UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Megumi Fujii Moves To 19-0; "M-16" Wins Title

11/23/09 9:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMARising
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMARising.com, Owner

http://www.mmarising.com/news/2009/11/23/shooto-revolutionary-exchanges-3-results/

Yet another first-round armbar victim for Fujii.

In other action on the card, Rambaa "M-16" Somdet became the first Shooto World Flyweight Champion.
11/23/09 9:31 AM
AmericanPsychoMMA

That's awesome!
11/23/09 9:43 AM
threestars35

Strikeforce should make a 115lbs div. for Megumi
11/23/09 10:40 AM
MMARising

MMARising.com, Owner
Yeah, but they've decided to ignore that division altogether. Kind of frustrating when there are SO many good fighters in that weight class, and they're all extremely marketable as well.

However, Megumi's win should hopefully (finally) set up the superfight with Miku Matsumoto in JEWELS (or in DEEP for Miku's title), and that will be the best women's fight in years.
11/23/09 10:46 AM
MiddleEasy

Great article
11/23/09 10:47 AM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know whether she would fight at 125, but I'm positive Tara wants a piece of her, too.
11/23/09 10:53 AM
MMARising

MMARising.com, Owner
I believe that she's fought around that weight before, but the situation there is similar to the 135/145 one, where 115-pound fighters (or less - she's actually around 112 or so, I believe) should not have to move up for fights.

Regardless, I seriously think that she subs Tara in round one, and Tara's damn good. Who knows, though.

MiddleEasy -  Great article
Thanks, appreciate it.
11/23/09 11:13 AM
Steve4192
217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a big Megumi fan, but I really wish she would fight better competition.

Windy is solid veteran, but she has struggling something fierce for the last 12 months (0-4-1).  I really don't see the logic behin Megumi fighting her right now.  But at least Tomomi is a legit pro fighter.  She is a huge step up from the noobs that Mega Megu has been smashing recently.

Somebody needs to start booking Fujii in competitive fights.  I would LOVE to see her fight Miku Matsumoto, Yuka Tsuji, Hitomi Akano, Satoko Shinashi, Tara Larosa, or Rosi Sexton.  Those would be awesome competitive scraps.  No more squash matches against the Won Bun Chu's or Tomoko Morii's of the world.
11/23/09 12:13 PM
MMARising

MMARising.com, Owner
To be fair, Megumi's previous fight against Saori Ishioka was a very legitimate one and Saori actually put up an even better fight than expected. She was the top rising star in Jewels and there was no one else for Megumi to face at the time.

Yuka Tsuji has been ducking Megumi for years and that fight probably won't ever happen. Yuka's in Valkyrie anyway.

Hitomi and Tara both fight between 125 and 135 and that's a bit high for Megumi, but fights with Miku or Satoko (when she's back - and at 105 pounds because Satoko is tiny) would be awesome.

Oh, and Hisae Watanabe is supposed to be returning either next month or soon after. She faced Megumi in an "exhibition kickboxing bout" a few months ago, but a real MMA fight between them would also be great. It's either Megumi by submission or Hisae by shocking KO.
11/23/09 12:19 PM
Tomato Can
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty pointless fight for Mega Megu. Matsumoto and Tsuji are the only fights that really matter for her now, unless her and Larosa can meet at 125 or something.
11/23/09 1:27 PM
Mmanizzle

What weight does Megumi fight at?
11/23/09 1:47 PM
Steve4192
217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMARising - Hitomi and Tara both fight between 125 and 135 and that's a bit high for Megumi, but fights with Miku or Satoko (when she's back - and at 105 pounds because Satoko is tiny) would be awesome.

I thought Tara has been exclusive at 125 for a while now.  I know someone asked her about a return to 135 and she said she would need a few months to bulk back up.

IIRC, Akano has spent most of her career at 128.  That is a big part of the reason why the Cyborg fight was a farce.

I knew Satoko was tiny, but I would still like to see it.  Her biggest problem has been dealing with powerful strikers, and that is not Fujii's game.  That fight would be an interesting grappling contest IMO (though Mega Megu would obviously have a substantial size advantage).
11/23/09 1:48 PM
Steve4192

Mmanizzle - What weight does Megumi fight at?

Mostly 115.  She has occasionaly moved up to find better opponents.
11/23/09 1:50 PM
bongwater7654
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

somdets fight last night

www.mixedmartialarts.com/ 
11/23/09 1:55 PM
MMARising

MMARising.com, Owner
Mmanizzle - What weight does Megumi fight at?

In general, between 110 and 120, but there have been a few exceptions.

All (or nearly all) of her recent fights have been at 115.

For her to fight the likes of Tara LaRosa (who's a natural 130-pound fighter), she'd have to put on weight to fight at around 125 pounds and would be giving up a significant size and strength advantage to Tara.

For her to fight Satoko Shinashi, it would have to be at around 105 pounds because Satoko is extremely small and has to come up in weight just to fight at 106 pounds, where she spent most of her career.

Satoko's been fighting at 99 pounds since not long after Hisae Watanabe KOed her in 2006, but she's been away for quite a few months now because she had a child. She's supposed to be returning to MMA, but I don't know when exactly.

Satoko is the DEEP Women's Flyweight (99-Pound) Champion. Miku is the DEEP Women's Lightweight (106-Pound) Champion. Megumi doesn't need a belt because she's just awesome.
11/23/09 2:07 PM
Sean "Tink" Quinn

ttt
11/23/09 2:14 PM
MMARising

Edited: 11/23/09 2:15 PM
MMARising.com, Owner
Very high-quality videos of Rambaa's fight have been posted in this thread:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/?go=forum.posts&thread=1557059&forum=1&page=1&pc=6

If Megumi's fight is uploaded to YouTube or elsewhere later today, I'll post or link it here.

Edit: Oops, just saw that this was also linked in the post a few above this. Oh well, more links for Rambaa!
11/23/09 2:22 PM
bongwater7654
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMARising - Very high-quality videos of Rambaa's fight have been posted in this thread:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/?go=forum.posts&thread=1557059&forum=1&page=1&pc=6

If Megumi's fight is uploaded to YouTube or elsewhere later today, I'll post or link it here.

Edit: Oops, just saw that this was also linked in the post a few above this. Oh well, more links for Rambaa!

one of my favorite fighters he's got some serious speed and muay thai  wec needs to get that division going
11/23/09 2:28 PM
AmericanPsychoMMA

Steve4192 - 
MMARising - Hitomi and Tara both fight between 125 and 135 and that's a bit high for Megumi, but fights with Miku or Satoko (when she's back - and at 105 pounds because Satoko is tiny) would be awesome.

I thought Tara has been exclusive at 125 for a while now.  I know someone asked her about a return to 135 and she said she would need a few months to bulk back up.

IIRC, Akano has spent most of her career at 128.  That is a big part of the reason why the Cyborg fight was a farce.

I knew Satoko was tiny, but I would still like to see it.  Her biggest problem has been dealing with powerful strikers, and that is not Fujii's game.  That fight would be an interesting grappling contest IMO (though Mega Megu would obviously have a substantial size advantage).

Tara won't return to 135lbs until she reaches #1 ranked at 125lbs at least that's what Tara said earlier this year.
11/23/09 2:31 PM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AmericanPsychoMMA - 
Steve4192 - 

Tara won't return to 135lbs until she reaches #1 ranked at 125lbs at least that's what Tara said earlier this year.
Not exactly, but pretty close to what she told me in October. I guess we'll see after the Bellator tourney.
11/23/09 3:15 PM
AmericanPsychoMMA

Edited: 11/23/09 5:39 PM
11/23/09 5:40 PM
AmericanPsychoMMA

11/24/09 2:23 AM
MMARising

MMARising.com, Owner
^ Cool pictures.
11/24/09 3:14 AM
JimmersonzGlove
504 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is Megumi's age? Does she still train with Barnett at all? Thanks in advance.
11/24/09 3:22 AM
MMARising

MMARising.com, Owner
35 and yes, she does.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.