UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> CYBORG LIKELY TO FACE COENEN IN JANUARY

11/10/09 7:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AmericanPsychoMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9965&zoneid=13

- CYBORG LIKELY TO FACE COENEN IN JANUARY
Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - by Ken Pishna - MMAWeekly.com

Cyborg-v-Coenen.jpg

Marloes Coenen on Saturday night avenged a split decision loss that has been taking a place in the back of her mind for two-and-a-half years. In 1:05, she erased memories of that fight with an armbar submission of Roxanne Modafferi at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers.

It didn’t go quite as expected, “I wanted to choke her out, but then I was too aggressive,” she told MMAWeekly.com after the fight... but there are no complaints. She can now move on with a clean slate.

It now looks like she’ll get the title shot against Strikeforce 145-pound women’s champion Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos that was originally scheduled for Fedor vs. Rogers. Santos had to withdraw from the event due to an injury suffered in a grappling tournament in September.

The two are now expected to meet on Jan. 30 in Miami.
11/10/09 8:50 PM
kawz1
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice. Hopefully, women's MMA can begin to gain relevance outside of Ms. Carano.

Whatever happened to the women's tourney Strikeforce was talking about?
11/10/09 8:54 PM
98lbweakling
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking forward to seeing Cyborg fight again. I hope both Carano and Toughill get back in the mix soon too.
11/10/09 8:57 PM
Train Judo

"Nice. Hopefully, women's MMA can begin to gain relevance outside of Ms. Carano."

BEEP!
11/10/09 8:58 PM
AmericanPsychoMMA

kawz1 - Nice. Hopefully, women's MMA can begin to gain relevance outside of Ms. Carano.

Whatever happened to the women's tourney Strikeforce was talking about?

From what I am hearing I don't think it will happen.  I think Strikeforce spoke too soon around the whole Carano/Cyborg time period.  They said it to get everyone interested, but don't think they really had a plan on how to do it.  IMO they don't need a tourney, just have a belt at 145lbs and 135lbs and have contenders and title fights.  I do have to say that Strikeforce missed the boat by not showing the Coenen/Roxy fight on TV. 
11/10/09 8:59 PM
voorhees

Coenen is the 3rd female MMA fighter so far that I find attractive.

I dont care about her fighting anyone though.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.