UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Are we going to discuss the WSOP ME finale or wut?

11/11/09 12:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TorontoMike
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/11/09 12:50 PM

***SPOILERS***

Thoughts on how the final table played out?

-it was a shame Ivey didn't push with those pocket Jacks early in to the final table.

-for awhile there, Darvin was the table ATM, handing out cash left, right and centre... to everyone except Ivey. Then, when he does come through... it's against Ivey. It would have been nice had Phil been able to peel a few chips off him early in the day. Just a shame.

-Darvin didn't EVER seem to be able to lay a hand down. Most times he was raised or re-raised, he had the worst of it... but ended up pulling craziness out of thin air enough times that it didn't matter. I have trouble saying something bad about the guy. He seemed to be the worst player to ever make it that deep, but then he seemed to play Heads Up pretty good (except maybe the QJ call that ended up doing him in) Regardless, he seemed like an awesome dude with an awesome attitude... so what can you say.

-you have to feel bad for Saout... he probably should have been the champion if it wasn't for Cada's luck in both those All-ins. You had to feel for him and the French fans. When Cada and Saout were going at it, Cada said: "This is for the tournament." It was so true.

-unbelievable that Eastgate's record lasted only a year. Is poker a young man's game? At least in long format tournaments like the WSOP? What if there wasn't a 21 year age limit? What if it was 19 years old like in Canada? Cada had the most "suck out's" late in the tourney, and I guess timing and luck really played a part in his victory... but it is what it is. Isn't it?

Anyway, interested to hear what you guys think.
11/12/09 12:02 AM
nhbMIKE
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i cant watch poker on tv any more, the last wsop i watched was when fossil man won.
11/12/09 4:03 AM
WrestlingSucks
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its all a crap shoot when the worst player is overwhelming chip leader. The two players that played the worst ended up heads up. meh
11/12/09 12:04 PM
andre
438 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This year's final table was the worst thing that could happen to poker, imo. While Moon coming in second could inspire people to take up the game, most are going to see the game as much more heavily based on luck than it actually is. I think the respect for poker as a skill was knocked down a notch or two when the worst hand won so many times and had such a significant effect on the outcome. What I'm wondering is just how proud Cada feels about his win? While Im sure he played extraordinary poker to get to the final table, his performance once he was there should have guaranteed an early exit. He didnt with a coin flip several times, he was a huge dog in just about every shove.

As for poker being a young man's game, I dont believe that for a second. As I said, Cada shouldnt have won it this year. If anything, it should have been Shulman or Ivey.
11/12/09 1:02 PM
billid
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't watch it but from the comments it sounded like a good ol' online poker tourny!   Mostly better players make it to the end, some shitty players squeeze through.  All in coin flip fest till the best cards win!
11/12/09 8:10 PM
WrestlingSucks
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There wasnt even a coinflip fest. It was QQ losing to 33 all in preflop over and over again.
11/13/09 1:39 AM
TorontoMike

So... the question is:

Is it the worst thing to happen to poker?

or

Is it the best thing to happen to your bank roll because it will teach people to push with less than superior hands?
11/13/09 8:06 PM
Naughty Gorilla

I liked when Ivey repeatedly owned Cada earlier in the tournament..

Cada coming back from 1% is unreal.. like a crazy online SitnGo.. except it took 17 hours..
11/14/09 2:02 AM
flemsnopes

It seemed more like a sporting event this year, but that's t.v. for you. A couple of things I wonder about:

Did more pros make it pretty deep this year, or was it just editing?

If it wasn't editing, was it giving everyone a bigger stack to start with, or did they adjust the blinds, making the stack size less relevant?

If it wasn't editing and they didn't adjust the blinds, then I would guess the pros had more time to out last the dead weight.
11/14/09 8:17 AM
PR
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They started with 30,000 in chips. Used to be 10,000 for decades, then 20,000 for a couple years.

The reason is that they gave more starting chips for the preliminary events, and to keep the value the same they had to bump up the main event chips. Otherwise you would have incentive to steal chips from the earlier events and sneak them into your main event stack.
11/14/09 11:37 AM
TorontoMike

PR - Was the blind structure the same as in previous years?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.