UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Explosive or Methodical Game

12/19/09 1:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BJJStudent
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just wondering which game you guys like to employ and under what circumstances? Thx.
12/19/09 8:06 PM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best all mix both. Either/or scenarios are largely fallacious.
12/20/09 8:05 AM
Normal MT
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Youth can mostly afford Expediance, while the Elders would prefer a Planned Method.
12/20/09 1:30 PM
WidespreadPanic

Well, there the 'Wrong Forum, a-hole', game.

But seriously, there are many, many games. Erik Paulson talks about 8 games:
Egoless
Defensive
Attacking
Crushing
Floating
Isolating
Positional
Breaking

It can refer to your top game, the game you put on yourself or on your opponent. It's something you need to construct yourself once you get the idea.

12/20/09 9:25 PM
twinkletoesCT
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
Ground game:

I wouldn't say my game has much explosiveness at all.

When I'm playing seriously (i.e. against someone close to or not far below my own level), I play well-positioned, plus pressure.

When I'm playing just to play, often against my juniors, I play well-positioned, NO pressure. I do this to constantly test and refine my positioning. (Occasionally I "float", but I usually try not to.)

And both are definitely methodical, algorithmic approaches.

Are we talking about other ranges too? Or was that the whole question?
12/20/09 9:47 PM
BJJStudent

Thanks for the answers. I was thinking in terms of BJJ (as I think MT and Wrestling are more explosive arts and faster paced). I rolled with my BJJ instructor, and his game had been more methodical in the past when he rolled with me. however, it's recently been much quicker and faster, and that prompted the question.

John,

When I rolled with you here in BK a few years ago, I really enjoyed it. At least with me your game was quite methodical and it was very fun. I had been working towards devloping that type of slow controlling game all the time.
12/21/09 1:34 AM
nowaydo
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think often "slow and controlled" comes with an elevation in skill or wrestling someone with less skill.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.