UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Quick, easy cold-weather food?

12/18/09 3:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
droc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/18/09 3:49 AM

So, the cold weather has officially hit France, it's snowing fucking everywhere. So I'm looking for some ideas for nutritious recipes that are good for cold weather.

I make simple roasts, usually chicken and lamb occasionally beef, regularly with plenty of roast potatoes and veg. 

We bought a cheap grill, pierrade and raclette device at the weekend and we're gonna be doing a raclette this weekend.

When changing rooms around I found that my missus had a fondu table top heater thing (I have no idea what to call this thing) packed away in a closet. So we'll be doing fondu savoyarde soon and maybe a fondu  bourguignon too.

What are some other good cold-weather foods that I'm not going to have to spend hours making?

EDIT: I also make soups a couple of times a week. Made carrot and leek the other day, tomato and basil last week, Potato or Potato and Leek are on the list too. Feel free to make soup suggestions.

I made an Irish stew a few weeks ago and will probably make another one soon, I also make a rich beef stew regularly. I got the missus to cook last week and she made a beef bourguignon, it was OK, I was thinking of making a steak and onion pie.

Thanks

DROC
1/7/10 8:26 AM
droc

Sounds good, I'll give it a go once I figure out the French for Cube Steak
1/7/10 11:43 AM
crescentwrench
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chile con Carne!  That's my go to cold weather food.  Really I can eat it in cold, hot, wet, dry, or no weather.  It actually does take hours but most of it is simmering on a stovetop or, how I do it, in an oven.  There should be some sort of chili powder (I, not E) that you can get if you don't want to create your own.  That's about the easiest way.  All you need is a cubed up cheap cut of meat (tri-tip, chuck etc) some spices, some liquid, maybe a little canned tomato, and some heat.  Okay you use a little flour to thicken and some vegetables if you want.  And beans if you aren't planning on feeding any Texans.  

I'll do soups but I rarely know what I'm doing.  It's 20 here (-7 to you Celciites) and I'm probably just going to make a run to the store and see what's on sale.  I will take a squash, butternut or acorn or something, and just split them and gut them.  Then I'll put some garlic and shallot and sometimes things like an apple in the holes and just roast it all until it's done.  Then I'll scoop all the flesh into a pot, throw in a little broth and blend it all up.  I don't have a recipe, I just go with what's around.  I made a carrot and ginger soup when my wife had morning sickness and I really liked that.  It was just carrots, a little ginger, and onion simmered together.  

If you were caucasian growing up in America then your standard cold weather quick meal would consist of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich.  I still eat this on occasion and I still feel like I'm 9 when I do it.  
1/7/10 12:59 PM
droc

Bobby, that sounds like a tasty stew, more variety of vegetables from what I normally do (turnip and mushrooms). I'll give it a go this weekend maybe.

CW, I make chile con carne from time to time, I stick vaguely to Alpo's recipe on the ribs and chile thread that's around here somewhere. I wanted to make something with beef mince last night and found a taco kit (taco shells, chili (i not e) powder and some mild sauce and started doing that. It eventually turned into a very mild chile con carne of sorts, tasty enough but I prefer to make it myself.

I'm pretty much the same with soups, whatever veg is around will go in there. Potato and carrot was the most recent, it was very bland (not enough carrots) so I added some Coriander, it wasn't bad. I usually use chicken stock, but I made a leg of lamb last weekend and made stock out of the bone and the leftovers. Changes the taste of the soup a little. Whenever I make tomato soup, I always add a fuckload of basil, Tomatoes and basil just go so well together. I think I've got about a half dozen servigs of it in the freezer actually.

Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming...

DROC
1/8/10 5:37 PM
Mit
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm voting chili...I make so much of that stuff in the winter.
1/8/10 6:22 PM
Mit
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy shit...Loopz is busting out some nice shit...I gotta print this off.
1/8/10 6:33 PM
droc

Can I replace the Italian sausage with a non-pork product of any kind? The wife doesn't eat pig.

DROC
1/8/10 8:13 PM
droc

OK, thanks
1/10/10 9:44 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That lentil soup sounds good Bobby.
1/12/10 12:08 AM
Breezah
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ramen noodles imo
1/14/10 1:03 AM
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i made an awesome beans and sausage stew a couple weeks ago, but i cannot recommend it.  the stuff was fart fuel
1/14/10 11:59 AM
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/15/10 8:15 AM
Made Alton Brown's garden veggie soup last night, but put chicken in it, and omitted the tomatoes. Made the stock from scratch with bone-in chicken breasts and the cobs from the the corn. It was tasty as hell, but next time I might swap the potatoes for some rice or pasta of some sort

1/17/10 2:38 PM
droc

Just finished the Winter Lentil Soup, used merguez instead of Italian sausage (no pork). It was nice, but a little bland (no doubt because of the merguez). I think it would be better with a bit of mustard added to it. I'll try that next time.

Thanks Bobby

DROC
1/18/10 3:59 AM
droc

OK thanks, I'll try that

DROC
1/18/10 5:43 PM
shootfightermike
702 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

egg noodles loop?
1/19/10 5:47 AM
droc

I ate it again yesterday, the same batch, it was better the next day just like Chili, bolognese and stew.

DROC
1/20/10 7:17 PM
samichlaus
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/20/10 11:55 PM
Not really a main dish, but I love fried cabbage.

* about 8 slices of thick bacon

* salt, to taste

* 1 black pepper to taste

* 1 head cabbage, cored and sliced

* 1 white onion, chopped

* maybe 4 cloves diced

Fry the bacon until crisp, remove from pan, use some of the grease to cook the vegetables. Add cabbage, onion, and garlic cook until tender. Crumble the crispy bacon on top.

yum

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.