UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Omaha 6 max pot limit vs no limit

11/8/09 6:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AZ-Grappler
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These questions are open to anyone who has experience in these games. Wrecker, I know you are a big fan of 6max pot limit.

Why 6 max vs 9 players? Are players overly aggressive and you can pick them off? How much wider is the range of hands you will play and showdown with in a 6max game? Nine handed without the nuts I lay down most of the time. Am I giving up too much by doing the same 6max?

Do you play pot limit vs no limit because no limit is a "push and pray" preflop game that takes away from your skill edge?

PR, if you happen to read this, what are your thoughts on Omaha vs Hold Em?

Thanks for any input guys. If anyone else has any questions or thoughts I would love to hear them also.
11/8/09 6:44 PM
PR
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Omaha has way worse players. Its a harder game, and overall experience levels of players is much much lower. Almost all NL players know the basics nowadays.

So there's an opportunity to build a large skill gap in between yourself and your opponents.

PLO is like UFC 1. Even though you may not be well-rounded, if you are Royce you can still clean up. NL is like UFC 104. There are no Sumo or Tae Kwon Do guys left. Everyone is decently well-rounded.

Omaha is so much more math than NL. So get used to doing math. Also there's much more variance, your edges are smaller and you get all-in constantly.

You better be able to handle losing your stack all the time, and shoving when you have a 55/45 edge over and over.
11/8/09 9:34 PM
JHR
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love Omaha but I'm still not ready to play it serious yet.

Definitely something I'm working on though.
11/9/09 3:21 AM
DaveFu
1049 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im slowly turning off the leaky faucet in my game that is known as PLO.
11/9/09 5:18 PM
wreckker
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PR - Omaha has way worse players. Its a harder game, and overall experience levels of players is much much lower. Almost all NL players know the basics nowadays.

So there's an opportunity to build a large skill gap in between yourself and your opponents.

PLO is like UFC 1. Even though you may not be well-rounded, if you are Royce you can still clean up. NL is like UFC 104. There are no Sumo or Tae Kwon Do guys left. Everyone is decently well-rounded.

Omaha is so much more math than NL. So get used to doing math. Also there's much more variance, your edges are smaller and you get all-in constantly.

You better be able to handle losing your stack all the time, and shoving when you have a 55/45 edge over and over.
This was true before but id say skill level has gone up alot in omaha now too,  especially on the big sites.

Now the smaller sites and samller games .50-1 and 1-2  can be really  good. with horrible players.

when u move up to 2-4 play is much tougher and the live ones are usuallyu reckless psychos that can be dangerous but profitable to play with.

Position is even more important in plo than NL H,   you dont have to play a game for ur stack all the time.

There is a TON of bluffing using ur position   scary boards and reading bets as weak stabs that u come over the top of.   There are so mnay plays to be made in this game with good reads and good knoweledge u can win alot of pots. 

Even playing a small ball approach PLO is a HIGH variance game.

PLO8 on the other hand is the LEAST variance game of all pl or nl games.

Jeff hwang has two EXCELLENT books on plo

first book 200 pages second book advanced plo is 500 pages and both are excellent and MUST reads if u want tio take on plo.

11/9/09 7:18 PM
DaveFu
1049 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I read Jeff Hwang's first PLO book and it helped me tremendously and got me thinking about PLO in a profitable way. I find that poker is about being aware of information and prioritizing it in away that allows you to make +EV decisions. I believe that the best players are the ones who can deduce the most accurate information from all the data they receive.

As an example, when most people see a block of granite 6'x 2'x 2' they simply see a block of granite, while some ghey savant like Michelangelo sees a naked dude named David who becomes a Masterpiece. We as aspiring poker players have to learn to think more like those that are better than us.
11/9/09 11:17 PM
billid
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a hard enough time watching omaha let alone trying to play it.   I'll admit that the game just scares me because I've only ever played limit and nl holdem

Also, buddy of mine who has been able to make a living off holdem (and the only reason I ever started) was all excited when he started playing omaha making 70k in one week... a week later he had lost 100k lol
11/10/09 3:25 AM
PR
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I defer to wreckker on this. He certainly has the experience I dont have at PLO. I only play PLO on a small site, and only occasionally.
11/14/09 2:29 PM
wreckker
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dave fu the first book is good enough to make u a winner overall ...the SECOND book is just awesome.

Also his second book will help your overall poker game NLH etc
11/14/09 2:52 PM
DaveFu

Yeah I heard it has a lot of concepts that Ive read elsewhere, such as Stack to Pot Ratio etc. Im definitely going to pick up next. Right now I'm grinding my way up micro PLO, I find it more interesting than NLH online. Although, I'm much better at Hold'em.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.