UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Anyone here make their own BBQ sauce?

11/24/09 2:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GrandInquisitor
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Despite being more interested in baking and pastry making, I love to grill, and I recently began to make my own BBQ sauce (which I use on everything).

If anyone actually wants the recipe, I'd be happy to share, but it's primarily based around getting whole tomatoes, tomato sauce together with vinegar, caramalized onions, spices, molasses, honey, and dark brown sugar together and cooking them at a lazy bubble for about 3-4 hours and then blending everything to a smooth texture.

I'm very happy with it, although I'd be interested to see if anyone else makes their own sauce.
11/24/09 4:32 PM
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I make a "standard" BBQ sauce - it's ketchup based with guinness in it, along with all the other stuff. I also make a mustard-based sauce for pulled pork - it's a combination of yellow and dijon mustard, sautteed onion/garlic, maple sugar, cider vinegar, and hot sauce.
11/29/09 2:01 AM
MmmWhiskey
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends on what I'm cooking. For pork, I like to make this...

a vinegar sauce with cider vinegar, cherry puree, red pepper, and a little sugar. Depending how hot you like it, you can also put a little habanero in it.

For a regular bbq sauce, I usually just make a simple one with ketchup, brown sugar, cola, and some spices...
1/20/10 4:48 PM
TheRealMKL
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of my personal favorite sauces is a good ol whiskey sauce

I use Jack Daniel's Black Label or Bourbon, ketchup, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, malt vinegar, and dark molasses (sometimes I add a bit of pure honey as well)`

Taste the whiskey to make sure it is up to your standards. Pour 1 cup of whiskey into a saucepan and set aside the remaining whiskey. Bring the saucepan to a boil and reduce the liquid to about 2 tablespoons. Don't let the alcohol flame. Taste the unused whiskey to make sure it hasn't gone bad.

Add 1/2 cup of the whiskey and the other ingredients. Simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes and reduce it by about 1/3. Use it immediately or bottle it and keep it in the refrigerator. Drink the remaining whiskey

1/20/10 6:53 PM
samichlaus
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's a mop I like for beef.

1 stick of butter

12 or so garlic cloves minced

1 pound of sliced mushrooms

2 cups ketchup

4 cups strong beef stock- you can just reduce 8 cups store bought to 4 cups

1 cup Worcestershire

1 tablespoon black pepper

salt to taste

melt butter, add garlic and mushrooms saute for a few minutes add everything else, blend together, simmer for about 30 minutes. Strain, use the baste warm.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.