UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Unbendable arm: what's the deal?

12/1/09 10:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Gimp
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is the biomechanical principle that allow this? Or is it just a parlor trick?

Could it have any practical application in (non-TMA) grappling?
12/2/09 3:20 AM
Skpotamus
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a guy who studied Aikido try the unbendable arm trick while rolling. Didn't work against juji gatame.
12/2/09 12:07 PM
Jake Steinmann
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sityodtong Muay Thai, Trainer
It's just muscle recruitment. Tony Blauer does a similar demonstration as part of his SPEAR system drills.

It has some practical applications for understanding biomechanics and muscle recruitment, but only as part of larger system. It's not useful in of itself, and it certainly won't stop a juji gatame (or any other arm lock, for that matter)
12/2/09 5:12 PM
shen
819 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/02/09 5:12 PM
I use it in grappling in at least one place...

Under Side Control I will use the "unbendable arm" to keep my opponent from following my hips when I try to hip out a little to make space.

This is only for those situations where you have been put in Side Control and one of your arms is trapped down by your waist, between you and your opponent.
12/2/09 6:15 PM
The Gimp
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool cool...

what other TMA shit you pull, mastah shen?
12/2/09 7:21 PM
WidespreadPanic

12/2/09 9:08 PM
shen
819 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/06/09 9:43 PM
The Gimp - cool cool...

what other TMA shit you pull, mastah shen?

Not a joke; I employ the wrist lock technique most people would know as "Sankyo" from Aikido on the regular. I've done it to a number of Purple Belts but no one higher.

If someone takes my back and goes for a choke, under certain positioning circumstances it is very possible.I've gotten it elsewhere too.

I've done it twice to an Aikido instructor who trains at our BJJ school. He confided in me that after a year and a half he still has not pulled off a single wrist lock yet in BJJ. He spent the first few months of BJJ operating under the delusion that he was going to "kotegaesh" everyone. When I came to BJJ from JJJ, I was under the same delusion. lol.

I also once pulled off a "suwari waza" Shiho Nage ("4 corners throw" --from my knees) with my opponent standing. He was a whitebelt but still, it was fun!
12/7/09 10:23 PM
The Gimp

Shen,

What's the deal with the shiho-nage thing where you turn to do shiho and uke turns at the same time and both ppl spin around in place and end up in exactly the same position staring at each other? and aikido suddenly seems like someone's idea of an iinsane joke?
12/8/09 4:57 AM
shen

Edited: 12/08/09 5:06 AM
The Gimp - Shen,

What's the deal with the shiho-nage thing where you turn to do shiho and uke turns at the same time and both ppl spin around in place and end up in exactly the same position staring at each other? and aikido suddenly seems like someone's idea of an iinsane joke?

Lol, well there is a lot of that in Aikido.

Your opponent though is NOT supposed to be able to spin in the time it takes you do do the technique. You are supposed to use your shoulder, elbow and extension of his arm to make sure you have an "advantage" in turning. There has to be tension on his arm and he should be off-balance the whole time.

...Easier said than done though.

I don't think it's a great technique.
12/9/09 11:28 PM
WidespreadPanic

See at 8:15, approx.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.