UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> gimmee your chili recipes w/o beans

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

11/13/09 5:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shootfightermike
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

texas red is what they cqall it right?
11/20/09 8:27 PM
Jacob Lamb
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/6/10 3:33 PM
machinemg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CRichard posted a great recipe here a couple years ago. I use it as a template, but I substitute chuck eye in place of his smoked meats.
1/7/10 11:49 AM
crescentwrench
356 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/07/10 11:51 AM
 I actually didn't really care for Alton's chili.  It wasn't a bad chili, just didn't taste "correct" to me.

There are a million chili recipes and everyone has the one they think is better than the rest.  I won't tell you what's best, that will be up to people with unreasonable opinions.  I'll just get you started on what's famous.  

Here's the original according to some people.

Chili Queen Chili

This is, according to the legend, one of San Antonio chili queen's original recipe.

2 pounds beef, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 pound pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup suet
1/4 cup pork fat
3 medium onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 quart water
4 ancho chiles, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
1 serrano chile, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
6 dried red New Mexican chiles, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
1 tablespoon cumin seeds, freshly ground
2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
Salt, to taste

Lightly flour the beef and pork cubes. Quickly cook in the suet and pork fat, stirring often. Add onions and garlic and sauté until they are tender and limp. Remove all pieces of fat. Add the water to the mixture and simmer for 1 hour.

Grind the chiles in a blender or molcajete. Add to the meat mixture. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 2 hours. Skim off any fat that rises, then serve.

Apparently Lyndon Johnson also had a favorite recipe and Lady Bird gave it to people who came to the White House.

"Chili concocted outside of Texas is usually a weak, apologetic initation of the real thing. One of the first things I do when I get home to Texas is to have a bowl of red. There is simply nothing better."  -  Lyndon B. Johnson

LBJ's Pedernales River Chili

4 pounds coarsely ground beef (chili-grind) 
1 large chopped onion 
2 cloves garlic, minced 
1 teaspoon dried oregano 
1 teaspoon ground cumin 
6 teaspoons chili powder 
2 (16-ounce) cans tomatoes 
Salt to taste 
2 cups hot water

In a large frying pan, brown meat with onion and garlic until meat is lightly browned; transfer ingredients to a large kettle cast-iron Dutch oven.

Add oregano, cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, salt, and hot water. Bring just to a boil; lower heat and simmer, covered, for approximately 1 hour. Remove from heat. Skim off grease and serve.

Serves 12.

1/14/10 4:51 PM
intensebreauxs
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8_63NiTENw
1/16/10 8:14 PM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I made a chili this week based on CR1chard's recipe... turned out good. Next time I'm going to try to get all the components and be more faithful to his original recipe.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.