UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Mind Bender Books...tell me them...

12/20/09 12:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NbleSavage
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got a week off work between Christmas and New Years.

I want to get caught-up on some reading.

I enjoy books in the drama / thriller / even horror genres that play with your brain, have interesting twists and break new ground in their approach.

Tell me them, oh great and wise OG...tell me your mind bending books....
1/14/10 9:41 AM
judobjjpgh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack and Mr. Grin

The Beard

Both by Andersen Prunty

(Surreal Horror.)
4/24/10 1:28 AM
phauna

A sci-fi one would be Accelerando by Charles Stross, it contains many stories about the far distant future which will totally confuse yet interest you.
9/11/10 8:45 PM
NbleSavage
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
9/12/10 11:22 AM
NbleSavage

MOAR.
9/12/10 5:28 PM
NbleSavage

I will add Craig Clevenger's "The Contortionist's Handbook" as well as "Dermaphoria".

Dude can flat-out write.
9/19/10 2:53 PM
NbleSavage

Fawking read, you bastids.

Cormac McCarthy: "Outer Dark". Short read, strong ending, mucho symbolism and a distinctly apocalyptic feel.
12/5/10 10:49 PM
BJJ Skills Kills

The End of Alice is about a pedophile murderer on death row exchanging letters and near the end starts breaking the 4th wall and puts you in his mind identifying with him. It tripped me out.
12/11/10 2:06 PM
MikeD

Rant by Palahnuik was the most confusing mind-bender I've read. I read it two years ago and still haven't decided it was the most brilliants thing I've read or was ridicuously silly. I'm leaning towards the former. Regardless of the ultimate verdict (I'll likely read it again), it was one of the more original works I've read.
12/19/10 6:08 PM
NbleSavage

ttt
12/30/10 4:19 AM
Dan O'Connell
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/21/11 7:38 PM
NbleSavage

Dan Simmons' "Drood" - lengthy story about Charles Dickens and his obsession / collusion with a mythical Egyptian zombie / murderer type.

Great book, worth the 800 pages.
1/24/11 3:24 AM
jittaz

ttt
2/5/11 10:47 AM
NbleSavage

Finished "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler" (Italo Calvino)

Decidedly "Meh" for me.

Yes, it breaks the 4th wall, and yes it's definitely a "concept book" & an early one at that - as such it deserves credit for being creative for it's time.

All that said, to me it was rather boring. The novelty wore off quickly, and I found myself thinking "It's like the book version of 'Seinfeld' - it's a book about nothing...".

2.5 stars, all for originality at the time of writing.
2/13/11 3:24 PM
jefft73
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did you read Kiss Me Judas by Will Christopher Baer? I forgot if we discussed that one or not. House of Leaves is kind of the ultimate mind bender that I've read so far. I still am not sure if I liked it or not.
2/26/11 8:29 PM
NbleSavage

jefft73 - Did you read Kiss Me Judas by Will Christopher Baer? I forgot if we discussed that one or not. House of Leaves is kind of the ultimate mind bender that I've read so far. I still am not sure if I liked it or not.

I liked 'Judas' from WCB. I've not yet read 'Hells Half-Acre' or 'Penny Dreadful' though. I need to snag those next.

'House of Leaves' left me cold. I simply felt it was self-indulgent and not worthy of all the praise being heaped upon it.
2/28/11 2:19 AM
jefft73
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah - I kind of thought the same thing. I wanted to read it just because I thought I should. Sort of like Infinite Jest...man I hated that book but made myself finish it.

How about Raw Shark Texts? That was a little self indulgent in parts too but still really entertaining and for sure fits the category of mind bending.
3/13/11 9:34 PM
wrongaboutVitali
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi NbleSavage,

They're not books, but I have a couple of mind-bending short stories that are in the thriller/horror genre.

They are for the Kindle (if you don't have Kindle, you can download a free app to your PC or any handheld device) and they're only $0.99 (or 70p) a piece.

Just go to the Kindle or Book section and type in Jeff Menapace. You should find my author page and all three stories. I recommend "Jeremy's Loss" and "Sugar Daddy" for a good mind bend :-)

Thanks

Jeff
3/17/11 6:14 PM
TheGARV
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAHQ, Click for Sale Price
NbleSavage - I will add Craig Clevenger's "The Contortionist's Handbook" as well as "Dermaphoria".

Dude can flat-out write.

I just got done with the Contortionists Handbook. At first I did bored, I did impatient.  But then it grew on me and I did like and enjoy
3/19/11 8:36 AM
NbleSavage

TheGARV - 
NbleSavage - I will add Craig Clevenger's "The Contortionist's Handbook" as well as "Dermaphoria".

Dude can flat-out write.

I just got done with the Contortionists Handbook. At first I did <i>bored</i>, I did <i>impatient.</i>  But then it grew on me and I did <i>like </i>and <i>enjoy</i>. 

X2 for the excellent thematic quote :) Glad you ended-up doing like and enjoy. His next book ALLEGEDLY should break sometime in 2011. The progression from CHB to Derma was what impressed me the most. You can really see his maturation from raw talent to polished pro.

Peace!

- Savage
3/19/11 8:38 AM
NbleSavage

wrongaboutVitali - Hi NbleSavage,

They're not books, but I have a couple of mind-bending short stories that are in the thriller/horror genre.

They are for the Kindle (if you don't have Kindle, you can download a free app to your PC or any handheld device) and they're only $0.99 (or 70p) a piece.

Just go to the Kindle or Book section and type in Jeff Menapace. You should find my author page and all three stories. I recommend "Jeremy's Loss" and "Sugar Daddy" for a good mind bend :-)

Thanks

Jeff

I'm in, Brother. It's good timing for me as I've just finished "If on a Winter Night a Traveler" which candidly left me cold. I'm in need of some new Kindle luvin'...I will def check out an OG Brutha's material.

Peace.

- Savage
3/20/11 1:52 PM
wrongaboutVitali
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks, Savage. Hope you enjoy!

All the best

Jeff
3/28/11 8:23 AM
wrongaboutVitali

Just an FYI. My novelette "Sugar Daddy" just received a 5 star review on Red Adept Reviews. Check it out! :)

http://redadeptreviews.com/?p=4747#more-4747
4/15/11 6:37 PM
wrongaboutVitali

ttt
5/6/11 7:50 PM
NbleSavage

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.