UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Daniel Duby - SBGI

12/8/09 9:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lechernich
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody got Daniel Duby's street savate set from SBGI? The description sounds good but I'm wondering whether they're geared more for experienced standup fighters as opposed to beginners.
12/9/09 4:56 PM
Matt Thornton
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you don't have any boxing base what so ever, then probably not the best set for you. But if you have some boxing based delivery system fundamentals, then it's a lot of fun.

www.straightblastgym.com
12/9/09 6:28 PM
Lechernich

I've got some boxing and muay thai experience but I'm still very much a novice when it comes to standup.
12/9/09 8:25 PM
Matt Thornton
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you are interested in that material (Savate), you will enjoy the DVDs.

www.straightblastgym.com
12/9/09 8:55 PM
Lechernich

Thanks!
12/9/09 11:28 PM
jkd4200

What is Daniel Duby up to these days?

Does he come to the US very often?

And Matt, what makes Duby's savate more street ... is it his time with Vunak?
12/10/09 2:31 PM
Matt Thornton

I don't 'think' Daniels been to the states since the last time we brought him out here. It is a long journey from his island.

As far as what makes it more 'street', no it was not Paul. Daniel came to the USA with an older style. His coach has a room full of boots, and a love of full contact. If you see his DVD set you can see his coach demonstrating a few moves, and working with the cane. It is extremely impressive.

www.straightblastgym.com
12/10/09 4:02 PM
jkd4200

^ Thanks....

I have been wanting to check Duby's DVD's out for awhile.

Any sales coming up :)
12/10/09 4:12 PM
Lechernich

Sounds good to me.

But... A room full of boots? lol
12/12/09 10:26 AM
Boyscout

I had trained a lot in boxing and a little in Savate, about 50 hours of private classes when Matt brought out Daniel’s tapes which are now DVDS. Never got around to buying them and then one of my training partners picked them up from SBG.

I would recommend them for someone who wants to learn how to put the boot in on the street. I have a long Muay thai background and before I met the savate liver kick, I thought that Savate was weak.

I think it’s the way that Daniel explains the boot kicks that finally got the message across to me about what my Savate coach was hinting at. Since viewing the tapes I have had a lot of success with boot kicks. I wear boots or shoes most of the time now.

If you want a good street kicking game the dvd’s are great. Then one of two things will happen, you will either take up the sport or maintain the basic kicks. Savate is a lot of fun and the older styles have a lot to offer for self defence.

I have met someone who had a Savate match with Phillip who if my memory serves me right is Daniel’s coach, he lasted about 30 seconds before Phillip’s boot shut down the whole left side of his body for an hour or so.

I made a mistake for not buying the tapes in the first place.

Regards

Richard
1/5/10 6:16 PM
SidRon
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/06/10 10:28 AM
Game on. I ordered the dvd set as well as a pair of Savate shoes yesterday. I always use a low coup de pied bas to the shin when we kickbox. Of course people think I am retarded when I kick their shin with the sole of my bare foot. I tell them that if I had a boot on it would be the edge of my sole hitting their shin and that it would hurt like holy hell. I first heard about the technique when reading about the sport called "purring" developed by English miners. Later I realized it was also a popular Savate kick.
1/6/10 6:04 AM
BigSifu

Savate is my favorite stand up. Love to hear more about Savate here...

TTT
1/6/10 10:31 AM
SidRon
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here are some links to a Savate website with alot of cool articles about Savate for self defense as well as a link to an article about the sport of Purring "shin kicking".

http://www.savateaustralia.com/

http://ejmas.com/jmanly/articles/2004/jmanlyart_couch_0804.htm
1/6/10 1:38 PM
Kai Tremeche

Oh Purring... What a giant bit of insanity that is.
1/6/10 7:19 PM
SidRon

Kai Tremeche - Oh Purring... What a giant bit of insanity that is.

Agreed, but still very effective for self defense if you wear the right shoes shoes. Purring style kicks are easy to perform, can be done from long range as well as the clinch, are fast and difficult to counter compared to many of the standard kicks, and are incredibly damaging.
1/6/10 8:48 PM
Kai Tremeche

Sid: The fact that people would blast each other full in the shins, taking turns is recrackulous.
1/6/10 9:24 PM
SidRon

Kai Tremeche - Sid: The fact that people would blast each other full in the shins, taking turns is recrackulous.

The purring matches I am referring to were not turn for turn shin kicking. The combatants would try to kick without being kicked. This is not any less civilized than modern boxers bashing each others heads into brain damage.
1/7/10 7:56 AM
Kai Tremeche

Sid: I heard that Purring was turn for turn, or evolved from that. I may have heard wrong though.

Weren't they wearing boots as well.
1/7/10 10:32 AM
SidRon

Edited: 01/07/10 10:32 AM
Kai Tremeche - Sid: I heard that Purring was turn for turn, or evolved from that. I may have heard wrong though.

Weren't they wearing boots as well.

Not saying that it didn't happen but the matches that I read about and am interested in were not turn for turn, they were just like any other pugilistic sport where the goal was to strike without getting striked. I agree that turn for turn shin kicking or punching or anything is kind of stupid. I would not even consider turn for turn matches to be a combat sport since it is more like a test of endurance/stupidity.

Some matches involved jackets that you could grab onto and others did not. In jacketed matches you could throw your opponent down. Kind of like Judo except you could hack away at each other's legs with boots. Imagine alot of the Judo foot sweeps with a hardened boot to help them along, ouch!

The use of boots is one of the defining features of Purring. Participants would even bake the rubber of the boots and insert metal shanks to make them more hard and stiff and damaging.
1/7/10 11:29 AM
Lechernich

SidRon - Game on. I ordered the dvd set as well as a pair of Savate shoes yesterday.

I expect a full review asap!
1/7/10 11:47 AM
SidRon

Edited: 01/07/10 11:47 AM
Lechernich - 
SidRon - Game on. I ordered the dvd set as well as a pair of Savate shoes yesterday.

I expect a full review asap!

Will do, In the mean time I would suggest that you check out DEFENSE DANS LA RUE VOLUME -1 , Savate Street Kicking. It is offered under the products tab at http://www.savateaustralia.com I have it and like it very much. The DVD focuses on the Savate kicking techniques that are most effective for self defense applications.
1/7/10 11:49 AM
Lechernich

I've seen the street kicking trailer on youtube. Looks like good stuff.
1/7/10 12:02 PM
SidRon

Lechernich - I've seen the street kicking trailer on youtube. Looks like good stuff.

It is, the hard part will be finding a training partner that is willing to spar with shoes on and allow groin shots. Most people nowadays are interested in MMA style sparring and label you as a nutcase if you want to spar in streetclothes with shoes and allow groin shots and shirt grabbing and choking. Luckily, I have found a few people that are willing to try new things and train self defense style tactics in a alive resisting kind of way. If you can't find training partners to do this then what you have is a non alive RBSD kind of thing where the ideas and techniques might be good but the timing and ability to apply them is never developed.
1/11/10 2:53 PM
Lechernich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBX8VcYl0bQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrSnYUw7VTM

This is good stuff.
1/16/10 10:38 PM
SidRon

Edited: 01/16/10 11:04 PM
Edited-Double Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.