UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> Interclub etiquette - Belts

11/7/09 3:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
My1stMac
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When visiting an international club or even a local interstate club to train; do you wear the belt awarded to you or default to a white belt out of respect for the visiting club. I suspect this would be an exemption for senior belts (Purple and above) but what about the rest?

Thanks.
11/7/09 4:20 PM
dojo stormer

Why is this even a question?
11/7/09 6:05 PM
My1stMac

I guess the notion is all about respect to start with.

Each clubs' instructor may have a different "set of standards" and therefore in their eyes, your rank may or may not be what he/she would have graded you too.

I guess it is a bit of ol' school mentality? It is a question used to gauge what the forum readers would feel considering some club owners are here!!
11/8/09 6:12 AM
walbjj
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

im gonna bite here, cos this is an epic troll job if i ever seen one.
if u been training for a while, then u can kind of gauge skill levels, i mean, if ur a total retard and get smashed by everyone, then ur a white, plian and simple. ur no good, and probably wont ever get it.
if u tap whites regularly and dont tap to other blue belts, especially ones that r larger than u, or more experienced than u, then ur a blue.
this simple formula works on down the line.
however, this is made more confusing if u train at a mcdojo where u have small classes, and the instructor is a shady cunt that doesnt roll, but gives out belts willy-nilly.
in that case, u obviously have no idea what skill level u should be as ur judgement is clouded and fucked up from not knowing ur ass from ur head, in this case, wear the brown belt that u were awarded in "hybrid submission jiu-jitsu" and go train at a legit bjj school and see how u handle rolling with the higher belts there. if ur legit, then ur legit, if not, then time to leave ur home club
11/8/09 7:33 AM
dave nagel
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you wear the belt your coach/instructor/professor has awarded you - always. simple really.
11/8/09 6:51 PM
BenBJJ
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep your white belt on.
11/8/09 10:20 PM
evilsorta

i leave the belt and my pants at home.....out of respectk.
11/9/09 12:41 AM
The Dragon Master

If you earnt it and believe you deserve it, you should wear it. If you dont think you should wear it, probably a good sign you dont deserve it.
11/9/09 3:26 AM
Wahlau
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wear the belt your instructor gave you. If you don't, its a sign you don't really respect your instructor's opinion of your rank

Wear a white belt only if you are checking out another martial art
11/10/09 12:23 AM
XFC

Xtreme Fighting Championship
Wear the white and break some arms :)

J
11/10/09 6:24 PM
byron2001

Just ask whoever's taking the class before u train.
11/10/09 7:44 PM
DK Chaos
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wear the belt you were given unless you think you don't deserve it
11/11/09 10:38 PM
Elvis
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah when you're travelling most clubs are happy to let you wear your belt. When you're doing the same style you should wear it. The only time you need to put on a white belt is if you are training in a different style.

Elvis
11/12/09 4:40 PM
Stooba
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I changed clubs I had a blue belt.

To be polite, I asked the instructor what rank I should enter. I thought he'd tell me to keep the blue.

Because it wasn't given to me by a black belt, he asked if I minded wearing a white.

Two weeks later I got my blue, and won a comp.

Got my blue in 2 weeks...
I must be some sort of prodigy...
11/12/09 6:07 PM
XFC

Xtreme Fighting Championship
C'mon Elvis, tell me you haven't let the occasional TMA goofball wear his 14 stripe black belt on the mat :)

J
11/12/09 9:17 PM
blakGSR
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wear whatever belt you want.
If you're not legit, you will get exposed.
11/13/09 4:16 AM
The Dragon Master

Touche. Couldnt be more spot-on.
11/21/09 12:38 AM
Lymie
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have had to change clubs in the past - I moved, I called up the new club ahead of time and asked if they minded if I wore the belt my previous coach gave me. They didnt have a problem at all.
11/21/09 5:22 AM
walbjj
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^it depends where u came from. if u were a blue belt under a known instructor then i doubt it would be an issue anywhere.
if u were a brown under some hybrid/ self made jiu jitsu system that likes to be associated with bjj, then i can see why someone would ask more in depth questions.

btw, what belt did u carry over
11/21/09 5:38 AM
Lymie
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/21/09 5:38 AM
Blue - From Carlos Santos who got his black from Ze Mario and BTT. I also explained that I hadnt trained for a while and was a pretty crapy blue at that. They still said youe musthave earned the belt so feel free to continue to use it.
11/21/09 9:16 AM
BenBJJ
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i would think that an Eddie Bravo belt is worth two steps down. So... a EB brown would be equal to a normal blue belt.
11/24/09 6:35 PM
Stooba
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was a blue from Rob Williams, but apparently a belt must be awarded by a black belt?
11/24/09 6:46 PM
BenBJJ

Approved by a BB, I believe.
12/3/09 4:54 PM
Stooba

Blessed too yea?
That's what they told me when I handed over the $500 for it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.