UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> tell me about Unbutu...

11/5/09 1:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Aussie Gumby
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just bought a new pc with windows 7 Home Basic (Russian Language) pre-installed. Obviously this is shit and I need English.

There are no MUIs for Win7 Home Basic and so I was contemplating switching to Unbutu.

Does anyone have experience with this? I already use Open Office and Firefox, but I was wondering if there are any/many restrictive elements to using it.

Thanks for your help!
11/5/09 2:00 PM
Aussie Gumby

or ubuntu....
11/5/09 7:03 PM
white belt
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I just loaded a few systems with it, the new version 9.1 is by far the easiest use to date. It has a feature called ubuntu software center that has hundreds of programs in it organized into categories. Simply click and chose install, no more synaptic package manager or command line. Your basic install has most everything already, simply go into the "Other" category in the software center and install the "Ubuntu restricted extras package". That will install flash, java, divx codecs etc. Unless you are using 64 bit in which case it screw up half way through the install on that package and you'll have to open a terminal and type sudo apt-get install -f to restart it to choose yes(press tab)in the terminal to install java, my experience anyway. I am blown away how great a program this is and its still free. For email I load mozilla firefox, K3B for burning discs, all the edubuntu packages(not the entire desktop) and tons of games, nexuiz, scorched 3D etc. I dumped windows a little while because I didn't want to use vista, I like this way better but I haven't tried windows 7 yet.
11/5/09 7:09 PM
white belt
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh of the 4 I've loaded with 9.1 there have been no hardware issues and the ATI drivers are great now. But its always a toss of the dice. Try the live cd and see what you think, or dual boot for bit like I did to figure it out.
11/5/09 10:52 PM
Aussie Gumby

thanks very much for the info. I'll give that a go!
11/6/09 10:25 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used it a bit to see what the hype was about. It think its a fine OS, especially for the price. It works well out of the box other than some resolution problems on pretty old and crappy hardware. If you're using a PC for the typical web browsing, word processing, etc... there is no reason why you shouldn't run it instead of russian windows. :D

The live CD is a great suggestion.
11/6/09 6:15 PM
white belt

There used to be a lot of issues with Ubuntu linux, not worth the average persons time or your time to recommend it to people prior to 9.04. This release (9.1) they seem to have polished it up fully, 32 bit anyway I did find that one snag with 64 that definitely would have stopped my dad (but he's 62). My last complaint was transfer speeds with the 9.04 release, now I am getting up to 80mb/s on esata and 20+mb/s on usb with 9.1. Also they have free online storage now, 2 gigs with ubuntu one they call it, handy for file sharing. As you can tell I need a new hobby.

Main feature, when I turn on my systems at home the second it hits the desktop I can launch and use whichever program I want. At work it gets to the desktop and then I wait for another minute or two while all the programs do their thing.

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/910features
11/7/09 12:14 AM
Aussie Gumby

ok, I'm trying it out on my old laptop to see how it goes... but everything sounds really positive so far!
11/7/09 4:20 PM
crobrun
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm using 7 now, but my previous laptop was ubuntu, and I've gone back and forth from windows to ubuntu. Love the OS. I think for what most people do with computers, it's a better solution (viruses, spyware, etc).

Mind you, I'm not unhappy with 7 yet.
12/2/09 1:45 AM
SiftMyMind

Just stick with Wondows 7.

I can't get with Mac O/S's because, although they are better systems, a lot of software is not compatible with them.

The Linux systems (incl. Ubuntu), I have found to be a waste of time for the same reason.

If you just wanna play with it for experimental reasons, then go ahead. But otherwise, forget it.
12/2/09 10:06 PM
crobrun
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SiftMyMind - Just stick with Wondows 7.

I can't get with Mac O/S's because, although they are better systems, a lot of software is not compatible with them.

The Linux systems (incl. Ubuntu), I have found to be a waste of time for the same reason.

If you just wanna play with it for experimental reasons, then go ahead. But otherwise, forget it.

Well, I'd say it depends on what you want to do. For internet/mail/doc/spreadsheet work, I think it's good enough. But you're right, I wouldn't recommend it to a business person or someone who needed specialized software.
12/18/09 11:00 AM
Mitch Baker
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

using dual monitors can be a pain.
2/18/10 6:54 PM
john76
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/18/10 6:55 PM
thanks for the ubuntu rec's...

hp/compaq helpdesk blows and vista on my laptop was OEM.

I had to replace the hardrive and I don't fell like going back and forth with them to get a vista boot disk that may not even work.

my laptop is just for coffee table use so this is perfect
2/18/10 9:25 PM
john76
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only problem I'm having is printing to my printer that's hooked up to my desktop that's running vista

I can access files on my desktop but I can't print... I'll figure it out
2/20/10 10:09 AM
white belt

This is Ubuntu's weakness, hardware compatibility. You need to know if its supported before you buy it. I saw a great deal on a printer and checked before I bought it, its status was paperweight. Sort of like my Canon 8400F paperweight.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsPrinters

BTW the 3 year support release comes out in April. 10.04 Lucid Lynx
2/28/10 4:45 PM
white belt

Like Nucking says, go to Appilcations, Ubuntu software center and do a search for Ubuntu Restricted extras package, install that and it will put in all of the above with one click.
3/29/10 6:38 AM
Porkchop74
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mnbvcxzchewy - installed it on my gfs 2 year old dell laptop because she keeps getting virus with XP. so far can't play xvid movies, can't install flash/java, can't play some mp3, web cam does not work.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
4/16/10 12:01 PM
Mitch Baker

thinking of bringing up a Mint machine
anyone here use it?
4/21/10 2:09 PM
Optimisto

I use ubuntu, and also Sun Virtualbox to run a virtual Windows platform when needed.
4/30/10 6:32 AM
ferox13
669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aussie Gumby - I just bought a new pc with windows 7 Home Basic (Russian Language) pre-installed.

In Russia, Windows boots you.
4/30/10 11:27 AM
ferox13
669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Optimisto - I use ubuntu, and also Sun Virtualbox to run a virtual Windows platform when needed.

I might try something similar but the otherway around...I'd like to try Linux.
4/30/10 11:58 PM
crobrun

I'm now using vmware player running ubuntu 10.04. Vmware player is fucking cool - unity feature allows you to run applications from your vm on your host computer - like virtual xp in windows 7.

plus, 10.04 is pretty sweet. Ubuntu just gets better and better
5/3/10 2:59 PM
ferox13

Edited: 05/04/10 7:23 AM
I'm trying ubuntu 10.04 on my get it to install from virtual PC - can't he disk or from an ISO..I'm a complete newbie at this so it might something simple.

-------------------

Managed to get ubuntustudio-10.04 up and running.
5/9/10 10:16 PM
drixx2
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

noob

just learn Russian :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.