UnderGround Forums

RugbyGround >> Bakkies Botha

12/14/09 11:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HoldYerGround
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As I am a lock, my coach suggested that I try to emulate, specifically, Bakkies Botha's style of play.

Can you guys fill me in on what exactly that includes?

Every video I find on this guy is "Bakkies punches innocent rugger in the face" ect. Not too much on his actual play.
2/9/10 4:17 AM
LordSeano
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah - so many players to emulate that are better than Bakkies.

Even his so called 'hardman' reputation is overrated seeing as he got bossed around by BOD on the lions tour.

If you want a hardman (*thug) lock to emulate who was actually a good player as well then you should look at footage of Martin Johnson - Lions, England (and very nearly All Black) legend.
4/6/11 2:23 PM
CauliflowerCouture
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends on who the other lock is IMO.

Personally I think Victor Matfield is the prototype modern lock. Fast, athletic, intelligent and has great positional awareness.

Bakkie is an enforcer and plays physical rugby but he needs a partner like Matfield to get the kudos he has earned.

If you two physical players at lock you lose the link between the tight five and backrow.

I also think Bakkies bad rep is blown out of proportion. He gets called up for it all the time but when you hear interviews with other players (his peers) they talk about what a fair player he is.

Same with Schalk Burger. Hated by the press and fans, respected by other players
4/7/11 11:37 AM
LordSeano
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Burger is a dirty fucker and way worse than Botha
4/11/11 11:37 PM
Steel Bayou
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Courtney Lawes, Richie Gray, and Brad Thorn are the form locks to be watching right now. Be a tough hard ass on the field, but do the set pieces right and hit a lot of rucks hard; don't get sucked into the off the ball stuff too much
11/13/11 2:49 PM
MMA Girls
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joanne
CauliflowerCouture - Depends on who the other lock is IMO.

Personally I think Victor Matfield is the prototype modern lock. Fast, athletic, intelligent and has great positional awareness.

Bakkie is an enforcer and plays physical rugby but he needs a partner like Matfield to get the kudos he has earned.

If you two physical players at lock you lose the link between the tight five and backrow.

I also think Bakkies bad rep is blown out of proportion. He gets called up for it all the time but when you hear interviews with other players (his peers) they talk about what a fair player he is.

Same with Schalk Burger. Hated by the press and fans, respected by other players

Victor is such a phenomenal player

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.