UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Kia Koupe - Actually Pretty Nice

11/5/09 2:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jodienda
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/05/09 2:22 PM

Can't believe I'm writing this about a Kia - but I saw their new Koup (not a typo) at a local dealer and took one for a test drive. It was the SX model with leather seats and 6 speed 174HP engine.

Drove really nice - much nicer than the Civic LX and EX's I've been test driving. Hit 80 easily on an entrance ramp; drove quiet and shifted smooth.

Leather interior looked good and you'd think this was a Civic SI if you passed it and sneezed.

For that money ($17k Base) and warranty (10 year 100k bumper to bumper), seems like its worth a look.

I've been looking at 8th generation civics, but have been scared off by widespread owner outrage over shoddy manual transmissions and crappy suspension.

I know, it's a fucking KIA, but check it out, I was impressed.

http://www.kia.com/#/2010forte?page=power&vehicle=koup

Any UG'ers pick one of these up yet?
11/15/09 12:41 PM
LgFriess
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love the car but it really seems like a chick to me. Has that "cute" sports car look. Really impressed with the new Kia/Hyundai's though. It's like they're saying, "Well, Toyota, Honda, Ford, etc are doing it like this. Lets do it the same or better and for less."
11/16/09 1:47 PM
jodienda
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The black SX 6 speed drove really really, surprisingly well, quite a bit better than than the non-SI Civics I tried out.

Felt weird and wrong enjoying this car as much as I did, though, like kissing a transsexual and liking it.
11/26/09 8:36 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Because of the extra long warranty, the maintenance costs are ridiculous. At least here in Europe.
11/26/09 9:43 AM
LgFriess
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NorthFromHere - Because of the extra long warranty, the maintenance costs are ridiculous. At least here in Europe.

Interesting! My wife is considering one... I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up NFH.
2/9/10 3:41 AM
Roy Batty
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LgFriess - 
NorthFromHere - Because of the extra long warranty, the maintenance costs are ridiculous. At least here in Europe.

Interesting! My wife is considering one... I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up NFH.

I *THINK* that by law in the US, they can't void your warranty for maintenance done by anyone certified to do it. There was a brochure about it at the place I used to get oil changes at. The law could've changed though.
2/9/10 3:42 AM
Roy Batty
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty much means you can't DIY or go to a "shade-tree" mechanic though, most likely.
2/23/10 1:26 PM
White347LX
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can do everything yourself but you have to document each service and the parts used. Not a big deal.
3/3/10 1:31 PM
Atecexa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the only time a mfgr can deny a warranty for not doing maintenance with them is if they pay for it like BMW does

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.