UnderGround Forums

Iowa Underground >> Whos to blame for crappy shows. frat

11/16/09 10:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JoeVIP
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I moved back to Iowa 6 years ago I was really pumped about the mma scene. At the time mma was not legal in TN so there were no shows. And from what I heard about IA mma shows happend all the time here. Now the first show I ever went to was quite a shock. Their were about 4 fights and 4 grappling matches. About 3 of the people in the show actually looked like they had any training. During the last grappling match the brother of one of the "competitors" was upset his brother was loosing so he jumped in the ring and hit the guy in the back of the head twice with a chair.wwe style. The promoters shut the show down and kicked everyone out.

After that first show I started to go to others around the state. At the time mma still was not as big as it is now. I got to see lots of great up and coming fighters. Josh Neer, Jason Black, Kieth Wisneski sp, Jeremy Stevens, Spencer fisher and a host of more. Just about everyone I saw fight atleast had some training in something. Even the ones that seemed to loose a lot but still put up some kind of fight. Now I know there were still some scubs in every show that should have never stepped in the cage. But that seemed to be the exception and not the rule.

My have those days gone. Now I know several promoters around IA. And I have no problem with any of them personally or professionally. Even the ones that hate each other and try to destroy their compatition. But I stopped going to local shows almost two years ago because it wasn't worth the money.Long gone are the days of fighters like those mentioned above who take it seriously and train hard and try and learn all they can. Now the shows are filled with guys who only train for a few weeks before their fight and don't know anything.

Yes I know their are still some guys out there that do take it seriously and do train all the time. But they are few and far between. Most shows are filled with 12 1 minute or less fights where 1 fighter is 14-2 vs fighter who is 2-14.So my question to all of you..fans,promoters and fighters. Who is to blame???

Is it the 50 promoters in the state who are putting on 5 shows every weekend all around the state?? So many shows so few real fighters.

Is it the trainers and gym owners who let some newb in their gym who has only been training a month fight. All the promoters know is it's some guy at some weight wanting to fight. The gym owner should know they are not ready.

Is it the state for not regulating it correctly and licensing all the fighters?? And not paying attention the the promotions to see which ones are doing things correctly??

There are exceptions to what I have posted. Some promoters in IA really try to put on good shows. And sometimes good fighters need warm up fights or get back on track fights. Or easy fights after a long layoff. I have no problem with good managers building a guy up. My problem is when the whole card is filled with these fights or people who shouldn't be fighting at all. So what say you?? what is your opinion??
11/17/09 8:13 AM
donkypunch55
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting topic… I’ll preface my remarks by saying that not all shows in IA are junk. MCC and Glory, both out of Des Moines, consistently put on good cards. Mainstream, RCC and Pinnacle, out of CR also have some good competition. That being said, I have been to some terrible shows… I feel part of the problem is that promoters feel pressure to have 10 or more fights on a card and can’t find 10 good match ups. So they have 2-3 good fights and the rest are just filler. Also, promoters are fond of filling out a 10 bout card with 7 amateur fights… this can lead to mismatches or just plain ineptitude. In the promoter’s defense, fighters are flakey as fuck, so often the card we get to see is full of last minute replacements and stand-ins…
Despite these problems, there are still fighters who train like they should and show up for a fight prepared. Our club, Valhalla Combat Club, and more specifically our fight team, HardDrive, have a reputation for being tough, skilled and ready on fight night. Part of the regional problem is that local fight teams often let their guys fight without being ready… all too often, 3 weeks of prep time for a bout is acceptable. If teams began holding their members to a higher standard, the quality of shows and fights would increase almost by default. It seems like there are a bunch of guys who like being known as a “fighter”, but are less than enamored with the training aspect of the title…
As far as a solution? I think time is an important element. This sport is young as fuck. As MMA increases in popularity, the fans will demand better and more consistent cards and will vote with their wallets. Also, as MMA becomes more popular, we will see the rise of more quality fight teams in the area, which will in turn provide a broader base of talent to draw from.
Just my opinion…
11/17/09 10:15 AM
JoeVIP

"If teams began holding their members to a higher standard, the quality of shows and fights would increase almost by default. It seems like there are a bunch of guys who like being known as a "fighter", but are less than enamored with the training aspect of the title..."

I really agree with this and think the problem begins here. The gyms and teams really need to start holding there guys to higher standers.
11/17/09 2:33 PM
donkypunch55

Part of the problem i feel is that gym's feel obligated to allow new members in due to the need to maintain a revenue stream, so Johnny Limpdick shows up, pays his monthly due and is now a member of team-X. We've tried to eliminate this by allowing anyone who wants to train to be able to sighn up and participate at Valhalla Combat Club, but in order to fight under our team flag, use our team members as corners or to claim to be a HardDrive fighter takes a unanimous vote among the coaches. This tends to push people to excell because they want to be like our "real" fighters...
11/17/09 7:17 PM
JoeVIP

I think everyone should get a chance to train. But to be on the fight team and rep the school is something that should be earned.
11/18/09 7:20 AM
donkypunch55

...Part of it is the fan base's responsibility too... promoters put on shitty shows because often they can get away with shitty shows. We need the fans to help regulate. if a show sucks, let the promotion know by voting with your wallet. in the same spirit, if a show has good fights and is well run, COME BACK! Not to back promoters (fuckin' snakes :)) but it's a hard biz to make money in and so if they do a nice job, it should be rewarded, again with the wallet...
12/22/09 10:15 AM
Halz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think that if you get a guy that trains for 3 weeks before a show you should feel lucky.  I have seen many that just hear they have a fight and just walk in as is.  There are lots of fighters that never train.
12/22/09 4:32 PM
donkypunch55

Halz -  I think that if you get a guy that trains for 3 weeks before a show you should feel lucky.  I have seen many that just hear they have a fight and just walk in as is.  There are lots of fighters that never train.

is this really true!!? please tell me no... we don't let our team members fight until they are ready... i guess i can answer this myself... i've been to shows...
12/23/09 5:10 AM
BIG IRISH

we always get guys that come to our gym and train 2 or 3 times and then ask " do you think I should fight next month?" NO! I DONT.... or you run into a guy who says he's a "street fighter" and will tel you they do all there training on the "street".... I'll tel ya, some ppls kids...
12/23/09 7:52 AM
donkypunch55

HAHA! "street fighter"... Anytime i hear that i know a few things are going to happen:
1) Dude's stand-up will be robotic, stiff, and totally infused with fear and terror because now he will be sparring with someone who knows the punch is coming...
2) Their "grappling" will consist of death clutching.
3)and lastly, they will try to take a fight next week...

...every fukin time...
12/24/09 5:51 AM
BIG IRISH

you said it all! they'll fight once and then might train a lil after they get their ass kicked and tell ppl their just gona train for a few months brfor they fight again, and then you wont see them again after a week or two of some hard training....
12/28/09 7:43 AM
donkypunch55

We’ve had a few guys who have showed up for the first time a week or so before a fight. They get 2 weeks of quality training, all the while promising that they’ll be back after their fight to make some real improvements… never to be heard from again. This has happened enough times that we have made the following rule: You are not a team Harddrive member until you have helped someone else get ready for a fight.
Any slapdick can muddle through a few weeks of hard work for their own benefit, but are you willing to do it for a teammate? This is one of the defining features of a real training partner…

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.