UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Evolution salaries: Cung Le 150K, King Mo fined

12/21/09 3:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. I thought it might be sort of Affliction-like in that Strikeforce was simply willing to pay significantly more than the guys were really worth, just because they need fighters to build the promotion around, but these look like very modest salaries. If UFC really offered less money than this for these guys, they dropped the ball big-time"

WFA did the same thing, but the difference with Strikeforce is the TV networks behind the promotion. So who knows what their balance sheet looks like...
12/21/09 3:35 PM
Veegoh
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Strikeforce: Evolution" draws 14,749 for $634,000 live gate

Both the attendance and gate figures are solid for the organization. "Evolution" was largely overshadowed by last month's "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers" event and had a far smaller marketing push. However, with its roots in the Silicon Valley city and the many San Jose-based fight camp (including the American Kickboxing Academy), Strikeforce has consistently drawn well when hosting shows at the HP Pavilion.

Of Strikeforce's six events at the HP Pavilion in the past two years, "Strikeforce: Evolution" had the third highest attendance.

The full list includes:
  1. 16,326: "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Le" (March 2008)
  2. 15,211: "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz" (April 2009)
  3. 14,749: "Strikeforce: Evolution" (December 2009)
  4. 13,976: "Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg" (August 2009)
  5. 8,152: "Strikeforce: Destruction" (November 2008)
  6. 7,288: "Strikeforce: Thomson vs. Melendez" (July 2008)

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17301/strikeforce-evolution-draws-14749-for-634000-live-gate.mma

12/21/09 3:39 PM
mmasam
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryase - $200? Did he answer an ad in the flyer?

lol.. that cannot be real? wtf?
12/21/09 3:43 PM
Winston Wolf

blue63 - 
ShaqNoob - 
orcus -  Good to see Mo got fined for that bullshit.

LOL it was probably worth it. I'm pretty sure Rockstar gave him a nice bonus for that. See he even got us talking about Rockstar Energy Drink right here right now. Anyway, I enjoyed his fight and his post-fight celebration very much. #1 P4P at Moneyweight.

You enjoyed him fucking up the canvas for every fight that followed?

im hoping MO does well but i couldnt believe he was purposely spilling the drink all over the cage.If u noticed in the next fight Melendez and Thompson both slipped a few times from the spills
12/21/09 3:43 PM
super chin
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pretty modest pay, but it's probably what strikeforce needs to do right now to stay viable.
12/21/09 3:52 PM
saerbarnet

Why do you blame the energy drink for the slips? Those things are so full of sugar that if anything it should make the canvas stickier than usual.
12/21/09 3:52 PM
Marco808

$150K seems like an awful lot for Cung Le. I think that's how much BJ got paid to show in his last fight. Is Cung really that big of a draw? I know I was more excited to see Melendez-Thomson and Jacare-Lindland than the Cung fight.
12/21/09 3:56 PM
Tombmatter

When you sign with Strikeforce, you are not in danger of making your whole gym unemployed if you dont want to sign away your likeness rights for free.
12/21/09 3:56 PM
Crush Crawfish
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

saerbarnet - Why do you blame the energy drink for the slips? Those things are so full of sugar that if anything it should make the canvas stickier than usual.

Correct. Still a jackassy thing to do though.
12/21/09 3:57 PM
JimmersonzGlove
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

liquidrob - some of you guys crack me up, it used to be 'Affliction will die because they overpaid everyone!', now its 'Look at the money SF is paying, what a joke!'

+1
12/21/09 4:07 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marco808 - $150K seems like an awful lot for Cung Le. I think that's how much BJ got paid to show in his last fight. Is Cung really that big of a draw? I know I was more excited to see Melendez-Thomson and Jacare-Lindland than the Cung fight.

yes, Cung is big in San Jose, without Cung they probably dont get 10k in the Shark Tank
12/21/09 4:09 PM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is that good for you ? And why would would you care ?
12/21/09 4:12 PM
JimmersonzGlove
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

liquidrob - 
Marco808 - $150K seems like an awful lot for Cung Le. I think that's how much BJ got paid to show in his last fight. Is Cung really that big of a draw? I know I was more excited to see Melendez-Thomson and Jacare-Lindland than the Cung fight.

yes, Cung is big in San Jose, without Cung they probably dont get 10k in the Shark Tank
The first Thompson/Melendez fight with no Cung:

"The June 27 event, which took place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., drew 7,288 spectators for a live gate of $355,487. The event aired live on HDNet."

Source: mmajunkie.com/news/4707/strikeforce-melendez-vs-thomson-official-salaries-headliners-share-85000.mma

12/21/09 4:22 PM
orcus

SKARHEAD - 

Why is that good for you ? And why would would you care ?

I care because it makes a mess of the mat for the other fighters to deal with. It's good that they fined him because maybe now he won't do it again.

Very difficult concepts to grasp, I know. At the gym you train at every day, would you be cool with someone pouring soda all over the place?
12/21/09 4:39 PM
Marco808

liquidrob - 

Okay, I stand corrected. Had no idea he was that big.
12/21/09 4:42 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Veegoh -   "Strikeforce: Evolution" draws 14,749 for $634,000 live gate
Both the attendance and gate figures are solid for the organization. "Evolution" was largely overshadowed by last month's "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers" event and had a far smaller marketing push. However, with its roots in the Silicon Valley city and the many San Jose-based fight camp (including the American Kickboxing Academy), Strikeforce has consistently drawn well when hosting shows at the HP Pavilion.

Of Strikeforce's six events at the HP Pavilion in the past two years, "Strikeforce: Evolution" had the third highest attendance.

The full list includes:
16,326: "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Le" (March 2008) 15,211: "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz" (April 2009) 14,749: "Strikeforce: Evolution" (December 2009) 13,976: "Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg" (August 2009) 8,152: "Strikeforce: Destruction" (November 2008) 7,288: "Strikeforce: Thomson vs. Melendez" (July 2008)

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17301/strikeforce-evolution-draws-14749-for-634000-live-gate.mma 

Cung has a strong fan base, but Frank is still the King of San Jose
12/21/09 4:42 PM
RKing85
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

StrikeForce is paying pretty well. Hopefully some young up and comers come up and decide to go to StrikeForce so they get more talent.
12/21/09 5:25 PM
HULKSMASH

I was screaming at the TV when that DUMB FUCK was spilling his drink all over the cage..

ninjas will be ninjas..
12/21/09 5:26 PM
Mmanizzle

Cung Le is the man in San Jose son - rekkinize.... Why would he get fined for splashing the drink? Stupid...
12/21/09 5:30 PM
HELWIG
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How hard would it have been to show the can to the camera, take a sip and plug your sponsor like a normal human being with some sense of dignity and composure?

12/21/09 5:40 PM
Elite Hunting

B0NESAW - 
mcpeepants232003 - 
303 - I find it hard to believe that anyone can fight on a UFC card and make less than 10k. That 3k that Al Hassan made after taxes will be about 1600$. The UFC pays their fighters the best, but if they want to ensure that they keep getting the best talent rather than pay the Brocks, Randys, 500k they also need to start paying the up and coming fighters a little more.

why would they pay their up and coming fighters more? Fighters like Razzak Al-Hassan were barely established on the regional level before signing with the Ufc.
That's one of the great things about mma is you don't see the privileged rookies who are getting paid 8 times what veterans are but haven't even established themsleves yet.

What are you implying? Are you trying to tell me you don't think JaMarcus Russell should be making more than Tom Brady, both Mannings, and Drew Brees?

JaMarcus Russel does not make more than Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. For 2009 he makes slightly more than Eli Manning and a good deal more than Drew Brees.

The top 5 NFL QB by salary (2009):

1. Peyton Manning, 21.2 million
2. Donovan McNabb, 16.8 million
3. Matt Cassel, 15.2 million
4. Tom Brady, 14.6 million
5. Carson Palmer, 14.3 million
12/21/09 5:43 PM
Fletch F Fletch

LOL @ $200! One more fight, and Nakamura can buy a PS3!
12/21/09 6:04 PM
CindyO

Edited: 12/21/09 7:24 PM
JimmersonzGlove - 
liquidrob - some of you guys crack me up, it used to be 'Affliction will die because they overpaid everyone!', now its 'Look at the money SF is paying, what a joke!'

+1

+2. SF fighters are obviously happy or they wouldn't have signed the contract. I seriously doubt the amounts shown are the actual figures.

Cindy

12/21/09 10:00 PM
HULKSMASH

HELWIG -  How hard would it have been to show the can to the camera, take a sip and plug your sponsor like a normal human being with some sense of dignity and composure?

cuz ninjas will be ninjas!
12/22/09 1:13 AM
ShaqNoob
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

blue63 - 
ShaqNoob - 

LOL it was probably worth it. I'm pretty sure Rockstar gave him a nice bonus for that. See he even got us talking about Rockstar Energy Drink right here right now. Anyway, I enjoyed his fight and his post-fight celebration very much. #1 P4P at Moneyweight.

You enjoyed him fucking up the canvas for every fight that followed?
Room for another sponsor just opened up.

Holds 12x its weight in liquid!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.