UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> Incoming Canadian To Work/Train - Location Advice?

11/5/09 4:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ninjadan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello,

I recently got my working holiday Visa and will be heading to Australia in early January.

I am looking for a place with beaches, bars, and Muay Thai / MMA - though I'm sure that doesn't limit my options too much.

I am a bartender/bar manager and have been for many years, and have 4ish years experience Thai/BJJ, with a couple amateur fights.I'm basically just looking to work hard, party hard, and train hard (possibly book a few Thai fights)

Any advice on a good location to start would be greatly appreciated, though I will have the freedom to switch locations if necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Dan (Ronin MMA Canada)

(I also plan on doing 3 months of seasonal work, so I am able to extend my Visa for a second year, if anyone has experience or advice on this) E-mail -jugglindan@hotmail.com
11/6/09 4:05 AM
Comp

Your looking for Lange's MMA in Manly .35 classes per week .
next to a beach full of hot women . Up the road form lots of Pubs . http://www.northsidemartialarts.bigpondhosting.com/
We accept all, barring only Lithuanians and Canadians.
11/6/09 4:10 AM
Comp

Your looking for Lange's MMA in Manly .35 classes per week .
next to a beach full of hot women . Up the road form lots of Pubs . http://www.northsidemartialarts.bigpondhosting.com/
We accept all, barring only Lithuanians and Canadians.
11/6/09 4:11 AM
Comp

I like to repeat my self
11/6/09 7:34 AM
Tooler

Edited: 11/06/09 7:36 AM
Canadian quota is full, you'll have to go elsewhere :-)

If you decide to come to Melbourne, I'll buy you a pint at hockey night in Melbourne.
>
http://hockeynight.info/HockeyNightInMelbourne/Home.html
11/6/09 10:41 AM
geraldbb
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Perth. Best beaches, women and Muay Thai in Australia.
11/9/09 4:45 AM
BenBJJ
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep, go to Perth or Melbourne. Best places by far.
11/9/09 6:19 AM
dojo stormer

^^^ my sentiments exactly

had a canadian guy train with us 1 time, he was a white belt but was going super hard. one of my mates was passng his guard and grabbed his foot and he tapped whilst screaming something about footlocks and how he broke his ankle a few years back.

hasn't been back since

i see him around all the time wearing jiu jitsu gear. dude doesnt even train anywhere anymore. weird guy.
11/10/09 12:22 AM
XFC

Xtreme Fighting Championship
No brainer > Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast.

Hospitality Industy thrives in Australia's tourism capital.

Gold Coast has produced JWP & Carnage. Muay Thai there is very hard to beat in AUS. You have great options for BJJ & MMA too.

Justin
11/10/09 5:35 AM
BenBJJ
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dont come to Sydney. Dudes can stay away. I dont care if you are Rickson or Mino.
11/11/09 6:20 AM
jibjab
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Perth. Best beaches, women and Muay Thai in Australia."

A...hem!!...have to disagree there G-Dog.

As Justin stated above,..the Gold Coast is where you need to come to. Tourism mecca of Australia and the Muay Thai mecca of the state,..if not the country. LOTS of bars and LOTS of gyms to train at. We at PUMMA just had a Canadian good friend and student go back to Canada after living on the Gold Coast for 12 months. He hated going home and palans to be back REAL soon.

- Juggs
11/11/09 2:43 PM
ninjadan

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will be heading to Melbourne first to meet up with friends, and then most likely the outskirts of Melbourne for 3 months of seasonal work. (Allows me to stay 21 months after that)

After reading your responses and researching, I think I will soon after be relocating to Perth or The Gold Coast - will probably check out both.

Flying out Jan 2nd once the hangover is gone - I'm pretty psyched.

Cheers,

Dan
11/11/09 3:57 PM
XFC

Xtreme Fighting Championship
Dan,

Only challenge re Perth is it's a million miles from anywhere. Gold coast is 1hr in a plane and circa $100 to Sydney, Melb add another 90mins south & New Zealand is a few hrs and few hundred $$. Perth is 5hrs from anywhere :(

I believe on the Gold Coast you will have far more choices in training & likewise employment within hospitaility. Perth is a nice place but for my money I'd be trying the Goldie first.

Justin
11/11/09 10:36 PM
Elvis
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL Sydney is the place to be in Australia. Though QLD and WA do have lovely beaches and scenery. Melbourne whether is too whacked out for my liking.  Sydney is the Mecca of it all. And lets not forget that UFC is coming to where in Australia next year... oh that's right to Sydney!

Elvis
www.spma.net.au
11/11/09 10:50 PM
BenBJJ

No Elvis. Sydney is full.
11/12/09 4:39 PM
ninjadan

I agree with Elvis about the weather in Melbourne - though it's better than Ontario (Everywhere is), it's not exactly optimal for a guy who's top 3 reasons for moving inlclude weather.

Gold coast does sound appealing, and the annual forecast seems a bit more respectable, as does the amount of potential hospitality jobs. (Thanks Justin)

I'm still going to try and make the UFC when it comes around, depending on cash. I went to the GSP/Serra rematch in Montreal and it was insane.

Don't worry BenBJJ, I'm not looking to go hogging, so they'll be plenty of big chicks left for ya :)
11/12/09 9:48 PM
SpaceCataz

ninjadan - Hello,

I recently got my working holiday Visa and will be heading to Australia in early January.

I am looking for a place with beaches, bars, and Muay Thai / MMA - though I'm sure that doesn't limit my options too much.

I am a bartender/bar manager and have been for many years, and have 4ish years experience Thai/BJJ, with a couple amateur fights.I'm basically just looking to work hard, party hard, and train hard (possibly book a few Thai fights)

Any advice on a good location to start would be greatly appreciated, though I will have the freedom to switch locations if necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Dan (Ronin MMA Canada)

(I also plan on doing 3 months of seasonal work, so I am able to extend my Visa for a second year, if anyone has experience or advice on this) E-mail -jugglindan@hotmail.com

You definetly gotta post some updates on the og about your journey. Im planning on doing the same exact thing just a little later probably the following January.
11/12/09 9:52 PM
BenBJJ

*phew*
11/13/09 3:56 AM
freestyle_judo

It's all about Tasmania.
11/13/09 5:38 AM
BenBJJ

Yep, go stay on the west cost of Tassie. Lovely there.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.