UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> New '86 K5 Blazer

12/14/09 3:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
frankenchrist
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I just purchased this 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer. Looking for some guidance on what should/needs to be done to it before I start driving it on a regular basis.

Here is what I was told about it by the guy I purchased it from...

Original engine was a 305, but was swapped out with a 350 Chevy small block engine with about 40,000 miles since the rebuild.

Has been pretty much sitting for 2 years. Taken around the block every month or so, just to make sure it was still running.

Over/under lift.

Holley carb, unknown size, but he called it a "high performance carb" and the truck idles a bit rough because of it.

New alternator/battery.

Odometer reads 75,xxx, but who knows how many times it rolled over.

Here is what I have done to it since purchasing it last weekend...

Oil/filter change.

New plugs and wires.

Adjusted the idle.

Cleaned the carb.

Added coolant and transmission fluid (both were near empty.)

Fixed headlights (adjusted), and blinkers (flasher box.)

T-case and differential fluids look fine, did not swap them out.

And here is what I plan to do shortly...

Take the fucker to Jiffy Lube for the radiator and transmission service. I like the idea of them pushing out all of the old fluids while replacing it with new stuff.

The transmission shifts good. However, there is a bit of a THUD when shifting into drive from neutral (could be because of adjusted idle?) Also, there is a small hitch when shifting into second.

So what's up OG gearheads, what else needs to be checked/swapped out on a truck this old, that's been sitting for a while.
12/14/09 4:22 PM
mad tiger
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

new shocks some 6" springs and some 35" mickeys and you'll be aiiiright.
12/19/09 6:27 PM
white belt
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If by over under lift you mean he did a spring over, as in moved the axles to under the springs, I would make sure he did the right thing with the steering linkage. Nothing worse than hillbilly welded steering. Not that I know anything about K5's but I have seen hillbilly steering. Also make sure you have slack in your brake lines when flexed out, make sure your shocks aren't limiting you and finally are there bumpstops to prevent reverse arch?

www.pirate4x4.com
12/21/09 1:29 PM
nimitivd
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

coloradok5.com for k5's.
1/19/10 7:16 PM
redwhiteandblues
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

post some pics of your ride man! my parents had a blazer k5 when i was a kid.
1/22/10 5:20 PM
Shaper108
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nimitivd - coloradok5.com for k5's.

Cant go wrong with that forum.

I have had 3 different K5's in my life. I think I regret getting rid of each of them.

Do a LCG build. (4 inches lift or under)

Swap out the 10 bolt for a 14 bolt rear.

Dana 60 front when you can afford it.

Cut the fenders(if you dont care about that sort of thing) and stuff some 35's or bigger under it.

Then you will be all set.
5/20/10 7:14 PM
White347LX

Get rid of those shitty GM half ton axles and put some nice one ton parts under it! Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear, no can defend.
6/23/10 1:22 AM
White347LX

It just depends on how big of a tire you want to turn and if you're actually going to wheel it or just build a pavement pounder.

That half ton stuff is going to break everytime you even look at the gas pedal with anything over a 35" tire. Even a 35" will kill them if you apply power with the wheels turned much at all. It's not just the axles you have to worry about but the U joints in the front end which will pop and that will break the ears off ruining the axles, too. Even the best forged axles will still spread apart and allow the u joint to pop out. I fought all this on my 79 Bronco before. It's a expensive lesson to learn.
8/1/10 12:30 PM
TheeSenator
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4 link the rear and 3 link the front, like what everybody else said with regards to the 14 bolt/Dana 60.

do a 205/203 doubler and you'll have a BAD MOTHERFUCKER on your hands!

pirate4x4 is great as is ColoradoK5 . . . .

good luck!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.