UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Recommend knives.

1/8/10 6:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
junon
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

growing dissatisfied with my Wusthof Chef knife day by day.
1/8/10 10:56 AM
crescentwrench
272 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please elaborate.  What size is it and what is it you don't like?  

And droc, don't think of it as losing a knife, think of it as gaining a hole in your knife block!  You can get something you really love now.  
1/8/10 11:01 AM
droc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, that's probably the way forward. I'll have to go out and test drive some knives before buying.

DROC
1/15/10 7:15 AM
junon
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crescentwrench -  Please elaborate.  What size is it and what is it you don't like?  

And droc, don't think of it as losing a knife, think of it as gaining a hole in your knife block!  You can get something you really love now.  

its an 8" Chef Knife.

i dont like the blunt hilt.

most of my cutting happens at the butt end.
1/15/10 9:01 AM
crescentwrench
272 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ah, I see.  Yeah their bolster goes fully on down the knife.  Mine was so much so that if the edge was on a completely flat surface the very back wouldn't even make full contact.  I didn't care a whole lot for that either.  What I did was take a Dremel tool to that part of the bolster and just ground away a little bit of metal to where now there's a little bit of an upsweep to it.  Now I can get full penetration when I slice something because that part stays clear until I'm all the way to the back of the knife.  It's still not the same motion as taking the blade all the way through, I guess I'd say I'm a middle-back cutter, but it fixed it for me anyway.  

What junon's talking about.  Wusthof's classic line all have these to give heft to the knife and change it's center of gravity away from the tip.  

vs another line they have without a bolster, for people who don't like them or don't want to do what I did to mine.  Their Cordon Bleu line.

I happen to like the mass that the bolster gives and feel like I can control the blade better.  But that was also the knife I had when I went from serial killer grip to learning proper knife technique.  I'm sure I would hate it now if I started out with something different.  If you otherwise like how your Wusthof feels you might try out that Cordon Bleu.  Or go shopping for something completely different and ebay your old one.  I'm trying to find a place that can order a line called Ergochef.  I saw the one Guy Fieri uses on his TV show and now I'm obsessed with trying one out.  

Bolster problems and adjustments
http://www.niceandsharp.com/Bolster_Adj/Bolster_Adj.htm 
1/16/10 1:24 AM
junon

oh man i want that Cordon Bleu.
1/16/10 8:07 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love my Henckel Pro S chef knife.
6/9/10 9:38 AM
reelfoot
470 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

go to an online restaurant supply and buy a standard chefs knife and a dremel tool. Buying $100 knives is silly. I have had the same Bagat knife I got from a sharpening service 5 years ago.
6/9/10 9:38 AM
reelfoot
470 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.