UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Ever have one of those days?

12/7/09 11:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Crush Crawfish
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/07/09 11:57 AM

Doing a "simple" 2" lift on my Jeep, just shackles, spacers, and shocks; should've been relatively painless. So we jack it up and get started, and the first bolt breaks. No big deal. It's gonna happen at some point, might as well be now. Then the next bolt breaks. And the next one. Wound up twisting the head off every bolt I touched. (Apparently these shocks haven't been changed in years, if ever)

So then we get the screw extractor. And it breaks. Try to drill it out. The bit breaks. Try a different bit. The motor burns out of the drill. Etc. etc. etc.

Ended up spending 8 hours in the shop just to get to a point that I could put the new shocks on at least so I could drive it to work today. Gonna try the lift again next weekend.

Bonus (when it went from frustrating to FFFFFUUUU): License plate light is burned out. Thought I could at least change that. Nope. Got the wrong bulb at the part store, then the damn lens wouldn't go back on. At that point I just gave up.

Son of a bitch lol
12/7/09 8:01 PM
White347LX
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had the same problem with leaf spring bolts breaking on my YJ. I put RE 4.5" springs on it and had to sawzall all 8 of the bolts to get the stock springs out.
12/13/09 11:36 PM
white belt
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh the joy, wait until you get to drift the spring eye bolts out, start spraying them now.
12/17/09 9:36 AM
CoreNobody
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roads were slick yesterday,went to get on the freeway,spun my 03 F250 around,and slammed the curb.
Bent the shit outta the rim,and majorly fucked the tire.
Now I gotta find another rim,and either get one tire(which I cant find an exact match for) or go ahead and get 4 new ones.

I don't really have the money for this either,but it could've been worse.
12/20/09 7:49 PM
Crush Crawfish

Today went much more smoothly. Some of the bolts were hard as hell to crank out, but at least none of them broke. Had to take the exhaust loose and move it temporarily to make room to work with the passenger side shackle (I was gonna just cut the damn thing off, but I didn't have a metal blade for the saw). Made a big difference in clearance for the bigger tires though.

Here are the old, "small", worn out tires:

The new 10 ply Hankooks with no clearance:

For some reason, the new pics aren't uploading, I'll post them whenever I get them up.
12/20/09 7:59 PM
Crush Crawfish

Okay, got them now.

Before:

After:

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.