UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> ADCC pro Results???

11/25/09 9:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
blakGSR
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/26/09 9:19 PM
*** Double Post ***
11/26/09 10:35 PM
Hodgeny
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

did the NZ trials not have the same 65/74/83/92 weight divs that the Aus ones had?
11/27/09 12:39 AM
dojo stormer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the nz trials had u74kg, u88kg and over 88kg as the div for reps.

tickets were given to the white/blue open weight and purple/brown/black open wieght winners. a 3rd ticket was supposed to be given to a female competitor but they didn't have a female division.

brandon from one of the GB NZ clubs won the white/blues and graham took the purple/brown/black division. ben aldridge from GB sydney won the u74kg div, he has the right to represent NZ at the competition but just needs to get a ticket over there. pretty sure murray won the u88kg, he wasn't too impressed about the situation.
11/27/09 12:55 AM
Hodgeny
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

under/over 88kg? so no 83kg, and no under/over 92kg? I don't blame Murray for not being impressed; i thought they were all going to be the same. will be interesting to see what happens in April ...
11/27/09 3:50 AM
Muzz

dojo stormer and hodgeny,

first of all rodney, congrats on your win! I wish you all he best at the worlds! dojo stormer, to say I was unimpressed is an understatement.

You have the weights correct, under 78, under 88, 88+. These were what was advertised, and what we were forced to categorise ourselves into. On the day however, the organisers decided to change it to ONE OPEN DIVISION, ALL WEIGHTS. They didn't even announce it, graham and I heard from other competitors. I asked one of the organisers to verify, he didn't even know!!!! He had to ask douglas santos who then confirmed for me it was one open weight. That is why I was pissed, and they managed to deliver me the two heaviest first up. Hence the reason Graham is the ONLY purple, brown, black, qualifier as he beat me via points on way to final. Only a little embarrassing.

On a side note, I won my black belt div (under 85kg), only one match, and the guy weighed 95kg. Go figure. I always was under the impression with a couple minutes to go, that I was winning with graham, but my takedown wasn't awarded.

Also, he wasn't awarded points for his "turtle sweep", he got back control with about a minute to go. He won 5 to 1. Anyone care to explain how I got one point and where his extra point came from?

Another point of contention, the guy who came second, Hemi, (definitely someone to look out for) his opponent told me officials came and apologised saying he had actually won the match, but they weren't going to reverse the decision. (aka Hemi had lost) Hemis coach says otherwise, reputable source too and I believe him, but what the hell was going on?

So where did the $10K US disappear too that was meant to go to 2 other winners? (obviously there weren't 2 other winners, but one would assume the organisers got given that money, well according to one of the students there, they did).
11/27/09 7:06 AM
dojo stormer

hold on muzz, so what you're saying here is that the brazo's over in NZ are shadier then brazos over here in Oz in regards to handing out prizes and scoring matches?

whoa!!! that's a bombshell.
11/27/09 6:41 PM
Muzz

Edited: 11/27/09 6:53 PM
isn't it just, I can see you are struggling to hide your surprise. glad i could help you get your facts straight.

There was a womens div by the way, only one woman entered, so she goes.
11/28/09 1:58 AM
dojo stormer

muzz, was she a douglas santos student per chance?
11/28/09 10:18 PM
Hodgeny

Muzz, thanks for the well wishes.

I just found this:

http://www.fijja.org/videos

check out the 3rd video, he talks about the NZ & RSA trials being smaller ...
11/29/09 4:26 AM
dojo stormer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9JCB2Un6J8

ok, here is the muzz vs g match.

i got it 8-0, g with 2 turtle sweeps and the taking of the back, there was a multitude of advantages throughout the match.

now the takedown you refer to muzz is in fact just an advantage, citing rules from ibjjf:

A-) TAKE DOWNS: Any kind of knocking down the opponent or being taken down on his back side, 2 points. If the athlete is thrown to the ground and does not land on his back, the thrower must pin him to the ground in the same position for at least 3 seconds to gain the points of the take down.

Observation 1: the take down that lands outside of the fighting area and on to the security area will be valid as long as the athlete that applied it stood with both feet in the fighting area while making the take down.

Observation 2: If the athlete has one of his knees on the ground and is taken down, whoever applied the take down will be awarded 2 points as long as he has both his feet on the ground. If the athlete has both his knees on the ground and is knocked down the standing athlete will have to pass to his side and maintain this position to receive an advantage.

Observation 3: When the athlete attempts the double leg and the opponent sits on the floor and executes a sweep, the athlete who attempted the takedown will not receive points, but the one who executed the sweep will.

Observation 4: When a competitor throws his opponent and ends up in a bottomposition the competitor throwing will receive 2 points and the opponent on top will receive an advantage. If the competitor executing the throw lands in his opponents guard and is swept, both will receive 2 points.

in the first takedown attempt by the big guy at the 25sec mark, it is a failed uchi-mata by him and muzz lands on top which is nothing.

as we can clearly see around the 1.35 mark tat the good old "flinga-nage" only was able to succumb the black monster to his knees which is an advantage only.

anyway, it certainly wasn't one of your best efforts muzz as i have seen you compete and i've seen you totally dominate your opponents. your match with igor at the adcc qualifiers was a very good one that i enjoyed.
11/29/09 6:18 PM
byron2001

The first takedown should have been scored, Murray initiated the takedown with a duck under way before his opponent attempted the desperation uchi mata.

Probably wouldn't be able to score the second takedown has he barely got up and didn't end up on his back

I wouldn't have scored the turtle guard sweeps either.

I would have scored the match 4-2 to Graham.
11/29/09 11:30 PM
dojo stormer

Edited: 11/30/09 2:34 AM
Interesting how you say you wouldn't of scored the turtle sweeps. Any particular reason why you don't regard them as sweeps?I use the sweep a lot as well. Most people just aren't aware of it
11/30/09 9:16 PM
blakGSR
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I turtle swept/reversed a 100kg+ white belt last night.
Badass.
11/30/09 9:56 PM
byron2001

Edited: 11/30/09 9:57 PM
I think its a weapon just like other reversals from that position, but I just don't consider turtle position a guard (so to speak).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.