UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Question about spaying

12/8/09 1:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
blunt minded
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recently took in a bulldog from a co-worker, who said they dont have time to take care of it anymore. She knew I had a bulldog in the past, so she asked if I wanted another one now. She gave me the dog's papers & medical records. The only problem the dog has had is entropion, which was corrected. She is 2 years old and not spayed. I know you're suppose to spay before the first heat, if you don't intend to breed. Is there any risk in getting her spay now?
12/23/09 10:34 AM
MikeZev
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

there is no real increase in risk to spay her now that was not there before the first heat. spaying before the first heat drastically reduces the occurence of mammary tunors/cancer which are very commonn in intact females.

the older a dog is when she is spayed, the greater chance they develop for spay incontinence which is rare and cured with an inexpensive hormone replacement pill.
9/25/10 5:46 PM
JoeRogansBong
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no risk, just costs more, due to things being fully developed, which = more clamping, gauze, anesthetic, etc. better late than never. sure as shit better than having to go buy diapers for your dog. and you thought getting tampons for the GF or wife from the pharmacy was embarassing, lol!
9/23/11 4:14 PM
Captn Woodys Sistah

definitely better late than never. FYI - female dogs menstrate just like women only I believe it's twice a year. You definitely dont want to deal with that!
9/24/11 3:11 PM
blunt minded
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy shit can't believe this popped up in my subs lol! Yes I got her fixed :) her names jade and the best facking dog ever! Phone Post
10/16/11 3:46 PM
rls99

Good job on the spaying, and best of luck with the dog. The risk of mammary cancer does increase with the # of heat cycles the dog has been through, but even if you never spay, it only increases 4x. Not really that much to worry about. However, the risk of other health disorders (such as osteosarcoma) increases if you spay before the first heat. Once again, not that drastically, but there are risks. The whole "spay at 6 months" is really more of a social policy crammed down veterinarians throats. Too many irresponsible owners out there, so why take the chance of unwanted litters. btw, I am not spaying dog until after her first cycle, something most real breeders recommend.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.