UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Nogi Worlds streaming thoughts and comments

11/9/09 2:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Budovideos
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Budovideos.com, Customer Service

Hey guys,

I hope you all enjoyed the show yesterday. We did our best to put on the best show possible and we think it went really well. We only had about 2.5 weeks to pull it all together but everyone here was really happy with the final product and the great response we received.
We are definitely planning on doing this more in the future so if you don't mind I'd love to hear your comments and critiques on the show yesterday. What did you like? What did you not like? Anything else you'd like to see covered in the next event? Anything you guys can offer will be appreciated.

Oh and special thanks to Nogi industries for sponsoring the event! Couldn't have done it without them.

And for your appreciation in this thread, I give you the nogi ring girls :)

11/9/09 2:27 PM
AlliancePA
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was awesome to get to watch it live since I wasn't able to make the trip. Everyone I talked to loved it. I look forward to the next one. I will still buy the DVD also though because I like to have all of the content that doesn't fit into the stream. Thanks for the effort to make it happen.
11/9/09 2:33 PM
alexgb72
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the free feed, it was great to finally be able to follow these huge IBJJF events online, when we can't make them.

Positives: Different camera angles and interviews. I think Sean Patrick Flanery did a great job commentating the fights and giving the interviews.

Negatives: Feed shutting down a few times and commentators leaving the mics on when they left the table allowing the viewers to overhear private conversations.

Recommendations: Hopefully being able to get SPF back to do the announcing and interviews again. With his acting and teaching schedule, it's not easy though I'm sure. Also maybe having some kind of interface that the viewers can interact with the announcers during fight commentating and interviews, maybe a chat that allows viewers to ask them questions or make comments about the fights.

Great job though. Kept me glued in front of my computer for hours yesterday.
11/9/09 2:40 PM
Judo Scott
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I enjoyed it all everything was great.

The only negative I can think of was panning through several matches at a time then panning back. This happened a lot when there were no "notable" matches going on. I'd prefer to watch a purple belt match from start to finish than catching glimpses of several of them.

THANKS SO MUCH!!
11/9/09 2:42 PM
mchapman
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great job, I agreed to turn the mics of when having private conversations. I was really impressed with the ability to do slo mo replays of throws or techniques, and the fighters names on screen was a great addition. camera work was great, commentary was very good as well. maybe having the division winners do post fight commentary with the slo-mo replays would be a nice touch, if you can fit it into the production.
11/9/09 2:45 PM
BenWS

I really enjoyed the stream:

improvements i would like to see.

1)Have an official chat room on the side of the stream.
2)Would be nice if you could have points on the screen.(not sure if this is too difficult to achieve live)
3)Show the brackets on screen occasionally.So you can see how they are shaping up.
4)Also in interviews it would be cool if you could show them some footage from their matches and get them to talk about it.
11/9/09 2:55 PM
PittBJJ
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was awsome to be able to watch the event live.  I agree with BenWS it would be nice to get more udpdates as to who is advancing through the early rounds, but overall i was just happy to be able to watch.
11/9/09 2:58 PM
Budovideos

Thanks for the input guys!

The IBJFF had 12 mats running simultaneously so trying to show everything is nearly impossible. We started streaming at 9 from 2 mats. Fortunately, the IBJJF was really cooperative and put all the black belt matches on 4 mats so we could cover as much of that as possible. Because we could only have one screen, we could only show one match at a time. Once we got everything set up, I told the camera crew to just stay on one fight in it's entirety. Having the finals run back to back on a fixed schedule on the same mat helped the production a lot. This is still in it's infancy and we fan into some snags but we got it to work.
Just so you guys are aware, here's an example of the difficulties of what we ran into. We didn' know who was in the finals until 15-20 minutes before they started. A member of the IBJJF handed them to me on a hand written piece of paper. When I asked if I could have them he said "No, that's my copy" They didn't have copy machine so I had to have one of my assistants hand write it.. I then gave a copy to Shawn Williams to hand copy himself.

We were able to get the names on the screen live and in the future we plan on including the time and score. It's just going to take a bit more time to develop the software to do so so it's in sync with the IBJJF scoring.

A chat room is definitely in store for the next one as well as live results.

We did have a messaging tool underneath the screen but we had connectivity issues so we abandoned it to focus on the stream.

The area we were in was underneath the bleachers with a lot of traffic and guys warming up so you guys probably heard that on mics. They should have turned them off when they were done though.
11/9/09 3:02 PM
PittBJJ
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How often are you guys going to be dong this?  Are you going to run a feed for all the IBJJF events ?
11/9/09 3:03 PM
Budovideos

I spoke with Sean Patrick Flanery and they are definitely interested in doing more. Both of those guys love Jiu Jitsu and are always willing to help out. As long as Flanery is free, he'll be available to offer play by play.
11/9/09 3:10 PM
Budovideos

PittBJJ -  How often are you guys going to be dong this?  Are you going to run a feed for all the IBJJF events ?

If there's enough interest, We'll stream the Pan Ams in the spring and the World's in June. Because of the extremely high cost in doing this, we can only commit to the bigger events for now.
11/9/09 3:16 PM
marcovia

excellent job!  Im very happy you guys did this.  Sean and Shawn did great. (especially SPF's interviews)  He asked all the questions everyone wants to hear of the athletes including the difficult personal ones.  Great job!  There were some production gremlins but it was a great job. please do more!
11/9/09 3:19 PM
vegard
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it is awesome. I know everyone loved it being free but I have no problem paying to watch the Pan Ams and Worlds. I paid for the ADCC stream and was happy to do it.
11/9/09 3:42 PM
Tango_MF
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great job BudoVideos and Nogi. Thank you.
11/9/09 4:04 PM
alexgb72

Thanks Budo that was awesome!!!!! It only helps our sport grow and I hope SPF can be back, he was great
11/9/09 4:57 PM
mchapman

Just out of curiosity, how many people were on the production crew? I would like to add that I stopped watching after the adult black belts and didn't follow up with the absolute matches later on - some "intermission" footage to keep the viewer tuned in would be nice - like an interview with the ring girls, etc. - Also, the fightworks podcast guys could add some commentary and break up the broadcast so the S(ean)hawns could get a break during the long day.
11/9/09 5:01 PM
slideyfoot
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really enjoyed the event, so thanks for putting it up for free: it's very much appreciated!

I don't really have any major criticisms, as the main negatives were technical problems which can presumably be ironed out in future events (like the feed cutting out, the 'upcoming competitor' sidebar remaining static etc).

I especially liked the manner in which coverage was fairly balanced between genders: I hadn't expected to see so many women's matches, which was great. I also thought the interviews at the end were brilliant, and very professionally handled by Flanery and Williams.

I wasn't keen on the camera focusing on those two ring girls, especially when it flicked back to them in the middle of a match, but that's more of a personal dislike (especially as their inclusion seems to have been popular with most people).

I also would have liked to have seen the whole of the Gabrielle Garcia final, which was partially obscured by a replay from the previous match, but that's understandable for a live event. Replaying exciting moments is necessarily going to have to displace something else if they can't be edited in.

It would also have been nice if the commentary had continued at the end, rather than matches running with no sound, but again understandable, as I wouldn't expect the commentary team to be there for hours on end.

I've got a few more thoughts in the article I put up on my blog:

http://www.slideyfoot.com/2009/11/nogi-worlds-live.html

Looking forward to the next event! :)
11/9/09 6:06 PM
Budovideos

mchapman - Just out of curiosity, how many people were on the production crew? I would like to add that I stopped watching after the adult black belts and didn't follow up with the absolute matches later on - some "intermission" footage to keep the viewer tuned in would be nice - like an interview with the ring girls, etc. - Also, the fightworks podcast guys could add some commentary and break up the broadcast so the S(ean)hawns could get a break during the long day.

We had about an 12 person crew if you include the 6 camera operators. Part of the reason for the blackout was the fact that our internet connection was via wireless and on the other side of the arena. That's where they delivered the line too but not where we intended to set up the production. We asked for something closer so we could use a hardwire but we were denied. So part of the blackout was caused by the router losing connection. Far from ideal but that was our only option.

There was a server issue that had to be resolved in the morning that caused the sidebar and the the chat thing to go down. It was too late to fix it so we focused on putting a good finals show. We had about 2.5 weeks to get this all set up so we are satisfied with the results.

FYI, the finals show will replay hopefully by the end of tomorrow at www.nogi.com. It should be active for about a week for those that haven't seen it or are interested in re watching it.
11/9/09 6:42 PM
kcher
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More split screen to see more than one match! Great job.
11/9/09 10:43 PM
icon115
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for putting up a free vid budovideos.

Am I able to still watch the event after Nov 8?
11/10/09 4:38 AM
The James
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most of the complaints/requests have been stated already: More commentary, more split screens, score, brackets, down time, etc.

I feel weird complaining about ANYTHING though, because no matter what it was fantastic to get to watch this event live for FREE. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Keep doing it!
11/10/09 1:15 PM
alexgb72

- Also, the fightworks podcast guys could add some commentary and break up the broadcast so the S(ean)hawns could get a break during the long day.

please no...those guys are terrible lol
11/10/09 1:30 PM
sfx
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there going to be a replay?
11/10/09 2:10 PM
Budovideos

sfx - Is there going to be a replay?

Looks like the replay will go up on Thursday! Keep checking Nogi.com for updates and we should get a countdown running pretty soon.
11/10/09 2:21 PM
Budovideos

Thanks everyone for the input!

We're glad that the overall response has been really positive and we will take all the recommendations into consideration. Unfortunately there are a lot of limitations to doing this but we're doing the best we can and with the support of the IBJJF, NOGI Industries and the BJJ community we can continue to offer this service from here on out. Just so you guys know, we do not intend to charge for this event or future events. We hope with the support of sponsors, we can continue to provide this for free. So if you liked the show, please support our sponsors and the IBJJF. Send them an email and let them know your thoughts!

Thank you,

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.