UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Evolution salaries: Cung Le 150K, King Mo fined

12/21/09 2:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Winston Wolf
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thompson and Melendez were both slipping from the drink Mo was spitting all over the cage
12/21/09 2:12 PM
GMan99
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice payday for Mike Whitehead.
12/21/09 2:18 PM
B0NESAW
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mcpeepants232003 - 
303 - I find it hard to believe that anyone can fight on a UFC card and make less than 10k. That 3k that Al Hassan made after taxes will be about 1600$. The UFC pays their fighters the best, but if they want to ensure that they keep getting the best talent rather than pay the Brocks, Randys, 500k they also need to start paying the up and coming fighters a little more.

why would they pay their up and coming fighters more? Fighters like Razzak Al-Hassan were barely established on the regional level before signing with the Ufc.
That's one of the great things about mma is you don't see the privileged rookies who are getting paid 8 times what veterans are but haven't even established themsleves yet.

What are you implying? Are you trying to tell me you don't think JaMarcus Russell should be making more than Tom Brady, both Mannings, and Drew Brees?
12/21/09 2:26 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

but JeMarcus can throw it 70 yards from his knees...
12/21/09 2:26 PM
forumnewb

Hus - It's all dirty...but perfectly legal.

taxing is dirty... but perfectly legal
12/21/09 2:27 PM
orcus

"You guys are complaining, but that's comparable to what the UFC pays, and much more than the UFC would pay for some of those fighters"

I don't see how you can say that when the UFC payroll you posted has guys like Gleison Tibau and Spencer Fisher making as much as or more than Strikeforce champion Josh Thomson. And Joe Stevenson making almost twice as much as anyone on the Strikeforce card with the exception of Cung Le who was headlining. Okami, who was buried (as usual) in a prelim, and Kyle Kingsbury, whom I don't even know who he is and who was also in a prelim, made close to what King Mo made, the highly hyped hot prospect on Strikeforce's main card.
12/21/09 2:29 PM
saerbarnet

Edited: 12/21/09 2:31 PM
Granpa - "You guys are complaining, but that's comparable to what the UFC pays, and much more than the UFC would pay for some of those fighters. Here's UFC 104 for comparison:
Joe Stevenson: $94,000 ($47,000 win bonus)"

Gilbert Melendez: $55,000 (No win bonus)
Josh Thompson: $30,000

lol yeah it's comparable.. A guy who got destroyed by the UFC champ makes more money for winning than the SF champ and the #2 LW in SF togheter.
12/21/09 2:31 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course the UFC pays more, they make more money and should pay more, but these are decent salaries for where they are right now

didnt Keith Jardine make like 10k when he fought Chuck for a UFC PPV main event? how much money did that generate?
12/21/09 2:33 PM
liquidrob

some of you guys crack me up, it used to be 'Affliction will die because they overpaid everyone!', now its 'Look at the money SF is paying, what a joke!'
12/21/09 2:36 PM
orcus

"Of course the UFC pays more, they make more money and should pay more, but these are decent salaries for where they are right now"

True, and it's good they're not overpaying like Affliction did.

Although if these numbers are accurate, I'm very curious as to why/how UFC did not sign some of these guys. Like how long are Thomson's and Melendez's contracts for? I can't imagine UFC wouldn't love to have those guys and neither of them have been fighting overseas or in other orgs in quite awhile, so one wouldn't think the exclusivity would be a dealbreaker for them. Why no King Mo? They've signed other guys with very little experience like Cain and Jon Jones. Jacare is of course a big missed opportunity.
12/21/09 2:37 PM
Hus
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/21/09 2:37 PM
 Anyone have the gate/attendance numbers? 

12/21/09 2:37 PM
smth416
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They better not give that whale Whitehead another fight.
12/21/09 2:38 PM
disbeliever
318 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does strikeforce offer open contracts for all of its fighters to fight elsewhere if they want?

orcus -  "Of course the UFC pays more, they make more money and should pay more, but these are decent salaries for where they are right now"

True, and it's good they're not overpaying like Affliction did.

Although if these numbers are accurate, I'm very curious as to why/how UFC did not sign some of these guys. Like how long are Thomson's and Melendez's contracts for? I can't imagine UFC wouldn't love to have those guys and neither of them have been fighting overseas or in other orgs in quite awhile, so one wouldn't think the exclusivity would be a dealbreaker for them. Why no King Mo? They've signed other guys with very little experience like Cain and Jon Jones. Jacare is of course a big missed opportunity.
12/21/09 2:41 PM
saerbarnet

I believe they can fight in other orgs as long as it's not interfering with the SF deal
12/21/09 2:41 PM
ShaqNoob
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -  Good to see Mo got fined for that bullshit.

LOL it was probably worth it. I'm pretty sure Rockstar gave him a nice bonus for that. See he even got us talking about Rockstar Energy Drink right here right now. Anyway, I enjoyed his fight and his post-fight celebration very much. #1 P4P at Moneyweight.

12/21/09 2:42 PM
disbeliever
318 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If this is true, it could be a deal breaker for some people. imo anyway

saerbarnet - I believe they can fight in other orgs as long as it's not interfering with the SF deal
12/21/09 2:50 PM
orcus

Edited: 12/21/09 2:51 PM
 "Does strikeforce offer open contracts for all of its fighters to fight elsewhere if they want?"

I think they cannot fight elsewhere in the U.S., but could in Japan. But that's my point -- Gil hasn't fought in Japan in years and Josh hasn't since 2005 in Bushido, so either their contracts are more restrictive than suspected or they just aren't interested or don't have the offers. In any case since they are NOT fighting elsewhere, it doesn't seem like that in itself would be a dealbreaker. Both guys would fit right into the UFC, both are very marketable and exciting, and they'd likely be paid more than their reported salaries here -- and that's not including various "of the night" bonuses which each would have great chances at earning.

Anyone know when their current contracts with SF began and how many fights remain?

As for guys like King Mo etc, maybe they want the freedom to fight in Japan, but I would not be surprised if all their fights for the duration of their SF contracts happen in Strikeforce.

12/21/09 2:52 PM
disbeliever

Well there has to be a reason why they signed with strikeforce.

Either the UFC did not want them
The UFC offerend some BS contract
Or the strikeforce contract is more than meets the eye so to speak.

orcus -  "Does strikeforce offer open contracts for all of its fighters to fight elsewhere if they want?"

I think they cannot fight elsewhere in the U.S., but could in Japan. But that's my point -- Gil hasn't fought in Japan in years and Josh hasn't since 2005 in Bushido, so either their contracts are more restrictive than suspected or they just aren't interested or don't have the offers. In any case since they are NOT fighting elsewhere, it doesn't seem like that in itself would be a dealbreaker. Both guys would fit right into the UFC, both are very marketable and exciting, and they'd likely be paid more than their reported salaries here -- and that's not including various "of the night" bonuses which each would have great chances at earning.

Anyone know when their current contracts with SF began and how many fights remain?
12/21/09 2:54 PM
RLL
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mo kept spilling that shit everywhere even after the official told him to stop, laughing the whole time.

That shit is worse than Brock bashing UFC sponsors in his interview- it's a danger to the other fighters after him and it's good he was fined. He will probably ruin that shit for everyone else now because they'll end up banning it and screweing guys out of their bonuses.
12/21/09 2:55 PM
TheVileOne
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know if this was true, but wasn't there something from the UFC about being worried that King Mo might turn out to be another Sokoudjou?

Oh well. I think Mo taking more fights right now in Strikeforce is what's best to his career. He already signed up with the EA MMA Game which going by Dana White means he won't be let into the UFC anyway :) .
12/21/09 2:56 PM
orcus

"Either the UFC did not want them
Or the strikeforce contract is more than meets the eye so to speak."

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. I thought it might be sort of Affliction-like in that Strikeforce was simply willing to pay significantly more than the guys were really worth, just because they need fighters to build the promotion around, but these look like very modest salaries. If UFC really offered less money than this for these guys, they dropped the ball big-time.
disbeliever

Yup

orcus -  "Either the UFC did not want them
Or the strikeforce contract is more than meets the eye so to speak."

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. I thought it might be sort of Affliction-like in that Strikeforce was simply willing to pay significantly more than the guys were really worth, just because they need fighters to build the promotion around, but these look like very modest salaries. If UFC really offered less money than this for these guys, they dropped the ball big-time.
Bat21
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JOB - Nakamura probably got paid under the table and was only paid $200 on an official level to avoid being stung with tax.

Bingo!
12/21/09 3:05 PM
mjmcnns

Paying Scott Smith that much money cannot be a viable budiness model...
12/21/09 3:06 PM
Hus

Hus -  Anyone have the gate/attendance numbers? 

TTT                                   ^^^ Has CSAC released them yet?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.