UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fedor’s KO Over Rogers Viewed By 25+ Million Homes

11/30/09 10:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
threestars35
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AMSTERDAM, HOLLAND (November 24, 2009) - M-1 Global and Strikeforce announced today that the international audience reports from broadcasters all over the world revealed an unprecedented number of viewers for the November 7th “Fedor vs. Rogers” MMA event from Chicago, Illinois.

“We are extremely happy with the preliminary broadcast reports,” said M-1 Global CEO Joost Raimond. “The demographics of these numbers were very promising as our network broadcasting partners in the U.S., Russia, and Korea reach an enormous audience alone. Coupled with a dozen other countries and our successful internet stream in Japan and other territories, all early accounts and indications tell us that “Fedor vs. Rogers” delivered worldwide more than any other MMA show in the history of the sport,” concluded Raimond.

Scott Coker, founder and owner of Strikeforce and experienced MMA promoter responded “We are thrilled with the tremendous viewership figures that the Fedor vs Rogers event generated overseas. The results clearly demonstrate the appreciation that fans worldwide have for a number of M-1 Global and Strikeforce mixed martial arts superstars including the number one fighter on the planet – Fedor Emelianenko – and his opponent Brett Rogers.”

In total, over 25 million MMA fans all around the world were treated to a vintage performance from the world’s greatest MMA fighter, Fedor Emelianenko. The main event of Fedor vs Rogers reached an impressive 5.46 million viewers in the United States on the CBS Network. The fight was also broadcast in Fedor’s native Russia by “Channel 1,” Russia’s largest television network, and reached 16 million viewers in Fedor’s home country. In addition, “Fedor vs. Rogers” was broadcast to millions of viewers in Korea on SBS, one of the 3 major national South Korean networks, as well as television networks in China, Latin America, United Kingdom, New Zealand, Ukraine, Finland, Africa, Turkey, Israel, Indonesia, Bulgaria, Romania, and Malta. Live internet streams of the “Fedor vs. Rogers” bout generated ground-breaking viewer numbers in Japan and all over the world and these numbers continue to grow through Video on Demand.

‘”CBS was proud to be the U.S. broadcaster in a fight seen by millions domestically and by millions more around the world,” commented CBS Senior Executive Vice President Kelly Kahl. “Strikeforce and M-1 Global put together a great card, showcasing some of the best fighters in the world. Our ad sales for the fight were strong, especially for advertisers that target young men — a group with a growing appetite for MMA.”
11/30/09 10:14 AM
sparkuri

Awesomma
11/30/09 10:18 AM
Deus ex Machida

ttt
11/30/09 10:49 AM
humphrey sphinctermuscle

unfortunately the popular thing to do now is jump on the 'i hate m1' bandwagon because baldfather blames them for him not being able to get Fedor.

Since he is the end all, be all of the entire global MMA world, m1 sucks, has no relevance, is robbing everyone blind and is crippling it's owners.

the whole thing is extreme emo.
11/30/09 10:57 AM
frontrowbrian

I don't know the economics of TV rights but M1 Global have 15 or so stations pay to broadcast the fight. I guess that's more profitable than taking 7-10 million from UFC. Or perhaps simply more profitable for Vadim... not Fedor.
11/30/09 11:17 AM
threestars35

frontrowbrian -  I don't know the economics of TV rights but M1 Global have 15 or so stations pay to broadcast the fight. I guess that's more profitable than taking 7-10 million from UFC. Or perhaps simply more profitable for Vadim... not Fedor.

Fedor is really that dumb to scammed by Vadim? I don't think so, Fedor is too intelligent for that..
11/30/09 12:53 PM
dabigchet

ideepthroatcolt - These numbers are equivalent to Dana White bragging that UFC 100 was downloaded 100 million times off of Bit torrent.
11/30/09 1:22 PM
Mmanizzle

Fedor has extra hype around him because everyone and their mother want him in the UFC, peeps wonder why they can't get him, what's the big deal behind him, they'll tune in, mma is more global than ever, he's probably more well known over seas and of course he's won the hearts of Japanese fans... Not surprising... Good for them!
11/30/09 1:24 PM
threestars35

frontrowbrian - I don't know the economics of TV rights but M1 Global have 15 or so stations pay to broadcast the fight. I guess that's more profitable than taking 7-10 million from UFC. Or perhaps simply more profitable for Vadim... not Fedor.

Fedor is really that dumb to be scammed by Vadim? I don't think so, Fedor is too intelligent for that..
11/30/09 1:41 PM
Streets

ttt
11/30/09 1:42 PM
dabigchet

threestars35 - 
Fedor is really that dumb to be scammed by Vadim? I don't think so, Fedor is too intelligent for that..

lol at this bullshit. as if we have any idea of fedor's business acumen.
11/30/09 1:48 PM
Haulport

ideepthroatcolt - Russian viewers are worthless. They don't pay for broadcast and they have zero purchasing power and zero disposable income.

These numbers are equivalent to Dana White bragging that UFC 100 was downloaded 100 million times off of Bit torrent.
You clearly have no fucking clue my friend........
11/30/09 1:49 PM
orcus

Monsters Ball - That's what M-1 brought to the table.

I wonder if they have the same deal as they did with Affliction, where every cent of the revenue from Russian and Asian broadcasts goes to M1, so Strikeforce does not benefit at all.

"all early accounts and indications tell us that “Fedor vs. Rogers” delivered worldwide more than any other MMA show in the history of the sport,” concluded Raimond."

Krazy Horse got a 27 rating for his fight with Ken Kaneko in Pride. Not sure how many viewers that translates to, but for comparison a 42 rating (Sapp vs Akebono, K-1 rules) translated to 54 million viewers, so it seems likely Krazy Horse got 30 million or more.
11/30/09 2:21 PM
orcus

Zamiel - "UFC does more ratings in the US so that means they're more important." - ideepthroatcolt

Do you think Coker and Showtime/CBS are more concerned with viewers in the U.S., or viewers in Russia?
11/30/09 2:34 PM
dking
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think if it gets Strikeforce/CBS international recognition as the organization bringing the fans these fights so they'll be happy with the international exposure as well as domestic.

This is great for Strikeforce - I'm sure UFC could do better numbers because they are more well known & have a deeper roster, which unfortunately they don't use enough on PPV, to get fans interested.

These #'s really show how popular MMA has become regardless of organization
11/30/09 2:45 PM
Haulport

orcus - 
Monsters Ball - That's what M-1 brought to the table.

I wonder if they have the same deal as they did with Affliction, where every cent of the revenue from Russian and Asian broadcasts goes to M1, so Strikeforce does not benefit at all.

"all early accounts and indications tell us that "Fedor vs. Rogers" delivered worldwide more than any other MMA show in the history of the sport," concluded Raimond."

Krazy Horse got a 27 rating for his fight with Ken Kaneko in Pride. Not sure how many viewers that translates to, but for comparison a 42 rating (Sapp vs Akebono, K-1 rules) translated to 54 million viewers, so it seems likely Krazy Horse got 30 million or more.
No.....the movie star-turned-fighter, Ken Kaneko got that many viewers............
11/30/09 2:49 PM
madmav
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah right... keep drinking that   ..uhhh kvas?!! (weak kool-aid jk)

somehow i doubt 16 million russians got up at 4 in the morning to watch fedor live... but if it was a delayed broadcast... possible.  who knows maybe M-1 played the fedor/rogers fight during the half-time of a major soccer event
11/30/09 2:52 PM
elgringo
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kvas rules!!
11/30/09 2:57 PM
joemama

HAHAHAHA MMA is already going global, embrace it
11/30/09 2:58 PM
joemama

madmav -  yeah right... keep drinking that   ..uhhh kvas?!! (weak kool-aid jk)

somehow i doubt 16 million russians got up at 4 in the morning to watch fedor live... but if it was a delayed broadcast... possible.  who knows maybe M-1 played the fedor/rogers fight during the half-time of a major soccer event

iif you got 4 million then of course it was delayed genius
11/30/09 3:46 PM
orcus

"No.....the movie star-turned-fighter, Ken Kaneko got that many viewers............"

Yeah....my point is this is obviously not the most watched MMA fight in history as he claimed. Didn't Lorenzo claim UFC 100 had 25 million viewers in Mexico alone?
11/30/09 3:51 PM
epwar
563 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, it is in a M-1 press release so it must be true!?!

No one has pointed out that they initially claimed Fedor vs. Rogers got 6 million viewers when they first announced the figure (touting 11 million viewers total with U.S. 5 million). Now they are suddenly claiming 16 million in Russia.
11/30/09 4:31 PM
LibertyForGranted
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Many casual sports fans think of all MMA besides UFC as being the minor leagues. Im sure a large percentage of viewers were not very knowledgeable of the sport but knew that it was something smaller than the UFC.

That being said, If Strikeforce continues to stack 4 cards a year as a starting point, the perception of double A class MMA will go away, and Strikeforce will grow. In this economy, it seems to have the right business model. Take moderate fans and entice them to purchase Showtime, give a few freebies on ABC, and eek out profits while growing the roster. Their biggest competitor puts on more free shows of similar quality (I think less), but charges $50 for many more. It helps the storyline if you see every fight of a fighter. Strikeforce makes that much easier.

Some casual fans will only watch free MMA and Strikeforce is smart for starting this way. They also can build headline fights around their strongest division (HW) and throw in some other talents to continue to sway the perception that Strikeforce has low quality fighters.

I think Strikeforce is here to stay.
11/30/09 4:36 PM
dabigchet

libertyforgranted - a year ago you could have written the exact same post about elitexc.
11/30/09 4:55 PM
orcus

Are you a pathological liar?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.