UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Interview w/ Tim Waid - Pekiti-Tersia Kali System

11/18/09 7:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
thefightnerd
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/18/09 7:51 PM
TheFightNerd.com, Editor in Chief

Tim Waid, a certified Master Instructor of the Pekiti-Tersia Kali System, informs us about Kali and knife fighting and what makes Filipino martial arts different from other styles. Tim also currently serves as Tactical Training Instructor to the Armed Forces of the Philippines, Philippine National Police, government agencies and private business. This video was shot at AcademyFivePoints.com. 

You can view the original link at www.thefightnerd.com/tim-waid-kali/
11/19/09 12:45 PM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This guy looks good, and I hate to say it, but he's almost the epitome of everything wrong with FMA today.

All the twirling and sidestepping and knife disarming is a waste of time, but it is fun to do.

But thanks for the post, it is interesting.

11/23/09 3:02 PM
New2MMA
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/23/09 3:17 PM
Widespread Panic,

I can agree that there are techniques and tactics in FMA that do not work, knife tapping is something that is difficult to functionalize, for example. I've read a lot of your thoughts and remember you advising people to go out and get the DLO DVD. I'd really like to hear about the techniques and tactics (FMA or otherwise) that you have made work against a bladed or impact weapon. This is something that really fascinates me and you seem to be adamant about people training stuff that really works-what has worked for you in this regard?

New2mma
11/24/09 11:59 AM
WidespreadPanic

Sure, I'll go over what works for me, but be aware I have never been in a real knife fight, if that's what you're getting at, and neither have 99.9% of the other modern FMA experts (and it shows).

1. Start out studying saber fencing and KK footwork;
2. Design and use a 'battlecircle', which is a set of chalked concentric circles drawn on the training room floor;
3. Use the correct size training knife, made of an unyielding but low impact material;
4. When using a sturdier training blade (of the appropriate size), use training gear, vest, fencing mask;
5. Emphasize practicing those elements that you can perform in an alive manner over static elements or dead drills;
6. Consider what might be common situations where blades might be employed and drill those over 'fantasy situations'.
7. Try to train with a variety of opponents of varying sizes and attributes.

Ask yourself, 'what about knife use and deployment can be trained in an alive manner at, or nearly at 100%?'.

Ask yourself, 'what is the correct size and composition of a training blade for optimal learning, and why?'.

Ask yourself, 'what are the low probability elements which are commonly trained; and can they learned and then be discarded and why?'.

HTH.
11/25/09 7:51 AM
New2MMA
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That sounds like an excellent way to develop skill. Thank you for sharing that.
1/31/10 4:14 AM
bjjbomb
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This guy stayed here in the philippines to train with tuhon leo gaje. He thought he was all that and would always look down on Filipinos and treat them like shit. In one of the kali workshops we asked tuhon if we could fight him and we were allowed to. tuhon arranged for us to spar with him then I beat his ass in front of the other guys that were there for the seminar. He is definitely not a master. pls don't think this is real fma guys. Take this from someone who has been in the arts for 20 years and has lived in the philippines his whole life. I can always try post the fight. There are a ton of way better reps of fma.
2/1/10 12:01 PM
lerdrit

bjjbomb, I would love to see the fight if you get a chance to put it up... In your opinion who would you consider some of the best teachers of FMA in the P.I?
2/1/10 12:27 PM
bjjbomb
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sreiter pls post the fight,if he doesnt i will, anyway there are lots of good ones and the most important thing is not having a closed mind and think that any style is the best. All styles have similarities they just emphasize certain attributes and techniques.think of it as different boxing gyms where the techniques are generally the same but the training methods and emphasis on certain techniques are different. That being said for power training, leo gaje, refined movements antonio diego, for an emphasis on a combination only found in this style which is very effective ireneo olavides. The best teacher in my opinion hands down though is sixto carlos he is an instructor in these four different styles certified by the founders themselves. He has come up with a very easy, no b.s. system that uses all the attributes in these styles. He doesnt promote a style but promotes training methods. He has really taught all military and police units here in the Philippines. His students have actually killed other people in the line of duty. He is also an educator so he really knows how to get the message across. People from all over the world travel to the Phils to train with him.
2/2/10 6:16 PM
lerdrit

bjjbomb, Very cool..thanks for the info. Does Sixto Carlos have a web site or any contact info on the web?
2/4/10 11:02 AM
bjjbomb

his number is 639159298036 or you can email him thru me then il forward your email to him my email add is alvin_aguilar@hotmail.com
9/2/10 12:05 AM
sreiter

bjjbomb - sreiter pls post the fight,if he doesnt i will, anyway there are lots of good ones and the most important thing is not having a closed mind and think that any style is the best. All styles have similarities they just emphasize certain attributes and techniques.think of it as different boxing gyms where the techniques are generally the same but the training methods and emphasis on certain techniques are different. That being said for power training, leo gaje, refined movements antonio diego, for an emphasis on a combination only found in this style which is very effective ireneo olavides. The best teacher in my opinion hands down though is sixto carlos he is an instructor in these four different styles certified by the founders themselves. He has come up with a very easy, no b.s. system that uses all the attributes in these styles. He doesnt promote a style but promotes training methods. He has really taught all military and police units here in the Philippines. His students have actually killed other people in the line of duty. He is also an educator so he really knows how to get the message across. People from all over the world travel to the Phils to train with him.

alvin - if you read this - sorry man. i havent been in this sub forum forever. i didnt even think it existed and stumbled on it. i just hang on the OG - i'll see if i can get the vid up

call me
9/2/10 12:09 AM
sreiter

wow - good for sixto - he is a very educated man (he was a veterinarian, wasnt he?)

and yes, he was training with the best of them. and a nice, and humble guy to boot.

now his brother, total mad man, in the best sense... gave me my nickname, mantutuli - funny as hell
10/2/10 2:42 PM
lerdrit

Hugh...KK is Krabi Krabong

sreiter...love to see the vid if you still got it
10/2/10 11:53 PM
sreiter

I Studies some krabi - the foot work was vary stiff

re:vids - i havent transferred them. still on vhs
10/17/10 8:44 AM
supersaiyan

ttt for the vids
10/18/10 11:17 PM
yusul
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
2/12/11 11:47 PM
3gsummit

http://www.fmatalk.com/showthread.php?1642-How-Was-PTK-Selected-to-Teach-the-Police-and-RP-Spec.-Forces
2/13/11 10:22 AM
WidespreadPanic

sreiter - I Studies some krabi - the foot work was vary stiff

re:vids - i havent transferred them. still on vhs

sreiter - Though you might have issues with some who would tout their footwork as KK, if you see the 'real thing' you can tell there are definitely elements that will be worth learning.

Specifically, there is a feeling of 'pressure' when a person who combines KK type footwork with decent stick or big knife work. I've been on the other end of it and it's impressive.

Oddly, the person doing it did not know he was using KK footwork.

Get the old tape by Marc Denny and Lonely Dog Rittiner on KK and watch his non-dominant foot/stepping (here his left foot). Practice this and incorporate it into your FMA and you will be surprised at the result. It is a bit difficult to get it working but when you do, you'll see what I mean.

HTH

2/13/11 11:25 PM
sreiter

HTH

i studied a little Krabi with guro dan, ron balicki, ajarn ChI Sirisute, and Lt. Col. Nattapong who teaches it at the thailand version of west point

i fought a guy who was a gold sash from the temple in thai that is the only recognized by the king for teach KK

i watch Ajarn Arlan "Salty Dog" Sanford of the Dog Brothers fight tons of times and had many discussions about his fighting style with with (crash and bash, and trade blows)
8/4/12 12:01 AM
supersaiyan

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.