UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Getting rolled up by Ken Shammy

11/17/09 3:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jerry Bohlander
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, I work for a Sheriffs Department now, so I don't want to hear any of those stories. I still train guys for smaller local fights. I'm getting back into shape for the first time in about 5 years. It's going pretty good, but not as easy as it used to be now that I'm 35 years old.
11/17/09 3:57 PM
Mr.Unbreakable
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jerry Bohlander - Well, I work for a Sheriffs Department now, so I don't want to hear any of those stories. I still train guys for smaller local fights. I'm getting back into shape for the first time in about 5 years. It's going pretty good, but not as easy as it used to be now that I'm 35 years old.

LOL, They are not that bad. But will still keep to myself. Right on man. I am 35 now too. Today's 35 is well still 35. God Bless you man! B Warren
11/17/09 4:03 PM
Jetster
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

ken was a bad Dude back then...and i'm sure he still is..
11/17/09 4:10 PM
dentalninja
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
11/17/09 4:50 PM
ranier wolfcastle
955 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

club rubber eh?
wheres shiloh with the stories?
11/17/09 9:56 PM
Jerry Bohlander
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As much as I like to, probably not. Buy you never know.
11/17/09 11:52 PM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

voorhees - Never understood why the lions den felt it necessary to beat their fighters to death.

Making someone squat like 5000 times?

WTF,is the point of that?

Maybe deep down its because they all knew they couldnt fight.(except Metzger)

This is an unbelievably stupid post. ALL those guys were great fighters for early MMA/NHB and the 1st dominant American team.
11/17/09 11:58 PM
Jerry Bohlander

The tryouts and training sessions were tough, but by no means impossible. We would train 3 times a day 5 or 6 days a week. If the sessions were that bad, we probably wouldn't have been able to get in there week after week. Most of the horror stories that you've heard were from guys that came in but couldn't cut it.
11/22/09 11:26 PM
Mr.Unbreakable

Word!
11/22/09 11:47 PM
Hotlanta

Most of the horror stories that you've heard were from guys that came in but couldn't cut it.

I don't have any horror stories except for my own experience in 96 going through the try-out. I had made it all the way to the leg raises, with jerry throwing my legs from side to side, I got to about 70 and I swear my hips could not hold my legs up anymore.

I quit and Les Allen from the Uk had made it. Out of 10 of us it was Les and I at the end and after the leg raises was the beatdown. Les did awesome.

I decided to go out with Vernon the night before with Mikey and Matt Rocca which was a dumb move on my part, don't think it would've helped.

Crossed over to Cesar Gracie and the rest is history.......

Tough bunch of dudes back in the day.Pretty fun experience.
11/23/09 12:07 AM
McLeod
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is it that certain grapplers who are considered amazing have endless videos available of them rolling/training with people (ala Lister, laimon, Gracies, Garcia, Jacare, Couture, etc..) but then people like Ken Shammy, Frank Shammy, Tony Cechine(sp), Matt Furey, Gokor, etc have maybe ONE video of them rolling on the entire web?
11/23/09 12:08 AM
McLeod
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BTW: I'm not saying that anyone sucks, etc. I just want to know how some people that have so many stories about them rolling have no footage?
11/23/09 12:55 AM
jaseprobst
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Lion's Den tryout I covered in 2002 was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Ken and his crew made sure those guys WANTED to be fighters. I wish every dickhead in an Affliction shirt and a fauxhawk mean-mugging people in the mall could do that tryout.

The Lion's Den was an integral part of early MMA and they should be respected for what they accomplished.
11/23/09 6:29 AM
Hotlanta

jaseprobst is correct in 99.9% of his post.

Although I'm not a fan of meatheads wearing MMA clothing ( I bought a tapout wife beater in 98 and an affliction shirt in 05) it's still good for the sport and financially helps out fighters via sponsorship.

The Lion's Den back in 94, when I first contacted Bob Shamrock, was the toughest team out there to be a part of.
I wanted to try out again after the military so I went back to see Bob Shamrock in 99 and passed his test which was based off of the Old Lion's den indoctrination which I failed.

It's definately not for everyone but it's a true test of heart and conditioning. Remember that Ken was financially backing your life as you make your way to PRO status. That was worth everything back then and all you had to do was pass his try-out. I still don't think these other teams financially help anyone besides letting you sleep on the mat for a few days. Fighter's back then, including me, were broke as all hell and were too bruised to hold up a cardboard sign asking for $$$. Definately a prize fighters' lifestyle back then.

I slept in my jeep when I fought in King of Cage in 2000.
Power bars for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Waited tables at Applebee's so I can eat and have gas money.... Crazy.

OOOOOOOOOps. Sorry, went off a bit. :)
11/23/09 6:32 AM
voorhees

I dont get it.

Power bars werent cheap.
11/23/09 6:48 AM
MMAunltd
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Unlimited, Online Editor
voorhees - I dont get it.

Power bars werent cheap.

Nor were cooking facilities?
11/23/09 6:49 AM
MMAunltd
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Unlimited, Online Editor
 P.S great to see Les Allen get a mention. The guy has a crazy amount of experience and has led a varied life with the martial arts. Only trains a few miles from me too.
11/23/09 9:26 AM
Hotlanta

Power Bar's not cheap? Of course they weren't. Not the point. That was all I had, literally. Applebee's for dinner when I had a shift (Stockton, CA.)

Les Allen.............Cool dude, tough as nails and we kept in touch for a while, then I moved back to GA and I lost contact with all the NorCal fighters. Good Times!
11/23/09 10:41 AM
CruJones
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

watch Bohlander vs Ferrozzo... it was just a diff sport & mindset back then. you didn't have a choice, you had to be tough as fuck.
11/23/09 10:44 AM
Mr.Unbreakable

Hotlanta - Power Bar's not cheap? Of course they weren't. Not the point. That was all I had, literally. Applebee's for dinner when I had a shift (Stockton, CA.)

Les Allen.............Cool dude, tough as nails and we kept in touch for a while, then I moved back to GA and I lost contact with all the NorCal fighters. Good Times!

TTT
11/23/09 3:16 PM
SD CARTEL
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The original lions den fighters are a large part of MMA history and should be respected as such.
11/23/09 3:22 PM
voorhees

SD CARTEL - The original lions den fighters are a large part of MMA history and should be respected as such.

I dont think anyone is denying that.

But were they really good trainers?
11/25/09 12:56 AM
Jerry Bohlander

Ha. Hotlanta, I remember that tryout. Good stuff. Those leg lifts were brutal late in the tryout.
11/25/09 1:25 AM
Exiive
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Col Angus - Are you now considered to be 'In a Living Death?'

LMFAO@THIS!
11/27/09 4:46 AM
Hotlanta

Yeah Jerry they were..........They're brutal even now.
I'm trying to find pics from the UFC party after your Gurgel fight. That's the 1st time Bob flew me out to the UFC before I tried to try-out :(

Looks like your doing well man, stay safe.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.