UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> question about legal job market

11/22/09 2:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
salyer36
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/12/10 2:41 PM

edit
11/22/09 5:28 PM
Fake Pie
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm kind of surprised you have to ask. Not trying to be a dick but have you not been paying any attention to the legal market and do they not discuss it at your law school? Your credentials are fine, probably very good for something close to where you are in any other year.

However, the legal market has absolutely blown the fuck up. Something like 3000 associates got laid off this year (see Black Thursday). No one is hiring, especially people coming out of law school. It is just a bad fucking time. Be glad you have a job at all, that is better than most.

Here, read this and keep up on things:

http://www.abovethelaw.com/
11/22/09 7:08 PM
salyer36
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/20/11 12:09 AM
11/22/09 8:28 PM
Fake Pie
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It would be hard for me to tell you about your credentials right now because unless you are like top 1%, there just aren't any jobs out there. No one is hiring.

If you graduated two years ago (when I did), I would have said those were solid credentials and you should get something, most likely at least in your area. Rutgers isn't top tier or anything, but your grades sound good (you need to tell me class percentage as that GPA could mean anything) and your resume is good so something locally will probably happen because firms like to recruit from the local schools.

However, this year solid means nothing unfortunately. I'm glad you already have a job. If you have a job at a national firm you are doing better than thousands of people that have been laid off with as good or better credentials than yours, so don't feel bad for yourself. Did your firm not have layoffs?
11/22/09 11:01 PM
salyer36

Edited: 10/16/10 11:14 AM
edit
11/23/09 12:40 AM
Shaz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well your stats are better that mine were when I graduated from Rutgers-Newark in 1998, and I've got a good job that I'm happy with - that being said, the market is different now than the way it was back then.

You may want to consider getting a clerkship your first year out to defer your loans another year and also build some more networking contacts.  

I wasn't very impressed with career services when I was there but that may have changed.  It's going to be very difficult to get a job nowadays fresh out of school on your own, it really helps to have some connection.  That sucks, but it's a fact of life.  Interestingly, the Rutgers name is more impressive the further from New Jersey you get.  In NJ, it's just the state university.  Elsewhere, it's almost considered ivy league just because the name has a lot of cache.  My family was very impressed when I got into Rutgers, not realizing that it's not top 10 or even top 25 (at least it was top 50 when I went there, now it's gotten even worse).  

Hopefully you plan on taking the bar in NY also to increase your job prospects, unless you plan on staying in NJ.  

Just out of curiosity, which journal are you on?  Me and another student founded the Rutgers Law Record when I was there.

-Shaz!
11/24/09 4:07 PM
goku

you want to know where your credentials rank? to be honest, they suck in this market

there are harvard and yale grads with experience that do not have a job...
11/24/09 8:00 PM
salyer36

Edited: 10/16/10 11:14 AM
edit
11/24/09 8:44 PM
Shaz

Cool - the CTLJ was there when I was there, the Business Law Journal must be new.

-Shaz!
11/25/09 10:35 AM
MMA Sports Agent

Slayer,

Welcome to my nightmare. I just graduated from a USN&WR top 30 law school with a 3.1 and TONS of high level federal government experience. Had work lined up in DC lobbying congress until my wife got 1)into Columbia to get her Ph.D. and 2)tons of fellowship and scholarship money thrown at her; we couldn't turn that shit down.

So a year ago I started to hit up the NYC entry level attorney job market. Nothing. Phone calls, emails, nothing ever gets a response. Was one and done with the NY bar exam as well, still nothing. Luckily I have an interview next week but I'm not holding my breath.
11/28/09 1:54 AM
PrettyBoy
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I clerked for a really great firm in Chicago where I went to law school...then moved back to California to take the bar. I was in the weeds forever it seemed looking for work. Long story short I applied to some adds I normally wouldn't and landed a spot in a small boutique firm. While it is nothing like the monster I used to work for, the hours and money are great and I'll likely be getting a brand new office with a view of the water in downtown San Diego very soon. Not bad for my first gig. I feel very blessed.

Good luck to you guys.
11/28/09 9:29 AM
goku

^^ thats the way to go these days imo...smaller firms still may hire because it takes very little to make those firms busy and they are not reliant on huge banks or corporations 
11/29/09 11:12 AM
salyer36

Edited: 04/27/10 2:04 PM
edit
11/30/09 4:13 AM
PrettyBoy
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Our day will come Salyer.
1/5/10 9:57 PM
halcyonday

In a sense, it is your credentials that are preventing you from finding a job. Because of the recession, there has been a huge slowdown in ALL practice areas, especially in corporate finance and real estate, which are the two areas that demanded the most associates. Now, there is less demand and therefore less available associate positions. Law firms can be ultra-selective on who they choose.

At first glance, your credentials seem fine. But, you are competing against associates that have better credentials than you. These associates would normally have been snatched up by Biglaw, but because there are less positions at Biglaw, they are flooding the job market with their applications.

That being said, you should look into being an Army or Air Force JAG officer. The compensation pales in comparison to $160k Biglaw (or even Midlaw), but you will get top-notch experience. By the time you finish your initial 4 years of active duty, you will substantial trial experience. Your civilian peers will still be stuck doing legal research and writing memos. Plus, the Army and Air Force will pay up to $65k of your student loans.
1/9/10 5:18 PM
J Flip

I graduated in May, passed the bar in October and now I am working at my law school.

In the library.

At the fucking circulation desk.

And I'm _still_ better off than some of the people I graduated with.
1/13/10 7:19 PM
PrettyBoy

J Flip - I graduated in May, passed the bar in October and now I am working at my law school.

In the library.

At the fucking circulation desk.

And I'm _still_ better off than some of the people I graduated with.

You said it man, I know people slinging t.v's at best buy right now.
1/14/10 1:02 PM
Xtina

terrible. 

sorry, dudes.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.