UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> what's your big holiday dish?

12/16/09 1:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'm hosting the family holiday party again this year and i'm gonna be in charge of one main dish and one other thing.   what are some ideas you can share?  i've made leg of lamb and pork loin type roast in the past.  all had pretty good feedback.. (of course though, they're family and are always nice)
12/16/09 8:07 PM
CR1chard
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always do a bone-in prime rib for Christmas, and I serve it with au jus and a badass homemade horseradish sauce. I eyeball the horseradish sauce ingredients, but it contains: mayo, sour cream, whole grain mustard, horseradish, chive and a little parsley. 

If you're too cheap or nervous to attempt a prime rib, you can always go for a nice ham. I always get whole hams, never spiral-sliced. They take longer to cook, and are harder to carve, but they provide better meat in my opinion. I make a glaze of brown sugar, maple sugar, crushed pineapple, pineapple juice, spicy brown mustard, and a little cider vinegar.
12/19/09 8:05 PM
BettyHumpter
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would say do a boneless prime rib and possibly rotisserie it if you have the means.  I would even suggest to dry age it in your fridge for the next 5 or 6 days.  Bone-in prime ribs don't seem to cook as good.  You can get a great medium rare all the way through with a boneless rib but with bone-in you get medium at the edge and ultra rare near the bone.
12/31/09 11:27 AM
crescentwrench
293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Apparently turkey and dressing.  Because I did it four times this year.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.