlds 14 Highest Peaks" by Ed Viesturs. He is the first American to climb the 14 peaks and he did it without supplemental oxygen. He was the climb leader for the Everest IMAX expedition so he was right there when the Into Thin Air disaster occurred. He actually was supposed to go up that day but looked at the weather and decided against it. He helped the frozen and blind Buck Weathers down the mountain.

He's got some crazy fucking stories in the book. Check it out.
11/5/09 9:16 PM
ryanJ
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure why this has always struck me as funny, but once when my wife and I were first dating a show about climbing Everest came on TV and she proclaimed "Oh, I don't ever want to do that..."

I said, "Do what?"  she resonded..."climb Mt. Everest."

She literally doesn't even hike, ski, or do anything remotely similar to mountain climbing and she felt the need to inform me that she has no desire to attempt one of the most dangerous and challenging physical pursuits on the entire planet.

Kind of like if I said...yeah, "I really have no desire to play in the NBA" as a short, 32 year old white guy that can barely dribble, I doubt I am at risk for being drafted on to the Atlanta Hawks next year.
11/5/09 11:10 PM
bcolflesh
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ryanJ -  Not sure why this has always struck me as funny, but once when my wife and I were first dating a show about climbing Everest came on TV and she proclaimed "Oh, I don't ever want to do that..."

She literally doesn't even hike, ski, or do anything remotely similar to mountain climbing and she felt the need to inform me that she has no desire to attempt one of the most dangerous and challenging physical pursuits on the entire planet.

Kind of like if I said...yeah, "I really have no desire to play in the NBA" as a short, 32 year old white guy that can barely dribble, I doubt I am at risk for being drafted on to the Atlanta Hawks next year.

That's great - a similar one from girls at a gym:

"I don't lift heavy - I don't want to get all ripped and muscular, it's too freaky!"
11/15/09 6:55 PM
Kido777
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fightin_Chance - read "Into Thin Air" by Krakauer

great fucking book...the place is scary

Just picked up a copy from the library several days ago. Funny thing is I saw a copy at the local thrift store a few days ago, might go pick it up too.
11/15/09 7:30 PM
PR
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ryanJ -  Not sure why this has always struck me as funny, but once when my wife and I were first dating a show about climbing Everest came on TV and she proclaimed "Oh, I don't ever want to do that..."

lol, next time she asks you to drive you two somewhere, go "Oh, no you drive, I don't want to accidentally become a Nascar or F1 driver."
11/15/09 10:20 PM
Kido777
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Titus Pullo -  Doubt every person that has tried to climb Everest was a millionaire.

It costs quite a bit of money to go up there. Around $65,000 according to the author of "Into Thin Air." And that was several years ago.
11/15/09 10:22 PM
Kido777

HammerHands -  i wonder how many have been murdered on everest under the guise of dying by the elements

Sounds like a good way for The Mob or Illumanati to take someone out.
11/16/09 4:33 PM
Fightin_Chance
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kido777 - 
HammerHands -  i wonder how many have been murdered on everest under the guise of dying by the elements

Sounds like a good way for The Mob or Illumanati to take someone out.

in a video game
11/16/09 8:30 PM
jacktripper

wierd
11/17/09 12:48 AM
Ozzimandias
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sadic1 - My brother in law actually drove his Jeep about 9/10 of the way to the summit of Everest. The way he told it, he had the 8 cylinder and ran out of gas. He might have made it if he had the straight 6, but then he might not have had the torque he needed. It's all he ever talks about when we're sitting around having beers.

WTF???
11/17/09 12:50 AM
pandrews76

ANY NEW PICS?
11/17/09 1:39 AM
DreamerMMA
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rupture Clothing, Reg. Marketing Rep.
 ttt
11/17/09 2:06 AM
Dougie
698 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dumb question but, if people have been to the top, at what point doesn't someone tie a rope to a rock up there or something?
11/17/09 2:35 AM
iclimb513
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dougie - Dumb question but, if people have been to the top, at what point doesn't someone tie a rope to a rock up there or something?

Say that again? I'm having trouble understanding the question.
11/17/09 2:48 AM
Dougie
698 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, some guy ties a rop to the top, puts up a mechanical tow rope like on ski slopes with intervals, voila, problem solved?

...maybe not...
11/17/09 2:51 AM
iclimb513
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You mean to drag people to the top?
11/17/09 3:42 AM
gatotwopointoh

Dougie - Well, some guy ties a rop to the top, puts up a mechanical tow rope like on ski slopes with intervals, voila, problem solved?

...maybe not...

several problems
1) extreme weather will fuck up the rope/pulley at the top. someone will need to de-ice it, shovel snow, etc.
2) internal combustion engines don't do well with low density air. Russian helicopter engines might work, but aviation fuel is kind of $$$$$.
3) you have to get fuel from somewhere, where you going to pump it from? I guess you could use hydropower from a waterfall if one is nearby.
11/17/09 3:58 AM
BarkLikeADog

^There is plenty of gear up there, but you can't count on it due to exposure to the elements, especially beyond the current season. That's why there are sherpas & politics & planning involved regarding what order you go in.

A mechanical lift, though, would devalue the adventure. The government would never allow that & the sherpas would dismantle it.
11/17/09 3:30 PM
jacktripper

dismember them, bring back the pieces one at a time

your welcome
11/17/09 3:36 PM
Lurken

REFERENCE THAT DEAD GUY. ITS OBVIOUS WHY HE DIED. E WAS WEARING BLUE JEANS. COTTON KILLS!
11/18/09 5:33 PM
DreamerMMA
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rupture Clothing, Reg. Marketing Rep.
 Yeah, tie a rope to the top of a 29,000 plus foot mountain so people can just grab the rope and walk to the top right?

Who's got 40,000 some odd feet of rope they want to take to the top of the mountain?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.