UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Anyone read the "Dragonlance" novels?

11/24/09 8:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Obama's Boytoy
393 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PoundforPound - Garet Jax from "Wishsong of Shanara" was the baddest man in fantasy.

I am going to have to agree whole heartedly with you on that.  He makes Legolas look like Chris Farley on Beverly Hills Ninja.
11/24/09 10:21 AM
slam1523
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From these two authors, I also liked these not in dragonlance:

Darksword
Star of the Guardians
Death Gate Cycle

Death Gate and Dragonlance Legends were the best, imo.
11/24/09 10:27 AM
CavemanDave
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I also have an addition.

If you liked the Forgotten Realms stuff, you do yourself a disservice by not reading the War of the Spider Queen series.

11/24/09 10:31 AM
Nitecrawler
1968 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slam1523 - From these two authors, I also liked these not in dragonlance:

Darksword
Star of the Guardians
Death Gate Cycle

Death Gate and Dragonlance Legends were the best, imo.

I think I read the Death Gate Cycle. Did the dude have like runes drawn all over him and thats how he would cast spells? Also something to do with a labyrinth?
11/24/09 10:36 AM
slam1523

yep.
11/24/09 5:36 PM
DreamerMMA
565 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rupture Clothing, Reg. Marketing Rep.
CavemanDave - I also have an addition.

If you liked the Forgotten Realms stuff, you do yourself a disservice by not reading the War of the Spider Queen series.

Was that Margaret Weisman's books?
11/25/09 6:52 AM
DMMA

The Elastic Assassin,

Is that list in chronological order?

DMMA
11/25/09 7:04 AM
The Elastic Assassin
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DMMA - The Elastic Assassin,

Is that list in chronological order?

DMMA

i believe so...
11/25/09 7:04 AM
buddyang

What's the best version of the book, I'd like to get a nice handsome looking book for the shelf.

Also has there ever been a Dragonlance graphic novel?
11/25/09 7:09 AM
Dcastillo
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Berserk > Dragonlance. Sorry ;[
11/25/09 10:50 AM
Stronghold
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Waylay -  DL Chronicles and Legends were the absolute bomb when I was 13. 

That's the problem; if you are not 13, the writing in DL kinda sux.
11/25/09 10:53 AM
None So Blind
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ideepthroatcolt - Tass is so annoying. I wish him dead.

Oh wait he is!!!

I win.

My best bud at the time and I read the books at the same time - he loved Tass, I loathed him. It almost ended the friendship :-P
11/25/09 10:54 AM
None So Blind
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steve72 - I totally didn't cry when Sturm died.

+1

I hated that bitch for years for killing him, and being assfucked for all eternity by a DeathKnight was *almost* enough punishment for her ;-)
11/25/09 10:54 AM
slam1523

Stronghold - 

lol, the writing in fantasy as a whole kinda sux. reading fantasy to appreciate the art of writing is not the point...
11/25/09 10:58 AM
panic686
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah I enjoy the weiss and hickman stuff. the other stuff was crap tho
11/25/09 10:59 AM
None So Blind

PoundforPound - Garet Jax from "Wishsong of Shanara" was the baddest man in fantasy.

+1

Dude went out like a fucking MAN, fighting (and likely beating) a demon that no human could ever expect to stand against, a demon that took out the Shannara equivalent of Gandalf.
11/25/09 11:02 AM
None So Blind

gravedigger - How did Sturm die.
Got speared through the chest fighting off a Dragon Highlord while defending a castle - that Highlord turned out to be a former friend of the group, Kitiara. In fact, IIRC she still hooked up with Tanis later on, they had been fuckbuddies at some point previously.

She got away in the first trilogy, but later on received a fairly satisfying comeuppance. Don't know if she ever got brought back from that....

11/25/09 11:41 AM
CavemanDave
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DreamerMMA - 
CavemanDave - I also have an addition.

Was that Margaret Weisman's books?

It's several books each one carried on by different authors.
11/25/09 11:54 AM
Obama's Boytoy
393 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/25/09 12:11 PM
slam1523 - 
Stronghold - 

lol, the writing in fantasy as a whole kinda sux. reading fantasy to appreciate the art of writing is not the point...

I disagree.  I disagree completely.  Read Lord of the Rings.  Read anything by Robert Jordan.  Read Terry Brooks.  You are completely misinformed. 

*Edit: Piers Anthony is another one who can definitely hang with any Non-Fantasy writer.
11/25/09 11:56 AM
Obama's Boytoy

None So Blind - 

+1

Dude went out like a fucking MAN, fighting (and likely beating) a demon that no human could ever expect to stand against, a demon that took out the Shannara equivalent of Gandalf.
I believe it was called a Jachyra... or something like that.  And I cried like a hungry Ethiopian when he died.  Ha Ha

11/25/09 12:06 PM
slam1523

Obama's Boytoy - 
slam1523 - 
Stronghold - 

I disagree.  I disagree completely.  Read Lord of the Rings.  Read anything by Robert Jordan.  Read Terry Brooks.  You are completely misinformed.

No, Goodkind is the best
11/25/09 12:13 PM
Obama's Boytoy

slam1523 - 
Obama's Boytoy - 
slam1523 - 
Stronghold - 

No, Goodkind is the best
I added Piers Anthony.... and yes, Terry Goodkind is another one.  But I digress.  I was just trying to make a point that Fantasy writers are just as talented as any other type of writer.

11/25/09 12:35 PM
NotsoMightySkull
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am reading Memories Of Ice by Steven Erikson. The Series starts with Gardens of the Moon. He is not for kids. Also check out Glen Cooks Black Company series. Great Dark Fantasy. You can get the earlier Black Company books in compilations.
11/25/09 12:41 PM
CavemanDave

Obama's Boytoy - 
slam1523 - 
Obama's Boytoy - 
slam1523 - 
Stronghold - 

No, Goodkind is the best
I added Piers Anthony.... and yes, Terry Goodkind is another one.  But I digress.  I was just trying to make a point that Fantasy writers are just as talented as any other type of writer.

How are you pointing out good fantasy authors and leaving out both Martin and Feist?

Not to mention it's become trendy to trash writers like Weis and Salvatore.... In my opinion this is like trashing TV for being good TV (which is rare enough).  The books are good, fun reads.

11/25/09 12:53 PM
Obama's Boytoy

Edited: 11/25/09 12:53 PM
CavemanDave - 
How are you pointing out good fantasy authors and leaving out both Martin and Feist?

Not to mention it's become trendy to trash writers like Weis and Salvatore.... In my opinion this is like trashing TV for being good TV (which is rare enough).  The books are good, fun reads.

lol.... Ok, I will list all my favorites if you really want me to.  But we both know that people who say an author who writes Fantasy can't be taken seriously, just because his main characters are Elves, Trolls, Dwarves etc, are just silly buffoons.  That was the point I was attempting to convey.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.