UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Jerk Seasoning (Paste)

12/20/09 5:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
khd29
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone make their own jerk seasoning? I tried a couple of bottled seasonings (La Fe, Busha Browne) and I was told to get Walkerswood. Making it doesn't seem difficult, though. Very few ingredients but so much flavor. Would like to know more how the spices affect the taste: allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon... some recipes I read use cloves but I thought the allspice already has a clove taste to it (among other spices). Some use brownsugar
but is it necessary?
12/21/09 9:37 AM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The allspice is necessary it really forms the base note of a lot of seasoning blends. Judging from the way my uncle cooks all of those could be found in spice blends that he uses but allspice (pimento) tends to be one of the base flavors that everything else is balanced around.
12/30/09 10:55 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I make jerk every few days, but it doesn't taste that good. 
1/1/10 3:27 PM
Extendo
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every Jamaican I have ever met uses Walkerswood as well. That's what I stick to but would like to try making my own.
1/1/10 5:54 PM
khd29
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just made jerk pork and chicken with Walkerswood and it is way better than the other 2 I tried. My brother tried Grace and he said it was pretty good.

I read an article 2 weeks ago, which wasvwritten January 2009, that Walkerswood closed down and a company was trying to take over. Couldn't find follow up articles though.

Shibby, thanks for the tip on the allspice. From what I read, the 3 main/key ingredients in making jerk is allspice, thyme and habanero. The other ingredients added will be up to the taste of the maker. Gonna try making my own when I'm done with the bottled ones I currently have.
1/1/10 9:42 PM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lots of garlic and some ginger too khd.
1/3/10 9:44 PM
HoldYerGround
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have made jerk chicken many times and by far the best paste I made has been based off of Nigel Spence's recipe. The only change I would suggest is 1/4 less salt.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.