UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Quick&Easy trout recipes?

11/21/09 9:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
droc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are your favorite recipes for trout?

I picked a few up on special and am looking for an easy recipe that's not going to take me all day to prepare.

Thanks

DROC
11/21/09 11:23 PM
Mikusoraiden
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mmmm pan fry that sumbitch with skin on!

I grew up on fresh caught trout but actually haven't personally fished for years. I think its time to get back into it.
11/22/09 9:03 AM
Mikusoraiden
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

there are some great cooks on here that no doubt have some better suggestions or tricks for its cooking, but here's a simple pan-fry recipe I just googled that reminded me most of what I ate growing up.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PanFriedTrout.htm

"This is my husband's, Don Stradley, recipe for freshly caught Rainbow Trout. Very easy and very simple recipe - but very good! My husband went on a fishing trip with his son over Father's Day weekend and caught these beautiful Rainbow Trout. I always leave the cooking to him when he brings home fish, and I also want the head cut off!

My husband cleaned the trout just after he caught them by gutting them, cutting off the gills, and most importantly, scraping off the blood line off the backbone.
Small trout up to about 1 pound in size often taste best lightly fried in butter. Rainbow trout are traditionally cooked and served with the skin on for added flavor. This has to be the easiest and quickest way to cook a trout."

Ingredients.
1 or 2 whole (1-pound) Trout, cleaned, head can be on or off but gills must be removed
2 ounces butter
1 plate of flour
Salt and pepper to season the flour

When ready to cook, rinse the fish under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. Drying will prevent the fish from steaming when you cook it. Cut a few diagonal slashes along each side of the fish. Roll fish in flour seasoned with salt and pepper until covered.

Heat the butter in a frying pan until bubbling, and then fry the trout for about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. To test for doneness when cooking the trout, insert a fork at the thickest point of the fish. Perfectly cooked fish is nearly opaque, should be very moist, and will flake easily with a fork. Fish that looks slightly dry is overcooked. Undercooked fish will look translucent and raw. If you have a meat thermometer, the internal temperature in the center of the fillet should reach 145ºF.

Serve with a slice of lemon for a slightly fresher, livelier taste.

NOTE: If you like to eat the fish skin, make sure you remove all the fish scales before cooking.

P.S. I've never personally liked lemon with it but obviously that's optional.
11/23/09 5:47 PM
Mikusoraiden

Cook any trout yet?
11/24/09 1:43 AM
Mullet @ Heart
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stuff it with herbs, and smoke it with a little cherry wood.
11/24/09 5:42 AM
droc

I was planning on doing it like on JamieOliver's website, which is how I did it before. But I couldn't get any flat parsley in my town... how mad is that?

So I basically did it like mikusoraiden said above, floured and fried it in butter on a ridged grill pan. I added a bit of lemon rind and butter while cooking it and squeezed lemon juice over the top when it was done.

It was very tasty.

I'd have liked to smoke it, but it's pretty cold here and it rained yesterday.

DROC
11/24/09 11:54 AM
Mark1

"But I couldn't get any flat parsley in my town... how mad is that?"

Lol  aren't you in Paris?

Mark
11/24/09 5:26 PM
droc

I'm in Franconville, about 10 miles out of Paris. Weird thing in France is that a lot of stores are closed on Monday and open on saturday, like the greengrocer around the corner from my apartment. The local supermarket only has curly parsley.

DROC 
11/26/09 8:34 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I usually do it like this:
Remove the skin. Put some lime juice on the fish. Roll in rye flour. Fry in a pan with butter. Finish with pepper and Maldon's smoked sea salt.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.