UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fedor Breaks Nose, Injures Hand

11/8/09 9:19 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Fedor Emelianenko suffered a broken nose and injured his left hand during his heavyweight bout with Brett Rogers Saturday at Strikeforce/M-1 Global “Fedor vs. Rogers,” Sherdog.com has learned from a source close to the fighter’s camp.

read full article...

11/8/09 9:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Subutai
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The way he throws those hands..
11/8/09 9:30 AM
clattymine
459 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

glass hands!!
11/8/09 9:35 AM
fryabusa
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IrishRottie has just shown that Fedor only needs the right.
11/8/09 10:10 AM
torquemada
279 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The way he throws punches, I'm amazed he doesn't break one every time he fights...
11/8/09 10:12 AM
ajsr
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/08/09 10:13 AM
torquemada - The way he throws punches, I'm amazed he doesn't break one every time he fights...

He's always breaking his hands
11/8/09 10:12 AM
Crazy Zimmerman
284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the left hand injury came very early in the fight. He was shaking it after the first exchange iirc.
11/8/09 10:48 AM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Broken hand = about 8 weeks out
11/8/09 10:55 AM
Frantic

clattymine - glass hands!!

Nope, he just throws so hard the bones that would suit a normal humans hands cannot withstand the power.

I say we build the man a new set of hands!
11/8/09 11:00 AM
hardknuckler

Skarhead is correct. The bones in the hand are small and heal quickly.
11/8/09 11:01 AM
Bill Pharoni
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure he was planning on taking the time off anyway.
11/8/09 11:02 AM
Crazy Zimmerman
284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

New parts are on order.  They overnighted them from a factory in Minsk.
11/8/09 12:35 PM
Timothyk
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nobones - Fedor is always breaking his hands because he doesn't throw his punches properly he like invented his own punching technique. He throws them like he's throwing a sling shot or something and he lets like whatever part of his fist connect with his opponent's head he don't give a shit. Gets him the KO but he usually fucks up his hands around the thumb area. Bas explained what he does wrong on an episode of HD Net news show he hosts. Oh well, it gets him the wins I suppose but certainly not something you can teach to anyone else.

He throws them like a sambo fighter. There was a link in the video in the tutorial section of this website to an instructional video on how to throw punches that way.
11/8/09 12:36 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
882 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this thread delivers
11/8/09 1:13 PM
supersaiyan

i am sure fedors opponents want him to IMPROVE his punching skills at this point.
11/8/09 1:22 PM
Pooch
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

im not surprised.... lots of power + small gloves

11/8/09 1:23 PM
kaitlinrosie
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

blue63 - 
torquemada - The way he throws punches, I'm amazed he doesn't break one every time he fights...

It's the exact same way most Sambo guys punch...
It kind of reminds me of throwing a shot put.

11/8/09 1:39 PM
kaitlinrosie
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I meant the way his foot comes off of the ground as well as the angle of the punch.
11/8/09 1:44 PM
Shanks V3.1
427 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nobones - Fedor is always breaking his hands because he doesn't throw his punches properly he like invented his own punching technique. He throws them like he's throwing a sling shot or something and he lets like whatever part of his fist connect with his opponent's head he don't give a shit. Gets him the KO but he usually fucks up his hands around the thumb area. Bas explained what he does wrong on an episode of HD Net news show he hosts. Oh well, it gets him the wins I suppose but certainly not something you can teach to anyone else.

he actually throws his punches quite proper for what he's doing...he didnt invent it, its called casting, or long hooks, depending on your preference. there have been numerous threads and videos on this very site over the years detailing it.

its very common in eastern european fighters, and is taught in combat sambo and systema.
11/8/09 1:57 PM
jellyman
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a russian thing
11/8/09 2:02 PM
NailedtotheSky
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He needs to be upgraded with better parts, perhaps a more flexible alloy this time?
11/8/09 2:08 PM
OneScoup

If he keeps breaking his hand, he may end up retiring. It's like every fight now.
11/8/09 2:27 PM
orcus

Fedor and Igor punch the same way and both have been plagued with hand injuries throughout their careers. Hand injuries are the reason Igor retired.
11/8/09 2:29 PM
Shanks V3.1
427 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a post from striker18 back in '04:

Date: 04/29/04 08:40 PM

What he is doing are called long hooks. Generally most American style boxers throw hooks and uppercuts in a short and tight style. However, people from countries that were once Communist and other parts of the world are taught to throw hooks and uppercuts this way. The same applies to uppercuts, though I haven't seen Fedor throw any uppercuts yet, I bet he throws them long style as well.
The only reason I know this is because both forum member punchdrunk27 and myself trained with someone off and on for a couple years who won his weight class in both Romania and Hungary and had over 300 fights in the process. Both David Tua's promoter and the same German boxing club that the LHW Darius fights out of begged him to fight pro for them, but I think after as many fights as he had, he was just tired of fighting.

Anyway, if you haven't ever trained with someone who can throw long hooks and uppercuts, you are in for a big shock the first time you fight or spar a guy who can.

Long hooks/uppercuts come in from an angle people aren't used to seeing, can be thrown from mid and long range (not just short range like the traditional hook), and in my experience generate more power than short hooks. That is pretty much what happened in the Goodridge/Fedor fight, where Fedor repeatedly landed long left and right hooks. It freaked Goodridge out since I doubt he has ever sparred or fought someone who can throw long european style hooks like that. I know I was shocked as hell the first time I was hit with long hooks and uppercuts because they were hard as hell, but I couldn't see where they coming from.

Anyway, long hooks are thrown pretty much the same way a jab or straight right would be, but instead of turning your wrist over and throwing it straight, you twist your forearm/wrist and bring out your elbow a little bit, but just as with a short hook, most of the movement is done with your hips and not your arm.
11/8/09 3:09 PM
threestars35

Fedor throws a sambo punch so it's correct and proper if you ask the Russians

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.