UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Writing a Screenplay?

12/10/09 2:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Ray
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who here has experience of writing a screenplay?

Please share your thoughts if you have.

Thanks.
12/16/09 1:10 PM
pharochuck
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i wrote one and just finished shooting it. urban drama. actually sitting down and writing out my idea was painful
12/17/09 11:32 AM
Joe Ray
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what was it about?

How did you manage to get it shot?
12/17/09 2:20 PM
pharochuck
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

about a guy basically drifting through life. small time hustler who meets an unusual preacher and has a life changing experience. but everyone in his life at the moment is opposed to him changing. i hustled up every dime i had. i got brian hooks, from the sitcom eve and a lot of urban dramas. and one of the girls who was on real chance of love. that was the extent of the netwroking i was able to do. leaped in and put together a crew and made it happen. editing right now
6/13/10 2:37 PM
masato1
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My first one I was SO passionate about, but had to learn screenwriting as I went.

Read tons of books about it (McKee is my favorite) as I was writing, but I learned things the hard way;  I just sort of started writing blindly, just letting scenes out that came to my mind and writing purely from the heart/inspiration.  And although I had many great scenes...  as a whole thing it was a complete mess.  I had to do nearly 10 complete re-writes to get it working.  Was a real tough learning process but I feel finally not only do I have it tightly oiled and solid, but a way better internal understanding of the writing/structure process.

I am nearly done the first draft of my second screenplay and it is humming like a new car - I didn't write a single word until I had it cooking in my head and in notes for about 3 years.  When I started to actually write I had it all properly mapped out, and so far it has been super smooth and really strong. 

I am a big believer now of not writing a single thing until you know exactly what you are doing, and have all the structure/plotpoints/subplots and loose ends all under control.  
6/14/10 1:31 AM
pharochuck

i went to ten minute film school and got the program practical scriptwriter and worked night and day on an urban drama called townbiz, see it at townbiz the movie.com for free in exchange for tips on how to make my own feature
7/17/10 3:56 PM
Astroninja
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've written a few, along with spec pilots, and whatnot.  never got one actually produced but I've shot a bunch of shorts.
11/29/10 4:17 PM
mige
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

start with a treatment. Don't write dialogue until you know what is happening in your story. Know your timeline, major events, and ending.

I learned this as I went.
12/26/10 2:45 PM
Teufel_Hunden
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

subbed
7/11/13 12:58 PM
CaughtItFromARua
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone still paying attention to this thread? 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.