UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Paella?

12/14/09 1:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm making paella on Wednesday for some guests.

I've never eaten paella. I've never even seen paella. It took me 40 spelling guesses to find some recipes via Google.

I did find the recipes. I've been studying them. I'm confident I'll come up with something tasty, but I'd love some insight here.

Ummmmmm...

dicuss?
12/15/09 9:18 AM
crescentwrench
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any time I see chefs make it on TV competitions the complaint I always hear is that it doesn't have that bottom crust of toasted rice.  "This is more like a generic fish stew than a paella," they say.  

That's all I got.  Fish stew sounds pretty tasty to me but I guess that's not paella.
12/15/09 7:05 PM
goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

too many ingredients!
12/15/09 11:14 PM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My research has led me to a few different looks. Sometimes it looks brothy, other times it looks like jambalaya.
12/16/09 8:22 AM
crescentwrench
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would prefer the jambalaya but that's probably a judgement call thing.  Brothy will stretch the ingredients more.  
12/17/09 8:30 PM
Mullet @ Heart

Good stuff!

12/17/09 8:49 PM
Mullet @ Heart

My recipe.
12/17/09 10:59 PM
crescentwrench

That looks like my kind of paella.  

12/19/09 8:54 PM
hackett
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paella can be made a million different ways, I'd think about best possible ingredients and build from there.

I heard once it's one of the original guy foods. The name supposedly is from "para ella" -- for her. Dude gathers whatever proteins he can, throws it in a pan with some rice, and... I don't know, gets lucky.

But it's kind of a trial and error thing. I spent a few months in Spain and had more than one. I can tell you that a few threads of real saffron will help. If you crank the heat at the end you'll get that toasty taste that crescent describes -- but be careful.

TH
12/20/09 3:00 PM
manny99
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

During the final 3 days of my trip to Spain I stayed with a Spanish family. Naturally, one of the nights we all gathered and had paella. The recipe you linked above looks pretty good, though I don't remember peas being involved as heavily. They also made it in this enormous caldron suspended over an open flame. It was a pretty cool sight. Good luck and post pics if possible.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.