UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Anyone read the "Dragonlance" novels?

11/25/09 12:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
slam1523
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i was joking. we all know Goodkind isn't a fantasy writer.
11/25/09 12:54 PM
None So Blind
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, all questions of style and talent aside, weren't the Dragonlance books the first real attempt at putting a D&D adventure into paper? Didn't they actually role-play a bunch of the plot prior to writing just to see where it took them, and then incorporated that into the stories?

To be fair, I think the "Guardians of the Flame" series was out at near the same time, and that was highly D&D influenced, although with a nasty edge to it (e.g., torture, gang rapes, etc.).
11/25/09 12:57 PM
Obama's Boytoy
352 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/25/09 12:58 PM
slam1523 - i was joking. we all know Goodkind isn't a fantasy writer.
That depends on your definition of Fantasy.  A lot of Science Fiction writers could fall under both categories.  And yes, it IS possible to be a fan of Science Fiction and Fantasy simultaneously.
11/25/09 12:58 PM
orcus

The Sleeping Dragon was awesome.
11/25/09 1:06 PM
jkd_guy
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Too bad there are so little stories concerning the main group of people.

There's Chronicles, which is basically their only story where they are all together.
Well, there is a prequel of all of them going along with Raistlin to a town to sell stuff, but thats about it.
11/25/09 1:09 PM
GladiatorGannon
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/25/09 1:10 PM
Obama's Boytoy - 
slam1523 - 
Stronghold - 
Waylay -  DL Chronicles and Legends were the absolute bomb when I was 13. 

That's the problem; if you are not 13, the writing in DL kinda sux.

lol, the writing in fantasy as a whole kinda sux. reading fantasy to appreciate the art of writing is not the point...

I disagree.  I disagree completely.  Read Lord of the Rings.  Read anything by Robert Jordan.  Read Terry Brooks.  You are completely misinformed. 

*Edit: Piers Anthony is another one who can definitely hang with any Non-Fantasy writer.

Robert Jordan had great vision, scope and world building skills, but his writing style had serious flaws.
11/25/09 1:10 PM
slam1523

Obama's Boytoy - 
slam1523 - i was joking. we all know Goodkind isn't a fantasy writer.
That depends on your definition of Fantasy.  A lot of Science Fiction writers could fall under both categories.  And yes, it IS possible to be a fan of Science Fiction and Fantasy.

Goodkind has said, on numerous occasions, that sword of truth is not fantasy. i think he believes it's philosophy. apparently, the man is crazy.

i like reading fantasy, but i won't say its the best writing, or even on par with other genres. too many bad writers on the bandwagon after LOTR: the movie, and harry potter. fun, interesting ideas for history buffs and romantacists.

imo, best current fantasy writers, by far, are LeGuin and Wolfe.
11/25/09 1:15 PM
panic686
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nitecrawler - Shit some good fucking picks on that list pretjah. Found this vid on youtube and did a WTF at some of the picks but some of them are genius.

Yeah the gary Oldman and russel crowe pics were very wtf, however I liked david bowie for raistlin
11/25/09 1:17 PM
Pretjah
750 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i like bowie as an older raistlin  but remember you can make a younger person look older but its very hard to do the other way   thats why i went with jude law
11/25/09 1:19 PM
Obama's Boytoy
352 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GladiatorGannon - 
Obama's Boytoy - 
slam1523 - 
Stronghold - 
Waylay -  DL Chronicles and Legends were the absolute bomb when I was 13. 

That's the problem; if you are not 13, the writing in DL kinda sux.

lol, the writing in fantasy as a whole kinda sux. reading fantasy to appreciate the art of writing is not the point...

I disagree.  I disagree completely.  Read Lord of the Rings.  Read anything by Robert Jordan.  Read Terry Brooks.  You are completely misinformed. 

*Edit: Piers Anthony is another one who can definitely hang with any Non-Fantasy writer.

Robert Jordan had great vision, scope and world building skills, but his writing style had serious flaws.
As far as Jordan goes, the only thing I disagree with is how he empowers women so much.  They are always so defiant and pig headed.  He portrays them as these self reliant man hating forces of nature.  When in reality, most of them would just get the smack down from whatever guy they "sniffed" or "tugged their braid" at.  Of course, there are exceptions... The Aes Sedai and Aiel chicks are good examples. 
11/25/09 1:20 PM
slam1523

jude law seems like he'd be a whiney bitch.

Raistlin never bitched.
11/25/09 1:20 PM
CavemanDave
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know who would make a good Raislin?  Robert Pattison from Twilight!

**Awaits well deserved death via mass geek-stoning**

11/25/09 1:21 PM
Obama's Boytoy

Edited: 11/25/09 1:23 PM
Pretjah -  yeah great books!!!!

here is my cast, from teh other thread

Raistlin -  jude law
Caremon - tom welling
Tasselhoff  - Dominic Monaghan
Flint - ryan hurst (plays opie in Sons of Anarchy)
Tika -
Tanis -  Heath ledger would have been great - but now i'll go with eric bana
Goldmoon - the chick who played helen of troy in Troy i forget her name
Riverwind - benjamin bratt
Sturm  - Timothy olyphant

Laurana  -

Who would you choose for Kitiara??  I would like to see Eliza Dushku.

Also... I think Christopher Lambert would make a good Raistlin

11/25/09 1:22 PM
slam1523

what was the name of that little female gnome that loved Raistlin? Burpee or something?
11/25/09 1:22 PM
CavemanDave
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bupu I think.
11/25/09 1:25 PM
slam1523

thanks, I always felt sorry for her. Raistlin used her, that asshole.
11/25/09 1:26 PM
Obama's Boytoy

CavemanDave -  Bupu I think.

Yes
11/25/09 1:29 PM
Pretjah
750 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

she was a gully dwarf not a gnome
11/25/09 1:31 PM
Meohfumado
297 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shiloh Fusepe - I always thought that Tolkien's writing style was boring garbage.

Tolkien was great for describing their "journey" but he was absolutely terrible in describing combat.

His idea of stirring combat text was:

"...and Aragorn killed many."
11/25/09 1:38 PM
Pretjah

for kitiara - dushku has the look but i dont think she has the edge (and i love her)

i think i'd go with rhona mitre(spelling?)  from the last underworld  she'd be perfect i think

for tika - i think eliza dushku or zooey deschanel would be good cause of their bounceness

i think for lauranna i think they'd be better off with a new hot blonde that no ones heard of
11/25/09 1:52 PM
Fightin_Chance
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Laurana standing over Sturm's body and facing off with Kitiara still makes me goosebump up
11/25/09 1:56 PM
jkd_guy
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Although she was the voice of Goldmoon, Lucy Lawless would make a good Kitiara.
11/25/09 1:57 PM
Pretjah

a young lucy lawless would have.
11/25/09 2:38 PM
Roundhead

Chronicles and Legends were great reads. I finished reading the Dark Disciple books recently. Still great after all this time
11/25/09 2:55 PM
None So Blind
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meohfumado - Tolkien was great for describing their "journey" but he was absolutely terrible in describing combat.

His idea of stirring combat text was:

"...and Aragorn killed many."

Actual LOL

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.