UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Matt Brown Wants shot at Renzo

11/28/09 9:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mexican jujitsu
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saturday, November 28, 2009 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

Coming off of yet another exciting performance, defeating Ultimate Fighter winner James Wilks, Ultimate Fighter alumnus Matt "The Immortal" Brown is looking to take a little down time for the holidays and then would like to return to fight a legend in his next fight.

The Ohio native and recent transplant to Seattle, Wash., is heading home to spend time with the family first, and then head back to camp for his next fight.

"Ideally the perfect situation for me is I can relax through the holidays and go back and spend time with my family," Brown told MMAWeekly Radio about his upcoming plans.

"When my dad passed away it was right when I started training camp and I left training camp for the funeral and came right back the day after, so I'd like to go and spend the holidays with them and be able to spend some quality time there. So ideally I'd be back in training camp around New Year's."

With fighting always on his mind, Brown was quick to make the call to UFC matchmaker Joe Silva regarding his next fight and if it gets made it could be a monster.

"I actually called Joe Silva today asking for a fight, if I get the fight that I'm asking for it might be before that," Brown commented. "I called and I asked him for Renzo (Gracie) because he's coming and he needs a warm-up fight, so I was like I feel like I'd be a good warm-up fight."

Gracie's entrance to the UFC has been talked about for weeks, and with rumors circling that he could face anyone from Matt Hughes to a stable of tough welterweights, Brown believes that he's the guy for the match-up. He makes it very clear though that he's not calling Gracie out, he's simply putting himself in place to fight a legend.

"I've met Renzo a few times and I think he's one of the greatest guys in the world. I've trained at his gym a bunch of times. I've got absolutely nothing but respect for the guy. I think he's one of the greatest ever, but that's why I want to fight him," said Brown.

"He's a legend and he needs a warm-up fight. I'd love to fight a Matt Hughes (too), but he's not going to fight someone like me right now."

Brown commented that with a stacked welterweight division, any fight he will get would be tough, but he believes Gracie is the perfect fight for him right now.

"I only want it out of respect for Renzo," Brown stated.

Only time will tell if he will get his dream match-up, but Gracie is expected to make his debut with the UFC soon and an opponent can't go unnamed forever.

11/28/09 10:16 AM
mexican jujitsu
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matts JuJitsu is good, but not that good. he'd better keep it standing or he's fucked.
Renzo (Not Ricksin) by armbar. i give full credit to whomever coined that new one.
11/28/09 10:37 AM
Kostakio
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mrmetoo - This fight makes no sense. Renzo should be fighting other legends ie Hughes.

11/28/09 10:59 AM
Twostep
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Matt could actually TKO Renzo. He did really well against another great grappler in Kim. He's also been on a bit of a tear lately, so he has some momentum going into the fight.
11/28/09 11:01 AM
FERA BRABA
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kostakio - 
mrmetoo - This fight makes no sense. Renzo should be fighting other legends ie Hughes.

11/28/09 11:13 AM
pigpen
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yep renzo needs to fight hughes or someone like that

not messing around fighting guys that were on TUF

seriously
11/28/09 11:17 AM
HardHittingHeeb
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's weird that he's been to Renzo's a bunch and wants to use him as a stepping stone.
11/28/09 12:21 PM
KimuraKing

Renzo by neck stomp.
11/28/09 12:35 PM
JDog

Renzo would crush him.
11/28/09 1:00 PM
Morgz
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt Brown is one of those guys who has really grown on me and I have become a fan.  With that said, he is not on the level of Renzo, and would lose this fight. Renzo is a legend.
11/28/09 1:47 PM
ReignMan

This.
11/28/09 1:51 PM
NHB USA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ohferfuxsakes - 
FERA BRABA - 
Kostakio - 

11/28/09 2:16 PM
macdawg

Browns last 2 wins have been brutal KO's, he is a guy on the rise and I don't think we've seen the best of him yet.

I liked the Hughes matchup better for Renzo, plus it would be interesting to see the grappling between Hughes/Renzo.
11/28/09 2:27 PM
Linger Longer

Renzo vs. The Croation II  !!!!
11/28/09 2:42 PM
Morgz
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rock1775 -  dude...Matt`s JJ defense is good enough to hang with Renzo on the ground. 
LOL!

11/28/09 2:47 PM
doerksenfan
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Risky warm-up fight for Renzo IMO. Won't happen.
11/28/09 2:53 PM
Mmanizzle

Gracies don't like when people train at their gyms and then want to fight them... He says there's no disrespect but trust me, all Gracie clans view this as total disrespect... Of course Brown's just trying to make his mark off of a legend... In a way, Gracie might accept the fight to try and beat his ass now...
11/28/09 2:54 PM
HULKSMASH
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JDog - Renzo would crush him.
11/28/09 3:01 PM
Morgz

exactly.  It's going to be just like all the guys who come out of the woodwork to challenge Fedor (although maybe not quite to the same extent).  Anyone who get's their name called for a Renzo fight is going to instantly increase their fame way more than they would with just about any other fight.  Get ready for 70'ers to start coming out of the woodwork to call out Renzo.

No disrespect to Matt, but IMO it needs to be someone who's earned it -- an old timer like Hughes is a perfect choice.  If there is to be some fight before Hughes, then there are many other guys who have put in the mat time to earn a fight like this.  Chris Lytle comes to mind immediately.

11/28/09 3:11 PM
Buckeye's Fan

I think the only chance Renzo has is to catch Matt in a sub, but that's the only way he wins! Matt would win this fight probaly 9 times out of 10. That being said I think Matt Brown is the toughest fighter in the UFC! Before you go crazy, I didnt say best or most talented... I said toughest! Matt Brown is this good becasue mentaly noboy seems to be able to break him. Even the best can be broken mentaly, but Brown is just one of those guys that has it upstairs. The only other person that come to mind that is as tough as Matt is Clay Guida. Matt Brown is a contender because there isn't anyone who steps into the cage that can beat him mentaly... not that I've seen yet!
11/28/09 3:34 PM
iant
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Renzo vs. hughes on TUF is what I want!!!!
11/28/09 3:42 PM
ultimoplata
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...If you read carefully,Matt said Renzo wanted a warm up fight.He's not putting himself up at all,he's saying he thinks he's a warm up for the Hughes fight(in name value).I think this is a pick em fight.Dangerous warm up for Renzo for sure.Makes no sense for the UFC if their intent is for him to headline against Hughes.
11/28/09 3:49 PM
NHB USA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let's see....
Chris Lytle vs Matt Brown.
then...
Renzo Gracie vs Matt Hughes.

(on the same card would be great)

11/28/09 3:55 PM
NoPlacebo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt would destroy him standing.
11/28/09 3:57 PM
Twister Trent
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Renzo will win with ease on the ground, so depending on how good Renzo's takdowns are, or how good Brown's takedown defense is, decides the outcome.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.