UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Which 30.06 ?

12/21/09 8:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Going to buy a new thirty-ought-six and have 3 in mind. A Remington model 700 with synthetic stock, a savage 110, or a Weatherby Vanguard. Scope will probably be a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x50. Which would you chose? Any other suggestions? I`m leaning towards the 700 mainly because of all the options and add-ons available, but I have a Savage 10 Predator in .243 that is a tack driver. With 55 grain 3900fps loads it is a predator machine.
12/22/09 12:41 AM
Jay ak
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Had a guy shoot a new Savage next to me in 300 Win Mag and blew the barrel up, looked like he peeled a banana. Yes, we just looked at it before hand and nothing was stuck in the barrel, was scary. He sent it back and they gave him a new gun with no fuss on what happened, must have been a factory FUBAR. I would go with the Rem Mod 700, I have four Ruger's in 220 Swift, 300 Win Mag, 7mm Mag and 375 Ruger, they have been very good, Rem's are also very good. I have never used a Nikon Scope, pretty much stuck to Leupold's and never had a failure of any kind.
12/22/09 11:04 AM
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jay ak - Had a guy shoot a new Savage next to me in 300 Win Mag and blew the barrel up, looked like he peeled a banana. Yes, we just looked at it before hand and nothing was stuck in the barrel, was scary. He sent it back and they gave him a new gun with no fuss on what happened, must have been a factory FUBAR. I would go with the Rem Mod 700, I have four Ruger's in 220 Swift, 300 Win Mag, 7mm Mag and 375 Ruger, they have been very good, Rem's are also very good. I have never used a Nikon Scope, pretty much stuck to Leupold's and never had a failure of any kind.

Damn! I think the rem is going to win out, unless I cough up more dough and get the gun I really want.. Winchester model 70. Ruger #1 would be nice but they are pricey.
12/22/09 11:10 AM
wheeels

Savage all the way, it will most likely be the most accurate out of the box. The gap of add-ons between Rem and Savage is also getting smaller.

Nikon are nice scopes for the money.. you should also have a look at Vortex Vipers, amazing optics for the money and a warranty that's second to none.

Sorry, I don't buy the magical barrel blowing up story unless there was a blockage.
12/22/09 1:07 PM
MachetePhil
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Savage's new rifles are really good, I second a vote for Savage.  I think they just started making model 70's again and I'd love to have one for nostalgia reasons, but they had years of clusterf*ck contracting issues with the building of them before stopping altogether, then recently restarting....iirc.  So if I had to choose between Rem. 700 and model 70, I'd go with Rem. 700. 

That being said, right now I'd probably get a new Savage rifle out of the three. They seem to have their shit together and are really making some good rifles now.  Floating barrels, new bolt designs, headspace control, and adjustable trigger, it's hard for me to go against a Remington model 700, but I'd vote for the Savage right now. 

I have to call shenanagans on the banana peel barrel as well.  Without an extreme blockage, or a completely fubarred barrel I don't even see how it could happen.  Pics?
12/23/09 10:38 AM
Hillbilly

I can`t say enough good about my savage .243, so the barrel story sounds a little strange to me too but weirder things have happened. What do you guys think of the Weatherby Vangaurds? Honestly I`m so happy with my Savage that it`s hard not to get a second one but I`ve always wanted a rem 700..

I suck at making up my mind when it comes to shopping.
12/23/09 10:53 AM
wheeels

If you're concerned about not having enough selection of add-ons for a Savage versus a Remington, you should be waaay more concerned with a Weatherby.

Weatherby, like brownings, are pretty rifles.. but they don't shoot better than anything else and the aftermarket is next to none. Tikka's are in the same boat except the T3's are probably one of the more accurate rifles out-of-the-box... just make sure you're happy with it because aftermarket anything for a Tikka is rare.
12/29/09 10:30 PM
Jay ak

Hey, I have never seen anything like it. The gun was new, shot twice and he took it hunting. The weather was dry and he was using a large rock for a rest, we took out the bolt prior to hitting the beach and it was clear. He walked an estimated 500 yards and took point on a deer and BLAM, peeled the barrel. I would not believe it either except I was sitting next to the guy. It must have been a major factory flaw, we never heard a word or any explanation from Savage, they just sent a new gun?
12/30/09 10:50 AM
Hillbilly

Was he shooting handloads?
12/30/09 10:20 PM
Jay ak

NO, Factory loads. I have done a bunch of reloading for my rifles, but seem to have ran out of time lately.
12/30/09 10:32 PM
Jay ak

Edited: 12/30/09 10:33 PM
I have never had a problem with any reloads that i have done in my rifles. I have split some necks on some cases after they have been reloaded a couple of time though.

I bought a new Ruger M77, stainless, syn stock in a 260 Rem when they first came out with the round. Took it out, mounted the scope and had a grouping the size of a trash can lid at 50 yards. I figured the scope was crap so I tried a different scope, tried a couple of different loads and still sucked. Sent it back to Ruger, they gave me no explanation and said they would not give me an explanation, but said the problem was fixed. The rifle shot fine after that, so FUBARS do happen at the factory, rare, but I have seen two first hand.

Any of the major gun manufacturers make great firearms. Some guys are partial to certain brands like anything else. If you go with a Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Weatherby, Savage, etc they will work just fine. Pick a rifle that fits you when you put it to your shoulder, probably the most important.

Did you buy a rifle yet? What State are you in?
12/31/09 11:44 AM
Hillbilly

I`m in Arkansas. No I haven`t bought one yet, but It should be next week. I live in the sticks so it`s a 75-100 mile drive to a good gun shop. except Wison Combat Arms is 20 miles from here. I`m not really into the tactical stuff so I don`t go there, but they do build great 1911A`s.

Still leaning toward a rem 700, but I agree with you that Ruger, Savage, Rem, Win, Sako are all good choices. Thats my problem...too many fucking choices.lol. I`m pretty set on a 30.06 though.
12/31/09 12:21 PM
Jay ak

Cannot go wrong with an 06, good luck on your search.
1/12/10 2:24 AM
topteam71
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The 06 is the most versatile caliber, varmints to moose. Savage is a great buy, so is the weatherby, take a look at some of the Rugers, rugged and dependable.
2/5/10 12:32 PM
GaryG
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hillbilly - 
Jay ak - Had a guy shoot a new Savage next to me in 300 Win Mag and blew the barrel up, looked like he peeled a banana. Yes, we just looked at it before hand and nothing was stuck in the barrel, was scary. He sent it back and they gave him a new gun with no fuss on what happened, must have been a factory FUBAR. I would go with the Rem Mod 700, I have four Ruger's in 220 Swift, 300 Win Mag, 7mm Mag and 375 Ruger, they have been very good, Rem's are also very good. I have never used a Nikon Scope, pretty much stuck to Leupold's and never had a failure of any kind.

Damn! I think the rem is going to win out, unless I cough up more dough and get the gun I really want.. Winchester model 70. Ruger #1 would be nice but they are pricey.

All things being equal, get the gun you really want. I've bought a couple guns I could "afford" rather than what I really wanted. I always regretted it.

"Pick a rifle that fits you when you put it to your shoulder, probably the most important."

Well said Jay
2/20/10 10:47 PM
WildFireJoe
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I`m leaning towards the 700 mainly because of all the options and add-ons available, but I have a Savage 10 Predator in .243 that is a tack driver. With 55 grain 3900fps loads it is a predator machine.

Savage, I got a Steven's 200 (Economy Savage) in .308 and that thing shoots beautiful, but like you said there aren't many aftermarket options.
Hogue is supposed to come out with their Overmolded stock for Savage's in March though... *Fingers crossed*
2/21/10 10:58 PM
Muppetmower88

what about a howa 1500? the action is sick and very nice rifles. and many stocks available just like 700's
4/28/10 5:50 PM
MichaelVronsky
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt, i'm looking into the savage 111... anybody own one?
12/20/10 10:01 PM
jack black

What kind of add ons do you get for a bolt action, reason asking the browning x bolt fits me the best and apparently they don't have many add ons.
12/21/10 5:45 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for straight out of the box, savage is doing well. It took 10 minutes for us to get a dead on shot at 100 yards with repeated performance. I guess Savage hasnt always been the shit but for the price and utility, Savage is doing good. Good entry level rifle. With mine, my buddy is a professional gunsmith and we intend on messing with it and doing some stuff to the barrel and turning it OD green. Just for fun and customizing a cheap rifle that is reliable.
1/16/11 8:04 PM
Tommy V

I'm going to get a new bolt action this summer. Also been leaning towards a savage
1/17/11 5:25 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to have a REM 700 just because of its history as a multipurpose sniper/hunting rifle.
7/28/11 10:57 AM
dentalninja
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Remington ain't what it used to be. Not a fan of the model 700, at all. Bought an ADL in .308 brand new last year that wouldn't hit the broadside of a barn at 100 yards. Changed out the scope mounts & scope (went from Bushnell to Leupold)...same results. Went to a gunsmith & had the barrel bedded and action screws torqued to specs...same results. 10-12" groups at 100 yards with match-grade ammo. Even tried some custom handloads the guy next to me at the range shoots at 600- and 1000-yard tourneys...no improvement. The head guy at the range said he'd never seen a new namebrand rifle shoot that poorly.

Rem 700 ADL .308 on sale new for $450.
Bushnell scope $150
Leupold scope $750
Scope mounts & rings $75 total
Bedding $175
Total cost: $1600.00 for a total P.O.S. that may be a 25-yard gun

Sold it for a whopping $375 (with the Bushnell scope).

Go with the Savage, especially if you're looking for bang for the buck. You can get a model 110 in .30-06 at WalMart WITH a decent scope for under $400. You could buy 4 of them for what I invested in my Rem 700.

And the Savage will likely be a 1-1.5 MOA gun, easily.
7/28/11 11:47 AM
Roidz Rule

You can't go wrong with a 700. One of the all time great guns. However I like to suggest you consider a Winchester Model 70 with a pre-64 action, also a classic rifle. I own both a 700 and a model 70. If you can find one at a good price you cant go wrong.
7/28/11 11:48 AM
Roidz Rule

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.