UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Buffer: The UFC doesn't need Fedor, he needs them

11/10/09 6:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ManhoefKOAnderson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

r0llinz -  Wow Dana and Lorenzo and forcing their employees on a full tirade against the best HW fighter in the world. Very very sad Zuffa would stoop this low, but hey its really nothing new. Buffer is now on my "can get fucked" list and should be spat on.
11/10/09 6:59 AM
threestars35

Bruce Buffer - Hello All:

Before you all go wild with posts by just reading the quote written in the thread name... listen and you will hear me say that "Fedor is a great fighter..." which I truly believe... what I was touching on at that moment is that the UFC and Dana would put millions behind him to make him one of the most famous men is sports within one year as they have the international brand exposure, dollars and marketing genius to do so aside from the fame they would create far beyond CBS efforts for his fame to the non-nucleus of hard core MMA fans here in the USA.

My answer with this quote was from a marketing standpoint mostly plus I would enjoy him being on the Octagon. But if it doesn't happen, it will not affect the rocket international growth and plans of the UFC. Therefore yes, "Fedor needs the UFC more than the UFC needs Fedor...".

Cheers to all!

BB

www.BufferZone.net

I don't think Fedor needs the fame and this marketing stuff in his life, he just loves to compete to whoever because he's a true sportman
11/10/09 7:05 AM
threestars35

ChokeEmOut -  Buffer's statement is as valid as Dana and Lorenzo stating how Fedor had to come tot he UFC and fight Randy to ever be considered #1. LOL!

Now its Lesnar, next it will be Carwin, then it will be Nog...can noone see the obsurdity here?

if Nog wins the UFC HW title it would be bad for business for the UFC cause Fedor kick his ass 3 times during his haydays
11/10/09 7:10 AM
explodingboy

Everyone should listen to Buffer's weekly podcast on Sherdog, it's good fun. Last week's interview with Roddy Piper was pretty interesting listening.
11/10/09 7:20 AM
georgejonesjr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bruce Buffer - Hello All:

Before you all go wild with posts by just reading the quote written in the thread name... listen and you will hear me say that "Fedor is a great fighter..." which I truly believe... what I was touching on at that moment is that the UFC and Dana would put millions behind him to make him one of the most famous men is sports within one year as they have the international brand exposure, dollars and marketing genius to do so aside from the fame they would create far beyond CBS efforts for his fame to the non-nucleus of hard core MMA fans here in the USA.

My answer with this quote was from a marketing standpoint mostly plus I would enjoy him being on the Octagon. But if it doesn't happen, it will not affect the rocket international growth and plans of the UFC. Therefore yes, "Fedor needs the UFC more than the UFC needs Fedor...".

Cheers to all!

BB

www.BufferZone.net

Thanks for the post, its a definite position. But its uses a definition for 'need' which doesn't seem to hit the mark. The UFC definitely doesn't need Fedor, they're the number one MMA organization with or without him.

But Fedor is rich by any standards, and since he lives a simple life, is extremely rich by his standards. Neither he nor his family will ever have to work again in their lives. He is highly respected by his peers in MMA, seems to be highly respected in sambo which is what he claims he truly loves (as opposed to MMA which is just his day job). He could easily walk away from MMA right now and devote his life to whatever he wants - his religion, sambo, or just collecting bottle caps. Most people would love to 'need' in that sense.

Basically it seems hard to understand how either the UFC or Fedor needs the other by any normal standards. Both are quite a bit past need, and now it comes down to 'wants' (and yes I'm shamelessly thinking of the Stone's song).
11/10/09 7:29 AM
Fastwalker

Edited: 11/10/09 7:34 AM
Fedor needs the UFC to pay for his villa and collection of luxourius cars, as well as to feed his insatiable desire to proof he is the best and to be recognized as such by the american/european public.

Oh wait..

PS: Crooklyn you are an idiot. Posting one sentence of an entire converstation in a thread title, where it's sure to be taken out of context. Way to push your beliefs down our throats while letting Bruce get the heat for it.
11/10/09 7:31 AM
crunk404
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Bruce is right.

The UFC does not need Fedor.
Conversely, Fedor does not need the UFC.

hi Crooklyn!!

PS- Bruce, I'm a little disappointed that, with as much juice as you have with Zuffa, your 180s rarely make it to camera. Please fix that.
11/10/09 8:22 AM
Grakman

Edited: 11/10/09 8:21 AM
ChokeEmOut -  It is really sad when people talk about how Fedor should come to the UFC because they would put millions of dollars behind him and make him rich, a star etc.

Do people fail to realise that there are still some people left in the world that have self respect? Not everyone will sell themselves out for a dollar, of course most will but Fedor isn't one of them. People act as if he is broke and needs the UFC for money. lol

Fedor is super rich as it is, doesn't live the dipshit American lifestyle of owning every goddamn thing they don't need. He isn't a Chuck or a Rampage...he doesn't go around flaunting how much money he has..I don't think I have ever heard him mention money in his whole career.

So the "Fedor would make money" statements are complete American horseshit.

Oh, and its cool to have Buffer here and I know you really know that Fedor is not about making millions, Fedor has always said it is an hobby, he loves the competition, he has never chased the money. He has gone where he felt he was treated properly...so far that is not the UFC.
Beat me to it.  Fedor doesn't appear to share the same values as those in the UFC and the USA who seek after nothing but fame and fortune. I know we can't read his mind, but he seems perfectly content with the life he has now. And that my friends, is something that comes without a price tag.  
11/10/09 8:30 AM
Crazy Zimmerman
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bruce is half right.  The UFC doesn't need Fedor.  But Fedor doesn't need the UFC either.
11/10/09 8:34 AM
sacredhate
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UFC needs Fedor more. Fedor is content and happy. Dana and Zuffa seem incapable of being respectful to a legend of the sport, simply because they have no power over him.

the fact that he is recognized as the true world HW champ seems to irk Dana to no end as he goes out of his way to try and discredit Fedor. Fedor is neither intimidated by Dana, nor obsessed with him to the point of trashing him at every turn. Until Fedor is beaten by an ex-ufc champ or retires Dana has to pay attention to him, the reverse is not true.
11/10/09 8:49 AM
dMo
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Fedors ultimate goal was to be "one of the most famous men is sports" Buffer would be spot on. Luckily theres still enough organizations and fights out there where they really don't need each other.

Good interview and TTT for Buffer!
11/10/09 9:33 AM
ajsr
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's been fairly clearly outlined by others that Bruce's argument is based upon a fundamentally flawed view of Fedor's wants and desires.

That said, It's nice to see him on here defending his statement.
11/10/09 9:45 AM
Jetster
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

humphrey sphinctermuscle - Fedor could fight 4 more times and lose them all and would still be the probably best mma fighter in history

Lol....Now that's Funny...LMAO
11/10/09 9:49 AM
MITman2k
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a fan of MMA in general I just want to see these two fight. If it's due to Fedor signing to a multi fight contract, I'd rather that, then them not fighting at all. If the UFC decides to copromote for some reason, I'd rather that than them not fight at all.
11/10/09 9:56 AM
stevekt
562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor and the UFC will continue to be successful without working together. I am not a huge Buffer fan but there's no need to sling arrows at the man for respectfully stating his opinion.
11/10/09 9:58 AM
disbeliever
324 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look how many ex ufc champs fedor has crushed. Look at the rest of the people he has fought.

The Messiah - it's funny how Fedor fans can only resort to saying only Zuffa shills say Fedor isn't testing himself.

Ask any casual fan the majority will say they'd like to see him fight Brock instead of some random guy. They don't care enough to be shills, they want to see "the best" fight the best.
11/10/09 10:08 AM
Morgz
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

put the show on my iphone this morning and will listen to it on the treadmill this evening.  Good stuff this tapoutlive show.
11/10/09 10:12 AM
BigWilliam
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The simple truth is he doesn't need the UFC and they don't really need him either. That is why the contract never gets signed.
11/10/09 10:17 AM
signaljammer

BigWilliam - The simple truth is he doesn't need the UFC and they don't really need him either. That is why the contract never gets signed.

boom.
11/10/09 10:18 AM
skibby

I feel sorry for Brock more than anything. He's in MMA to test himself against the best, and he knows he can't do that unless he leaves the UFC, which he probably can't until he loses at least once, which would then make people question whether he deserves the shot.

Fighting should be about the fighters, not a fucking brand. Nobody cares if Brock fights Fedor in the UFC, Strikeforce, or in the dairy queen parking lot, as long as they fight.

I don't give a shit about the UFC. I don't care if they fold. If them folding means all the top fighters face each other, I hope it happens today.
11/10/09 10:29 AM
livewirecs
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/10/09 10:29 AM
Look, you're kidding yourself if you think Fedor is going to be a household name without the UFC. Hell, with MMA where it's at,it's already going to be tough to make anyone a "household name" in MMA...but without the UFC..FORGET IT.

I don't think Fedor needs the UFC, but if he wants to test himself with some of the best heavyweights in the world he has to go there. He has a few interesting matchups in SF, but the UFC is building a nice heavy division as well.

If Fedor was a football player, it would be like him settling for the CFL instead of the NFL.
11/10/09 10:30 AM
GB Dave Jr
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buffer sucks. Jimmy Lennon Jr. all the way!
11/10/09 10:32 AM
BigWilliam
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor fought in the best league against the best heavies in Pride. And while the UFC can make him a household name in the US, Fedor doesn't really seem to care much about that. He already is a household name where he comes from, has plenty of money and runs his own promotion company.

He might be interested in fighting in the UFC but he certainly doesn't need it.
11/10/09 10:42 AM
grafzep
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Middling ratings with the so called Michael Jordan of mma. Thats what Buffer is talking about and he's right.
11/10/09 11:22 AM
Boldar

Mad Xyientist -   Brock Pulls 38 million viewers?!

If you counted each person who actually watched the PPV fights, not the number of buys, I could see it.  Obviously just a general statement indicating that Brock would pull significantly more buys on PPV compared to Fedor, not a literal, specific number.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.