UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Child training advice

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/4/09 12:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hops01
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a 4 year old boy who I just enrolled in a wrestling class 2x per week. The training class and instruction is good, but I do have some concerns;

I am not interested in trying to mold the next NCAA champ. I am interested in exposing him to a good, tough sport that I wish I had done earlier myself in life. He's a sweet kid, physically rough, but with a kind demeanor. I'm not a shrink, so I have no idea if this is the sport for him or not. He does enjoy the classes, but at this age, he only has one training partner. I can give you a list of reasons here, but my kid is getting has ass kicked about 80% of the time (other kid is older, a little more experience, and, a little pissier).
That is my question; would you continue with your kid, at this age, if this were the case? I'm sure I'm over-thinking this, but he's my boy. On a related note, this is more stressful on dad than I thought it would be. I watch him for an hour, get up from my seat, and consistently see ass-shaped sweat rings from where I'd sat. Awesome.
12/4/09 8:32 PM
ocianain
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd wait til 1st or 2nd grade myself
12/8/09 9:54 PM
cuzz63
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had my son try when he was 4 and again this year since he was 5. We had it better since there were 4 or 5 others but he doesnt have the attention span to work out for an hour yet. Will try again next year. Other biggest problem he has is watches me train in MMA he will go to his back too easy and try to sweep or choke the other kid, it doesnt seem to sink in to his brain that the kids are doing a different form of wrestling..at least he knows not to punch or kick them.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.