UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Daniel Duby - SBGI

1/16/10 11:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SidRon
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recieved the Daniel Duby DVD's and did a quick viewing of them all to get an idea of what is on them.

As Matt Thornton said this set is best if you already have a striking delivery system. Little to no time is spent on the delivery system fundamentals such as stance, movement, and guard. The DVD is a collection of various techniques fromDaniel Duby's personal blend of Savate and JKD.

I purchased the DVD's to learn about Savate kicks for self defense. With that in mind I felt that the Defense Dan La Rue Savate Street Kicking (DDLR) dvd from Savate Australia offered a better more concise take on the subject then the Duby set. DDLR was also less than half the price of the Duby set. So if you are interested in Savate kicks for self defense and only want to buy one DVD I recommend buying Defense Dan La Rue Savate Street Kicking. If you are really into Savate street kicking then you will probably buy both DDLR and the Duby set.

I should mention that the DDLR set does not cover delivery system fundamentals either. It simply presents and explains the Savate kicks most useful for self defense. So you will have to have a developed delivery system to effectively employ them.

In my opinion the delivery system (stance, footwork, guard) is like the airplane and the strikes (kicks, punches, elbows, knees) are like the weapons on the airplane. The greatest aircraft weapon will be of little use when you put it on a hangglider instead of an F-18.
1/17/10 6:06 AM
BigSifu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SidRon - 
In my opinion the delivery system (stance, footwork, guard) is like the airplane and the strikes (kicks, punches, elbows, knees) are like the weapons on the airplane. The greatest aircraft weapon will be of little use when you put it on a hangglider instead of an F-18.

That statement is overflowing with truth!
Well Put!
1/17/10 9:01 AM
twinkletoesCT
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
BigSifu - 
SidRon - 

That statement is overflowing with truth!
Well Put!

Agreed. Good analogy.
1/18/10 10:32 AM
SidRon
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I posted this on the leg kicking thread. I thought some of you on this thread might like it. If not, sorry for the FRAT.

"When the person is advancing toward me and placing their weight on their lead foot I kick low and aim for their shin. If I am advancing for example after throwing a lead hand. Often times to avoid getting hit with the lead hand the opponent will lean their upper body back without moving their lead foot back. When they do this it straightens their lead leg out. In this circumstance I prefer to raise my kick a little higher and come down on their knee. (when sparring I hit them mid thigh without putting my weight down into the kick).

To get the feel for it. Have a partner stand in front of you and then have them take a step forward as if to deliver a punch. As they do this lean back and drive the inside edge of your rear boot into their shin (protected with shinguards).

For the second version you step forward and throw a lead hand. Instruct your partner to keep his feet in the same place but to lean back to avoid the punch. After missing the punch bring your rear leg forward and lightly place your foot on his quadricep above his knee (in actuality you would be stomping all of your weight into his knee with the bottom of your boot).

Note on the above technique. When your opponent leans back without adjusting his feet beneath him he is committing a technical error which enables you capitalize on by coming down on the knee. If your opponent reacts properly to your lead hand by moving his head and his feet backward so that he maintains his proper stance then I prefer to follow up with the first version of the kick.

For a third version, from the clinch, step your right foot back and pull your opponents left side towards you. He will compensate by stepping his left leg forward and putting weight on it. When he does this drive the inside edge of your right boot into his shin.

As far as using the skinning motion after the kick, it is generally only practical when you are clinched with your opponent. Even in the clinch I prefer not to do the scraping motion because in the time it takes ot do that I can reset and do another shin kick which is much more damaging than the scraping.

These are the main variations that I do of the Coup de Pied Bas, my favorite kick. "

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.