UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Anyone read the "Dragonlance" novels?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

11/25/09 5:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NYHC
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i read almost all of them but tbh i preferred forgotton realms.
11/25/09 5:18 PM
von niten
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After reading this thread I went and dug out The DL and Shanarra books for my son to see if he was interested in reading.  He looked them over and said "nah, I'll wait for the next ____ vampire book to come out".

I'm thinking about abandoning him.

Tasslehoff was fun to read about.

I also enjoyed Glenn Cook's Rose series.
11/25/09 5:19 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fightin_Chance -  Laurana standing over Sturm's body and facing off with Kitiara still makes me goosebump up

11/25/09 6:47 PM
Stronghold
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone read Tommy R Reid's stuff?
12/2/09 12:25 AM
gregbrady
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chronicles was better than the Forgotten realms stuff. The best Forgotten Realms books by far are the 1st trilogy where they introduce Drizzt where they're up in the frozen north. That one is a close second to Chronicles. I didn't like the dark elf trilogy. Some of the Dragonlance stuff not written by Weiss or Hickman is horrible. I finished the new stuff with Mina about a year ago. It was decent.
12/2/09 12:44 AM
Canada1

huge fan of dragonlance, RA Salvatore, Robert Jordan, um a couple of names i didnt see in here Raymond E Feist (my personal favourite) and some of david eddings stuff(ive read it all but it took a while to get into some of the books)
12/2/09 12:52 AM
Doomsday

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hicks, I think...
Greatest set of books ever! The whole universe was great!

Though I like the Belgariad a lot.
12/2/09 2:49 AM
Meohfumado
382 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doomsday - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hicks, I think...

Weis and Hickman also did Death Gate cycle, which was also very cool.

Don't fuck with Haplo or his dog...he was one surly Patryn.
12/2/09 12:52 PM
None So Blind
275 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doomsday - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hicks, I think...

Belgariad is *AWESOME*

The followup (Malloreon) was hit and miss, but if you like the first as much as I did, the second one had some diamonds worth digging through the coal to get...
12/2/09 12:55 PM
The Elastic Assassin
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i am in the process of listens to the third book......on chapter 10 i think...the first dragon on dragon violence......
12/2/09 11:34 PM
gregbrady

I actually had the Dragonlance boardgame when I was a kid. It was fucking awesome. Had a knight riding a badass looking fire-breathing dragon on the front. My buddies and I used to play that game a lot when we were kids.
12/3/09 12:58 AM
DreamerMMA
689 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rupture Clothing, Reg. Marketing Rep.
gregbrady -  The best Forgotten Realms books by far are the 1st trilogy where they introduce Drizzt where they're up in the frozen north. That one is a close second to Chronicles. I didn't like the dark elf trilogy. 

The trilogy you are thinking of with Drizzt in the frozen North was "The Icewind Dale Trilogy".

12/3/09 1:04 AM
MuaySteve
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Weis and Hickman also did Death Gate cycle, which was also very cool."

Death Gate Cycle does not get enough props imo. It is one of my favorites.
12/3/09 2:43 AM
Slapnutz
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

for later
12/3/09 1:11 PM
Slapnutz
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ok, to anyone who liked Tasselhoff just for the pure comedy of his character...

My suggestion would be to read the Cleric Quintet from Salvatore.

There are two dwarven brothers in there named Ivan and Pikel who are fucking hilarious....it's like having curly and shemp as dwarves.

I seriously laughed out loud more times than I can count while reading about those two.

In one of the books, they make like a bungie cord device that is strapped around both of their belly's with the knot being around a branch of a tree. when one of them falls out of the limb to fall down close to the ground all the while clobbering zombies and goblins, the other one gets shot up into the branches hitting his head on limbs and stuff, then the other one is shot up into the branches while the one who just hit his head on several limbs, gets shot toward the ground only to come inches away from smashing into the ground and he gets to swing at the zombies and goblins.

The whole time they are cussing at the zombies and goblins, cussing because after they hit them they are shot upwards into the tree branches and then cussing at each other because they are each blaming the other brother for the dumb idea of the bungie cord yet they keep swinging up and down and have no time to let themselves loose from the contraption.

It's frickin great.

Did I also mention that Ivan is a dwarven fighter who is badass with a great axe and his brother Pikel is a dwarven druid (everyone goes...a dwarven druid...WTF) who speaks like a tard.

The few words Pikel ever says is: Oii, Oww, Me Brudda, and he pronounces druid DOO DAD

he also pronounces his shilaleigh as SHA LAA LAA.

They are great well written comical characters.

Also check out The artemis entreri and jarlaxle trilogy and the last two drizzt novels for a dwarven character called ATHROGATE who is a twin morning star weilding badass who also feels compelled to ryme and make lymirics when he's fighting. That character is funny as hell too.

In the latest drizzt book from Salvatore, ATHROGATE has a figurine (sorta like Drizzt's black panther) that turns into a giant hell hog. He uses this as a mount to ride.

The pig can stomp on the ground and cause a wave of fire to appear around him doing fire damage in a circular pattern around the pig...he can also breathe fire (not like a dragon, more like a hell steed horse) and can fart flames too.

At one point when ATHROGATE is fighting he says a poem that is basically something like this:

" I'll swing me clubs and I'll kill them all, cause swinging me clubs makes me have a ball, if these stupid orcs figure out me game, I'll spur me pig and make him fart some flame "

I laughed when I read that.....
12/3/09 7:55 PM
gregbrady

^Unfortunately the Cleric Quintet was shit other than that. Tasslehoff had a great story he was involved in.
12/3/09 8:25 PM
Slapnutz

gregbrady - ^Unfortunately the Cleric Quintet was shit other than that. Tasslehoff had a great story he was involved in.

I disagree....i liked it, but to each his own
12/7/09 3:57 PM
Slapnutz

ttt

for dragonlance
12/7/09 4:55 PM
Stronghold
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aren't there like 200 DL novels? Which ones are the 'good, must read' ones?
12/7/09 5:39 PM
gregbrady

Stronghold - Aren't there like 200 DL novels? Which ones are the 'good, must read' ones?

Anything by Weis and Hickman. The rest are hit or miss and some are unreadable. Must read are "Chronicles" trilogy without a doubt. If that doesn't get you hooked they're not for you.
12/7/09 6:09 PM
Tom Hanks

Read in order:
The Chronicles
Legends Trilogy (My favorite trilogy in the DL set)
The Second Generation
Dragons of a Summer Flame
Dragons of a New Age
The War of Souls
The Dark Disciple

Then you can read stuff like The Dahamon Saga, Elven Nation, and Heros. (Heros has my single favorite book in the set, Legend of Huma.)
12/7/09 6:19 PM
GaymidaGaydan
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really like all the DARK SUN books.

Cool universe.
12/7/09 8:14 PM
gregbrady

Tom Hanks - Read in order:
The Chronicles
Legends Trilogy (My favorite trilogy in the DL set)
The Second Generation
Dragons of a Summer Flame
Dragons of a New Age
The War of Souls
The Dark Disciple

Then you can read stuff like The Dahamon Saga, Elven Nation, and Heros. (Heros has my single favorite book in the set, Legend of Huma.)

The Legend of Huma is an awesome book too. I didn't like Legends. Is Elven Nation any good? That's the one with the Qualinesti elf refugees right?
12/7/09 8:14 PM
gregbrady

GaymidaGaydan - I really like all the DARK SUN books.

Cool universe.

I've been meaning to check it out. It's Dungeons and Dragons based right?
12/7/09 9:27 PM
mikecard

Nitecrawler - 
Steve72 - 
Nitecrawler -  I was then told that there was a shitty animated movie that came out a few years ago

Never fucking happened, and I will kill anyone who says otherwise.

Holy shit this looks fucking terrible....WTF is with the mix of CGI & anime?

This makes baby jeebus cry :(

the books are fucking awesome...i almost slit my wrists during this movie

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.