UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> training in Rio

11/27/09 6:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tarado4
485 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

after thinking about it for a long time, I finally came to Rio for a holiday. After a week of beaches and girls I signed up for classes at Carlson Gracie Academy. Ari Galo is the instructor in the morning when I go.

I am 41 - a purple belt - and have done more beer drinking than hard training in the last couple of years,..but if you are a Catholic in Rome,..you need to go to the Vatican. And if you are in Brazil, you need to go to one of the churches of jiu-jitsu.

I doubt I have anything completely original on the subject - but here are a few observations:

1) far more higher belts on the mat at any class. No whitebelts when I was there this morning - and only 1 blue.

2) more emphasis on rolling than demonstrating techniques. In Canada - 3 tech per class is the norm. Here? 3 in a week.

3) less straight ahead power / wrestling-style rolling and more sweeping and flowing between positions

4) very friendly atmosphere. I never felt like anyone was trying to teach the gringo a lesson

5) I come from temperate Canada - and in Rio where it is 30+ celcius by 9am - and no aircon in the academy,..the heat is a factor

6) a tigela grande of acai after rolling is sublime. There are sucos/ juice shops everywhere and $3 - $4 will get you a bowl of the purple stuff

7) the brazilian girls are every bit as sexy as you have heard. As an unmarried guy,..it is heaven here

8) cost me approx $100 CAN for the month training. I guess I could train 6 days a week were I so inclined

9)speaking a little portuguese really helps. Many of the guys in the class speak zero english

10) tshirts and gi's are more expensive to buy here than I thought. My Atama A4 from the factory still cost me $135. Most gi's in the shops I see are closer to $180-$200 CAN
a tshirt at one of the fightwear shops will set you back $30 CAN

my 2 cents
11/29/09 5:36 PM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool!

FYI in the U.S we us fahrenheit and not celsius.
11/29/09 11:40 PM
JuDoK@
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that is because the dickheads that don't exhibit humility are weeded out and get their asses kicked in the gym.
11/30/09 9:08 AM
tarado4
485 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

re: humility

I remarked to one of the brazilian guys that I could pick out many (I am not saying ALL) americans on the beaches who were here to train BJJ due to the mannerisms of being extremely stiff while walking (imaginary lat syndrome), and trying real hard to look hard.

the young brasilian dude says "Oh, that attitude dosn't work in here. they come on the mat with angry face and leave without it and never come back."

One tatt'd - shaved head dude was 'mean mugging' in the churrascurria.

I laughed and pointed him out to my instructor and he shrugs his shoulders 'I think if we train he gonna tap very fast" lol

super chill atmosphere in the club - despite the menacing bulldogs on the walls
11/30/09 10:34 AM
TeamRenzo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

m.g - Cool!

FYI in the U.S we us fahrenheit and not celsius.

FYI, the internet's borders extended beyond the US, for future reference please use google for any type of conversion.

I have heard that cleanliness can be an issue at the clubs in Brazil, any truth to that?
11/30/09 10:53 AM
tarado4

it is true that the clubs here are not as antiseptic as a Bally's

didn't see/ hear of anyone complaining of mat rash

the clubs I have seen are far smaller and simpler than their counterparts in N America. Carlson's change room doubles as the broom closet as well
11/30/09 4:28 PM
BenJay
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Humility is more widespread most anywhere outside the US.

Just a fact and I have lived there, in Europe and in Asia.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.